Samsung reportedly dropped as memory supplier for first batch of next-gen iPhones

Comments

• Reply 41 of 137
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I won't be surprised if Micron gets in on the action for Apple.

I think Micron is trying to acquire Elpida and save it from bankruptcy.
  • Reply 42 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You don't think losing over $12 billion in revenue a year wouldn't affect their business? You don't think that losing 7.5% of their revenue is a big deal? Unbelievable!

Just because Apple isn't buying the memory doesn't mean Samsung is going to lose revenue. Flash memory anymore is essentially a commodity. If Apple is shifting their purchasing to other suppliers, that simply means those suppliers will be limited in what they can offer to others, who will therefore look to Samsung.  

• Reply 43 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I can understand that.  The taller screen on the 6th generation iPhone is not a big deal in my opinion.  What really would have made it for me is a wider and taller screen.  This next generation iPhone reminds me of the 5th generation iPod Nano that had the tall screen.  Kind of gaudy.

Almost, if not all, large-screened smartphones have a 16:9 aspect ratio. You know, a too-tall-not-wide-enough display for you. If you want a wider aspect ratio, I can point you to the current gen iPhone 4S with a 3:2 aspect ratio. The next gen iPhone is simply going widescreen like everyone else is already doing.

It seems like your issue with the new iPhone display is that they didn't make it larger than 4 inches. I would concede that maybe you're issue is that Apple isn't keeping a 3:2 aspect ration on an enlarged 4 inch display, but you've already previously pointed to other smartphones with 16:9 aspect ratios that you feel are superior to the next iPhone's display. So your "too tall" opinion is kind of bogus. Why don't you just say you want a larger than 4 inch display? It's more honest than saying the next iPhone's display is too tall for your liking when everyone else's displays were too tall before the iPhone was even going in that direction.

• Reply 44 of 137
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    e_veritas wrote: »
    solipsismx wrote: »
    You don't think losing over $12 billion in revenue a year wouldn't affect their business? You don't think that losing 7.5% of their revenue is a big deal? Unbelievable!
    Just because Apple isn't buying the memory doesn't mean Samsung is going to lose revenue. Flash memory anymore is essentially a commodity. If Apple is shifting their purchasing to other suppliers, that simply means those suppliers will be limited in what they can offer to others, who will therefore look to Samsung.  

Unless there is overcapacity in the industry, which there has been from time to time.
  • Reply 45 of 137
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

So which of their competitors will Samsung sell to?

Who has the money?

Motorola, HTC, Sony, Huawei, Pantech or any of the other OEM's fighting over the crumbs Apple and Samsung leave behind.

They won't be getting cash up front anymore.

• Reply 46 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I love that they're pretending it's "trolling" and that it's something I actually believe, and then they go on to want to block me. I don't get it… have these people never heard of sarcasm or satire before? For heaven's sake.

Did anyone notice I can't bring myself to call it the "iPhone 5", even in my Anti-Apple Brigade fantasy… 

The fact that you don't believe it, and are only posting it in hopes of spurring negative comments, is by definition "trolling."

As a moderator, you should A) know that, and B) be above such behavior.

And you wonder why users wish they could block you.

• Reply 47 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Yeah, right Samsung has proved they are untrustworthy as a supplier, there are obviously leaks between their component supply business and their device designers.

Creating a glut could backfire slightly as Samsung will have to dump excess inventory.

Not excess inventory, but excess production capacity. Which may need to be kept active by discounting chip prices...which Apple will snatch up to the detriment of the overall Samsung bottom line.

The court case revealed that while the Samscum chip division actively fed info to the Samscum handset division. 

• Reply 48 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Why is this about personalities... It's supposed to be about tech topics of interest to Apple users... Use FaceBook for the other...

This is the ONLY board I know of where the Global Moderator actively derails about half the threads with his own personal issues or arguments. He needs to fade gently into the background so the threads are on topic.

• Reply 49 of 137

One other thing... Apple bought an Israeli company that has developed a way to get longer life out of the memory chips. Apple, knowing Samscum's unethical bald-faced copying, may want to bring these chips into the market without worrying about Samscum ripping the IP off.

• Reply 50 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I think Micron is trying to acquire Elpida and save it from bankruptcy.

Good to know as I've been following Micron to determine when to invest in it.

• Reply 51 of 137
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Wish we could block moderators because I am getting real tired of reading TS posts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omar Morales View Post

I am with you. Instead of moderating its more like trolling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardkim View Post

I second that motion ...

You poor babies!

You want some tissues for your issues?

• Reply 52 of 137
    modemode Posts: 163member

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardkim View Post

I second that motion ...

And thousands of others 3rd the motion.

Say goodbye to Appleinsider - when they hand the keys over to a seething Apple fanatic troll who has already been 'editing' posts. 

Hear that Appleinsider?... the sound of your ad revenue crashing to the floor...

We have already pulled you from our media buying list.

Even Apple isn't stupid enough to put fanatics in charge of their product.... have you paid no attention at all???

Talk about a fatal miscalculation. It's the forums that make the site, and you know that.

Will be refreshing to see who steps up to replace this propaganda blog.

C'est la vie

• Reply 53 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Lets get rid of all samsung manufacturing and depend on other companies making them grow and prosper.

Waiting for you to name some companies....

• Reply 54 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

My bet is on one or many Chinese brands that haven't export to the U.S. Those that don't sell their stuff in America but have enough volume to make tidy profit, and perhaps safe from Apple's lawsuits. Abandond America and go for greener pasture in China seems to be in Samsung's one of many battle plans.

To get the actual name, is there someone here living in Shanghai, Hong Kong or Beijing that walks through mobile phone malls and markets on regular basis? I need someone like that to answer the question. Anybody?

• Reply 55 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

By the way, how the local Finnish news outlets response to Lumia release?

• Reply 56 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mode View Post

And thousands of others 3rd the motion.

Say goodbye to Appleinsider - when they hand the keys over to a seething Apple fanatic troll who has already been 'editing' posts. 

Hear that Appleinsider?... the sound of your ad revenue crashing to the floor...

We have already pulled you from our media buying list.

Even Apple isn't stupid enough to put fanatics in charge of their product.... have you paid no attention at all???

Talk about a fatal miscalculation. It's the forums that make the site, and you know that.

Will be refreshing to see who steps up to replace this propaganda blog.

C'est la vie

Roughly Drafted is dead. who is next; Apple Insider or MacRumour?

BUT, has the gold rush of Apple blogosphere really over?

• Reply 57 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

You poor babies!

You want some tissues for your issues?

Not from you you drongo!

• Reply 58 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

This is the ONLY board I know of where the Global Moderator actively derails about half the threads with his own personal issues or arguments. He needs to fade gently into the background so the threads are on topic.

I wonder sometimes if TS is a hatchet man on AI's payroll to drive up traffic and not the real mod.

• Reply 59 of 137
    chris_ca wrote: »
    Hook, line & sinker...
    (4 so far) :lol:
    Yep Yep!
  • Reply 60 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Wish we could block moderators because I am getting real tired of reading TS posts.

i don't understand why he's here... do Apple supporters troll Microsoft/Android blogs?