Launch of Apple's new iMac lineup is 'imminent' - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    razorpit wrote: »
    I hope Mini's aren't far behind on the update path...

The lack of rumors here is extremely sad. Make me wonder if it is about to be replaced. That would be a shame too because Ivy Bridge would make for a very interesting Mini update.
  • Reply 22 of 90

My 2012 Quad Core i7 iMac has just bitten the bullet. Dead ram sticks, dead ram slots, damaged LCD display and the glass shattered into razor blades of death! Even before that happened something was wrong with the bluetooth and the EFI ROM (it stopped detecting connected disks - both internal and external).

Although I pretty much have to empty my ISA, I will end up having a next gen iMac for actual justified reasons rather than just wanting one.

Bitter sweet... victory?

• Reply 23 of 90
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Whats the cost/benefit on retina iMacs? I mean I'd never go back to a non-retina phone or tablet on the iMac would it really be that noticeable? Aren't the iMacs well beyond HD anyway?
  • Reply 24 of 90
    dalidrama wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind them leaving it out - would make it cheaper plus it's the first thing to fail after a couple years.  I own an external bluray/dvd/cd burner i bought for less than $100 and that is where it may go: you want it - buy the external.

The removal of optical drives is one of those things that leaves me with mixed feelings. Frankly over the years my luck with optical drives has been very mixed. As such I don't really trust them. The problem on the iMac is that space wise I don't think the optical is a big deal. Thus it does look to be premature to see them removed.

Externals opticals are like external hard drives, they certainly work but they are also a pain in the ass! one big disappointment I have with the retina MBP is that they didn't leave room for a magnetic disk to supplement the SSD. It is a serious shortcoming in my mind.
  • Reply 25 of 90

Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

By the way, if smartphones are going to have 'team colour', which colour would be for each brand?

Apple - black?

Samsung -blue

LG - red and white

HTC - light green and white

Nokia - blue (lighter shade than Samsung)

Sony - black

Microsoft - quadcolour?

Google Nexus - red, blue and yellow

We should mock up flags as though they're countries… No clue what the use thereafter would be, but it'd be an interesting activity, at least. Kill some time before the keynote.

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The lack of rumors here is extremely sad. Make me wonder if it is about to be replaced.

They just gave the case a redesign. I somehow doubt that; don't worry. We never hear anything about the Mac Mini. The aforementioned redesign not only came without rumor, it was a silent update from Apple; no event, no mention.

• Reply 26 of 90
    What did you do, punch it out?
    My 2012 Quad Core i7 iMac has just bitten the bullet. Dead ram sticks, dead ram slots, damaged LCD display and the glass shattered into razor blades of death! Even before that happened something was wrong with the bluetooth and the EFI ROM (it stopped detecting connected disks - both internal and external).

Although I pretty much have to empty my ISA, I will end up having a next gen iMac for actual justified reasons rather than just wanting one.

Bitter sweet... victory?
  • Reply 27 of 90
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This iMac update is a long time coming. It'll be a good update, too: Ivy Bridge, new GPUs, standard bumps to HDD and RAM, no optical drive, USB 3, maybe the number of Thunderbolt upped to 2 and 3, respectively.

But does anyone else think that people might hold off on it because it won't be getting a retina display?

I won't be waiting for it. My iMac's logic board died in May and it was 7 years old anyway. Using my work laptop since...

• Reply 28 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

By the way, if smartphones are going to have 'team colour', which colour would be for each brand?

Apple - black?

I think Silver & Black would be more like it...

Which, parenthetically, are the "Team Colors" of the Oakland Raiders (just across the bay from Cupertino) - Remember that pirate flag over the design team building back during the dawn of Mac?

• Reply 29 of 90
    This iMac update is a long time coming. It'll be a good update, too: Ivy Bridge, new GPUs, standard bumps to HDD and RAM, no optical drive, USB 3, maybe the number of Thunderbolt upped to 2 and 3, respectively.

But does anyone else think that people might hold off on it because it won't be getting a retina display?

On an earlier thread @Wizard69 postulated that Apple would release an updated 27" display with retina before an iMac 27" with retina...

This makes sense to me as it could address the "pro" needs while accommodating cost and yield issues.

I've been waiting for an iMac upgrade, and will replace my old Cinema Display too -- if the 27" display gets retina.
  • Reply 30 of 90

I would like to see the iMacs retain their optical drives.  Like AjitMD, I think it would be great for watching DVDs.  There is plenty of space in an iMac, and making it a little smaller/lighter is not such a huge consideration as it is in something that you are going to carry around with you.  iMacs get moved once a year perhaps?  Even the non-retina MacBook Pros still have optical drives.  As such I don't think the iMac will lose its optical drive yet.

Also, Gustav, there are many people who don't watch much TV/Movies.  I know the average American watches 4 hours of TV per day, but I am lucky to watch that much in a month, as such, my biggest HDTV is a 19" 720p.  A 27 inch screen in a place like a bedroom is a decent size to watch the occasional movie.  There are plenty of titles on Netflix that are not available via streaming.

• Reply 31 of 90
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member

Quote:

The lack of rumors here is extremely sad. Make me wonder if it is about to be replaced. That would be a shame too because Ivy Bridge would make for a very interesting Mini update.

I don't see the Mini being replaced or dropped for a very long time.  It's the entry-level product, and while they don't hype it's release very often, it's the machine that gets low-spending PC users in the door...  Once they are hooked, we up-sell them to an iMac or MacBook.

Additionally, the Mini has become the new XServe for many small businesses...  It's the perfect server-box for anyone looking for basic server functionality, and at a bargain of a price too (I believe Windows Small Business Server is an $800 license -- compared to Apple's $30).

• Reply 32 of 90

I'll be at the front of the queue, drooling, for a new 27" iMac to replace my 2007 20" iMac which 16yr old son will get.

• Reply 33 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

I think that leaving out the DVD drive out of the iMac may be premature.  I still rent DVDs, and even BluRay.  With such a nice display, it makes fun watching movies on the 27" iMac and it is better than my regular HDTV.  More so when Apple introduces Retina Display.  

I have tons of DVDs. Besides, I remember recently reading about iTunes only being some kind of "rent" of movies. Can't give my DVD or resell it if I don't have a dvd but some iTunes pseudosale...

• Reply 34 of 90
    fracfrac Posts: 480member

Bitter sweet... victory?

That's....baaad...
    Power surge maybe? I learned that lesson a while ago and it fried a G5 MacPro.
    You did say 2012 so it's still guarrenteed and Apple let me upgrade when I returned a malfunctioning machine as new.
    The isa is probably under performing anyway.
  • Reply 35 of 90
    ajitmd wrote: »
    I think that leaving out the DVD drive out of the iMac may be premature.  I still rent DVDs, and even BluRay.  With such a nice display, it makes fun watching movies on the 27" iMac and it is better than my regular HDTV.  More so when Apple introduces Retina Display.  

I agree that the iMac 27" is great for watching videos and DVDs.

You can get an idea how video will exploit a retina display at:

http://michaelcioni.tumblr.com/post/19561057034/ipad-going-invisible

He has some files that you can download then display on a 27" iMac and compare it with the same files on a retina iPad...

As discussed in the article, retina brings a certain texture and presence to the images that you don't get on lower pixel densities.

The difference is noticeable -- even for these old eyes.
  • Reply 36 of 90

I just hope they do not remove the DVD drive, I know it not really need these days, but that is feature which I still use and have lots of CD and DVD with programs and such on and I am not going to put all that information in the cloud that is for sure.

• Reply 37 of 90

Is the iMac an awesome machine?

Is it a good buy for, let's say, college? i would love one, but i just cannot afford them. However that screen is so beautiful already. Avengers would look great on that, especially Scarlet and her leather suit..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I just hope they do not remove the DVD drive, I know it not really need these days, but that is feature which I still use and have lots of CD and DVD with programs and such on and I am not going to put all that information in the cloud that is for sure.

I hope they do.. the opinion of a single user is irrelevant compared to the benefits of such measure. Remember, the iMac is more than a computer.. it's beauty in the form of a computer.

• Reply 38 of 90
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can't wait! It'll be my first direct desktop purchase since I started using notebooks way back in the late 90's.

As much as I love my MBA (with a 27" monitor at the office), there's still nothing like have a dedicated desktop machine.  I love my late 2009 i7 iMac and the extra horsepower it has.  When I work from home, it's still more pleasing to use, especially where graphics are concerned.

Hope you enjoy your new iMac when it comes out.  I'm eyeing an upgrade to mine as well.  I already have someone interested in buying my current iMac, but I'm also considering using it as a second display.

• Reply 39 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frac View Post

That's....baaad...

Power surge maybe? I learned that lesson a while ago and it fried a G5 MacPro.

You did say 2012 so it's still guarrenteed and Apple let me upgrade when I returned a malfunctioning machine as new.

The isa is probably under performing anyway.

I think the EFI Might have been a power surge of some description. The iMac was on the same circuit as all my music production gear and synthesizers aren't exactly surge friendly.

Quote:

What did you do, punch it out?

Summersault off of a shitty desk. The desk had bowed and the stand on the iMac was slightly wonky. So it fell forward face first onto the desk, but it had enough weight and momentum to then slide off the desk and onto a laminate wood floor.

• Reply 40 of 90
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member

Bitter sweet... victory?

seems more like user error. . . .