AppleInsider's New Look (This thread was about the first Huddler redesign)

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014

Now we just need the forums to be upgraded, oh and could you guys make it so we can copy and paste, instead of having that paste button popup? Chrome autocorrect is broked. :(

Comments

• Reply 1 of 215
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Cool new layout! Too much white though :)
  • Reply 2 of 215

Huh, when did that happen? 

There's not enough contrast, in my opinion. I think I'll have some fun playing with the CSS. UI design's one of my hobbies.

Oh, and about the Huddler thing, I agree that browsers should never be able to supersede OS commands. Like the right-click menu here or those modal popups that prevent tabs from closing, you know? 

• Reply 3 of 215

I thought AI had been hacked or something. Oh well, I suppose I'll get used to it...

• Reply 4 of 215

Hmmm... not a fan of the redesign. Too much white negative space, and the font seems harder to read.

/curmudgeon

• Reply 5 of 215

I completely agree - the main page update is outstanding.

Of course, I have to say that observation is contrasted with the recent 9to5 update, which basically eliminated easy scannability. This is at least generally scannable on a short news day. On September 12, when there are a dozen Apple-related headlines, the main page will be difficult to scan.

I also tend to agree that there are still some challenges:

• The left-right scroll for headlines should be narrowed to show three items rather than two, and the graphics reduced.

• "Backpage Headlines" should be "Back Page Headlines" (let's not make up words).

• They should tighten up the space between the date and its header line, and I'd say the date should be right-aligned (note the space between the headline scroll and the top horizontal line, then note the space between that top horizontal line and the "Friday, September 07, 2012" date).

• They should have a "Today/This Week/All" toggle.

• Strange that none of the section headers ("Active Forum Topics"/"Reviews"/"Backpage Headlines") are clickable - although on the article pages, you can at least click through to the General topic - appleinsider.com/categories/General - what are the other categories? The "On Topic" headlines in the right column aren't clickable, either.

• They should have some sort of byline attribution on the headline.

• If you click through to an article, there should be an obvious breadcrumb or "back to main" option (I normally click the AI logo, but this "stateless" page design doesn't thrill me.

• Also, if you click through to an article, the right side column shows 5 "Latest Apple Headlines." Why not offer that on the main page? Why doesn't that allow someone to click through to more headlines?

However, this is a nice update away from a design that looks primitive in retrospect. :-)

• Reply 6 of 215
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strat09 View Post

and the website looks awesome...

To me it looks a really messy, herky-jerky slide show which conflicts with the drop downs, and the logo with the bite out of the "i"...uh, no

• Reply 7 of 215
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    mstone wrote: »
    To me it looks a really messy, herky-jerky slide show which conflicts with the drop downs, and the logo with the bite out of the "i"...uh, no

me too ...
  • Reply 8 of 215
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

me too ...

They've got their work cut out for themselves if they plan on re-skinning the forum to match. After looking more closely at the home page I can see that it is about half baked. They need to put it back in the oven for a little while longer. image

• Reply 9 of 215
    LOL, they still haven't repaired the damaged smiley system from the last forum upgrade.
  • Reply 10 of 215
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Yes troll hunters.  Here is a comment outside of the topic.  Yet I have to state my thoughts on something we all are effected by here.

I liked the old GUI of Apple Insider.  The old one worked and I was use to it.  Now we have and get to learn a whole new one all over again.

• Reply 11 of 215
    Jesus! What happened to the site? Too much WHITE. And the fonts are less easy on the eyes. Get me the old AI back!
  • Reply 12 of 215

Great new look for AppleInsider. Looks good.

Now you guys need a mobile view for your forums!

• Reply 13 of 215

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikepro View Post

Hmmm... not a fan of the redesign. Too much white negative space, and the font seems harder to read.

/curmudgeon

I think there's too much adspace. Things are blinking and flashing all over the place, and the content is squeezed in the middle. Very distracting, but can be fixed with RSS I guess? Or ghostry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Huh, when did that happen? 

There's not enough contrast, in my opinion. I think I'll have some fun playing with the CSS. UI design's one of my hobbies.

Oh, and about the Huddler thing, I agree that browsers should never be able to supersede OS commands. Like the right-click menu here or those modal popups that prevent tabs from closing, you know? 

I'd love to see screenshots. :)

Edit: I guess there's also no more special attention to breaking or featured stories.

• Reply 14 of 215

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Cool new layout! Too much white though image

OMG... What has happened to AI...

I must admit I really don't like what is happening here.

• Reply 15 of 215

Sorry, I don't like it. There are at least 3 distinctly different looks for the site now. It has quickly become a real train wreck.

It would be better to decide on a unified look, then roll out the whole thing at one time.

• Reply 16 of 215
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    What's powering the front end - magento ? Or, or ...
    Curiously interested. TIA

fwiw - I like it as well. Could alter font in menu bar - comes across as too chunky on idevices. A little hard to read.
    Nice tho' - congrats !
  • Reply 17 of 215
    Please change the website back please. The new website is awful.
  • Reply 18 of 215
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

There is too much white space in the forums:

• Reply 19 of 215

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

Please change the website back please. The new website is awful.

It got bad after the last update, now it is almost unusable.

• Reply 20 of 215

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikepro View Post

/curmudgeon

I LOVE white space, and minimilism in general, it really gives you contrast, and you don't have to search for what to look at, the background slips away and the content pops out. :D