FedEx preparing for 'surge' on anticipated Sept. 21 'iPhone 5' launch date

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
More evidence of a Sept. 21 launch for Apple's next iPhone has come from mail carrier FedEx, which has begun alerting employees about a "surge volume" event beginning that Friday.

FedEx has postponed a corporate class in anticipation of the unnamed event that will occur from Sept. 21 through 24, according to a company memo published on Friday by MacRumors. The company is also said to be limiting employee travel during the four-day span.

Apple typically partners with FedEx for home deliveries of its new product launches. And the date cited by FedEx aligns with previous rumors pointing toward a Sept. 21 launch date after next Wednesday's media event.

Sept. 21 is a Friday, which is the day of the week Apple traditionally uses for product releases. Last year, Apple announced the iPhone on Tuesday, Oct. 4, and the device launched the following week on Friday, Oct. 14.

Following a similar pattern this year, Apple is expected to unveil its next-generation iPhone, referred to unofficially as the "iPhone 5," at its event next Wednesday, Sept. 12, with the product officially launching the following Friday.

Event
Apple's special event invitations sent out this week hint at the iPhone 5. Image via The Loop.

The new iPhone is expected to be the biggest product launch in Apple's history, which would explain why FedEx is adjusting its corporate schedule accordingly. In March, an overwhelming number of preorders for Apple's third-generation iPad led to delayed shipments through both FedEx and UPS.

Apple's "It's Almost Here" media event kicks off next Wednesday at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern from the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, Calif. AppleInsider will have full, live coverage of the presentation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone by now.  I'm picturing a warehouse already filled with thousands of phones just waiting for shipping labels.

• Reply 2 of 13

That's interesting. Because we never hear FedEx preparing for "surges" on Android device launch dates. 

• Reply 3 of 13

Father's Christmas logistics ....

• Reply 4 of 13

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

That's interesting. Because we never hear FedEx preparing for "surges" on Android device launch dates. 

But they ship so MANY!

• Reply 5 of 13
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianld View Post

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone by now.  I'm picturing a warehouse already filled with thousands of phones just waiting for shipping labels.

I remember back when the 3G was being released that Apple was using ocean shipping containers. 188 of them for the first delivery. I believe they have used air freight ever since.

My neighbor works for Fedex and he told me they do keep iPhones and iPads stocked in their warehouses and provide fulfillment services so when you buy online the order is sent directly to Fedex.

• Reply 6 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

That's because the only time Android users "surge" is down to the Welfare Office to collect their checks!

• Reply 7 of 13
    Wow. The forums look different.

I feel a bit discombobulated.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Ok, what is this? How can we post images and the like? What is thisjQuery18107307801065035164_1347047157237?

EDIT . .

Ok, that's better. "Read all Comments" took me back to the standard view.
  • Reply 9 of 13

Samsung ships directly to their partners or through wholesalers since they don't the direct-to-consumer channel. 

• Reply 10 of 13

I saw a Fedex truck filling up with gas.  Clearly this is in preparation for some large shipment soon.

• Reply 11 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But they ship so MANY!

Actually, they do, if you consider 20 million in a little over three months "many."

The difference is most of those sales are through carriers, instead of many direct shipments to the end user like the initial sale of iPhones.

http://www.zdnet.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-sales-hit-20-million-in-100-days-7000003819/

• Reply 12 of 13
    It'll be UPS/TNT here in the UK. They usually do a good job. My last one (iPad 3 was exceptional - Apple say I won't get it on Friday launch date due to back logs but the TNT driver delivered it that late Friday evening anyway.
  • Reply 13 of 13

thata greaaat !!!!

for how much it is available in the market?

http://www.yorkvilleshopping.com/