AppleInsider's New Look (This thread was about the first Huddler redesign)

Comments

• Reply 41 of 215
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jasenj1 wrote: »
    AIEEEE!!!

Comments no longer jumps into the forum?! Bleh!

Click on View All.
  • Reply 42 of 215

After using the site for a bit, I have to agree that having a font with a bit more chunk would be nice. It looks great on my rMBP but the font seems too thin. I actually like the white space but it may appear overbearing due to the thin fonts. Or to some it is just too overbearing period. Everything seems organized and snappy though. The forums where this site gets a lot of use needs some fixing. I'm sick of the one smiley image

• Reply 43 of 215

Quote:

Originally Posted by oseame View Post

I thought AI had been hacked or something. Oh well, I suppose I'll get used to it...

hah same here, I'm sure the IP has been hijacked in the past.

Nice clean new look, think I like it.

• Reply 44 of 215

[deleted by me]

• Reply 45 of 215

Quote:

Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post

True, but it looks better than the Forums

Disagree 100%.  It's so much easier to skim and read the forums, than the new main page texts.

• Reply 46 of 215

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

There is too much white space in the forums:

Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

OH yeah totally. the forums shouls also be center aligned.

Under "Edit Account Details" on your username's page:

Ugh, you're kidding, right?  Is this some new trend, I'm going to have to start going in and setting view preferences on every site I visit?  And why shouldn't the basic default view be the best one, anyway? 

• Reply 47 of 215
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Looks flat and unfinished. I find the ads annoying when trying to read headlines in the front page. The ads are everywhere. Use some light gray to distinguish different parts of the page.

• Reply 48 of 215
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member

loads faster.  good job.

• Reply 49 of 215

The site sucked before, it sucks even more now.

• Reply 50 of 215
    rokkbandit wrote: »
    I created an account just to inform whoever's running this site that I will no longer be visiting it. I'm sick and tired of my favorite websites all over the web (IGN, Gizmodo) and now AppleInsider succumbing to such unbearable design choices. Your old layout was absolutely perfect, with the right mix of content per capita and substance over style. I have zero interest in viewing 24-Point font on an atrocious white background with a cluttered mix of irrelevancy all around it. Blogs should be about the articles and you've ruined everything. Goodbye AppleInsider.

Are you crazy? It's called Good Design, AppleInsider was stuck in the nineties, and if you don't appreciate good design, frankly you shouldn't be on an Apple fan site in the first place.
  • Reply 51 of 215

Woah!

New format...too BUSY!

I did not have an adblock in place and got flashed all

over.  Also, half the paragraphs in the top article are center

justified instead of left

justified.  Overall, I'm finding this harder to

read, and the headlines are getting lost in the

fray.  I don't mind a refresh after

many years, but this...? --Not good.

• Reply 52 of 215
    AI's new design hurts my eyes.
  • Reply 53 of 215

I do not like the new look.  The menu bar and the font choices are just fine, it's the layout that I am not happy with. The new design is just too cluttered. The articles lose there focus due to being smothered in an advertisement sandwich. I can't stand static width designs, they just waste usable space. The new look just seems to crush everything to the center and it is no longer pleasant to the eye. The old layout was much better, albeit a bit dated. I have been a faithful AppleInsider reader for many years. I come here for the articles, but now the actual content seems to have taken a backseat to clutter and Ads. Please rethink the design.

• Reply 54 of 215
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member

Poison my eyes. Thats alot of white. But I love the new look.

• Reply 55 of 215
    I always find it so pathetic when a website just changes without consulting their readers or informing them they are doing so. How about a survey or two to get feedback on a design that they want. And when a design has been made you inform your readers and then explain why you've changed. Simple change management would rectify many issues with reader.

I find this new design to be nicer than the grey previously but extremely cluttered thanks to ads
  • Reply 56 of 215
    The new home page makes me wish there was ad-block for ios; it never used to bother me, however now it's like the entire home AI page is all ads.

I think it sucks.

ps. I'm not against the site paying its bills though some ads; however now when it's almost hard to discern the posted news from the ads; it's to much.
  • Reply 57 of 215

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandomChaos View Post

Old vs New - look at the wasted space on my MacBook, and how many fewer articles I can see. From 11 articles to 3 articles!

I came here to say exactly this.  I'm on a 27" 1920x1200 monitor, and I feel like I'm using a low resolution laptop screen trying to read AppleInsider now.  I've always preferred it to any other sites, but it's nigh unusable with this layout.  I'll have to switch to reading via RSS, which I have avoided because I wanted to help support by viewing the ads.

• Reply 58 of 215

Very inefficient use of space and it squanders my time scrolling. Fail.

Try again or better yet, go back to the old look.

• Reply 59 of 215
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dimmok wrote: »
    Poison my eyes. Thats alot of white. But I love the new look.

I agree. There is a lot of good here but the white is overpowering.
  • Reply 60 of 215

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

Are you crazy? It's called Good Design, AppleInsider was stuck in the nineties, and if you don't appreciate good design, frankly you shouldn't be on an Apple fan site in the first place.

The new design is beautiful.  But it's not very usable.  It looks fantastic, but the articles lose focus and I can only see about 3 articles at a time on a 1920x1200 monitor now.