AppleInsider's New Look (This thread was about the first Huddler redesign)

Comments

• Reply 61 of 215

I don't like it, but that's fine. plenty of other mac sites out there with good layouts.

• Reply 62 of 215
    Sweet, finally Ai has a new comment
    Section for mobiles. Looks great and
    Is so much easier on the iPhone or any
    Mobile I guess.
  • Reply 63 of 215
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Note to AI admins/writers. The next time you make a major overhaul to the site you might want to make an article heading for it with a link to a forum thread so that members use the appropriate thread for talking about the new look, and not posting it randomly in the next tech-based article thread they visit.
  • Reply 64 of 215
    kimk69 wrote: »
    Sweet, finally Ai has a new comment
    Section for mobiles. Looks great and
    Is so much easier on the iPhone or any
    Mobile I guess.
    Damn, I take half of that back.
    I guess it only shows a few of the top posts
    Before having to go to another hard to
    Read page on an iPhone.
    Still pretty cool though.
    It's a lot better actually. Thank u Ai
  • Reply 65 of 215

Don't worry about the forum skinning, I took care of it. It will match the fresh, hip new look of the front page that was beautifully conceived by the team at gesamtbild.

The main topic can go right here,

While the subject can go right here. If the content fills up this area,

it can go below two rows of advertisements. So long as there's still some room, why not remind visitors to

Out-hip your Facebook friends and

Become a fan today!
  • Reply 66 of 215
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

It's terrible and literally bludgeoning people over the head with ten ads on the front page is ridiculous. Use half as many and they will actually get noticed more. People tune overbearing and broad things out much more easily than focused items.

• Reply 67 of 215

Just got back from a meeting and was greeted by the new look. I think it's gorgeous! Streamlined, airy, readable, classy, modern. Nice job.

• Reply 68 of 215

change it back..or make it DARKER...my eyes !!!

• Reply 69 of 215

Way too much advertising. I understand the purpose of ads on a webpage. I even enjoy the ads that AI displays because they're usually stuff I care about—but it feels like fully half of the space I'm looking at is trying to get me to buy something. Not enough emphasis on content. I'd like to be able to read the articles without having my focus so distracted. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad on a smaller monitor, but on a 27", it's overwhelming.

• Reply 70 of 215
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recronin View Post

Don't worry about the forum skinning, I took care of it. It will match the fresh, hip new look of the front page that was beautifully conceived by the team at gesamtbild.

Out-hip your Facebook friends and

Become a fan today!

Makes you wonder who Quiller Media is. Is Jeffrey Valvano our new owner?

• Reply 71 of 215

i loved the old site. it was very easy to read and navigate.

the new one looks bad to me. its way too narrow and has too much stuff on each side.

i get a headache looking at it. which means i probably won't be reading it much more.

• Reply 72 of 215

I was shocked when I saw AIs new layout and identity.

- much longer load times, all pages significantly larger

- less information on the overview/article pages

- no support for Apple Safari Reader functionality

and the question is: WHY! This site is about content, not about fancy-looking HTML-5 gibberish. Any good reason why to optimize away efficiency?

I've been a daily reader for years; this is a lot less joyful now, I'll think it over or check out what other sites have similar information, but more simplistic layout and design.

Florian.

• Reply 73 of 215

Yikes.

The new site design is embarrassingly bad. The little sliding slide show is especially terrible.

The old design wasn’t going to win any beauty contests, but it wasn’t offensive.

It’s 2012, most people have displays wider than 800 pixels, it might be smart to look into a responsive design.

• Reply 74 of 215
    OT, but... How did AI manage to make the website so much worse? Thank god for Adblock, but it is a shame that the site is so bad.
  • Reply 75 of 215
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

MAKE THE HEADLINES SMALLER!

Modernized layout sorely overdue but OVERSIZED headlines gauche eyesore designed to exploit readers to sell more ad space. 

• Reply 76 of 215
    I tend to agree. Too much white spaces with left column seems a bit empty. Made worse especially by the rolling news headline at the top which aligned with that said left column (graphics for reviews, hot topic and social buttons).
    Side note, site was designed in Germany?
  • Reply 77 of 215

I loved the old layout, and feel so calmed here in the soothingly grey forums after experiencing the glare of the main news pages.  Please reconsider / revise.  Too many ads, or so it seems.  What I do like are the links to associated stories on same topic.  Harder to read!  Who ever told you a lot of white space was a good thing.  It is not. 

• Reply 78 of 215

everything is cool just make it a little bit less White ...

It is a very high contrast !!

A little more grey will be good for eyes :)

• Reply 79 of 215

+1 for the older was a bit better in terms of Colors :)

and i am unaware why my right click gives me a paste option in this editor  xD

• Reply 80 of 215

Well, that was a bit of a shock. I like it though. I know I'm going against the tide here but I do like the new look. I find it clean and modern. As for too much white space, I attribute that to very effective ad blocking in my browser. Am I correct in saying there is no Java or Flash? I hope so. Make note of the criticisms and suggestions but don't make any quick changes yet. Give folks a chance to get acclimated to the new look.