Launch of Apple's new iMac lineup is 'imminent' - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    Not much more though (see my previous post) unless you sit close enough to get nose prints on the screen. I find watching HD on my 27" quite satisfying (true HD not YouTube crap).

Careful with that 'true hd' comment. Many folks will tell you if its not 1080p at BluRay bit rate and at least 5.1 audio then it's not HD. And you can only get that on a BluRay which don't play on Macs blah blah
  • Reply 62 of 90
    tasiv wrote: »
    I agree with the comments on no optical drive. Not only are certain things only available on DVD (e.g., instructional videos), but how would one burn their CDs to iTunes? Maybe I'm missing something. Also not sure what the advantage is to a USB boot.

The amount of stuff that is DVD only is slim compared to the whole and so is the audience for much of it.

The audience for a 27 inch slim line, SSD only, retina display iMac a kin to the retina MBP is mainly pros and they will have no issue buying a atandalone drive as its all write offs anyway.
  • Reply 63 of 90
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    boredumb wrote: »
    I have friends (not "insider" types, but original Apple users) who feel we'll see signs within the next 12-18 months that Apple will eventually (foreseeable future, not 2042AD) stop making desktop machines entirely.

Do they also think Apple will stop making Macs, too? I don't see it. There are plenty of reasons for people to have traditional "PCs". On top of that, the reason I'm buying a desktop for the first time in 15 years is because the iPad and iPhone make it possible for me to travel without requiring a portable Mac. Another reason is because of wanting additional screen real estate for Xcode but if that was the sole reason it would be much cheaper to just buy an external display for my MBP.
  • Reply 64 of 90
    Is the iMac an awesome machine?

Is it a good buy for, let's say, college? i would love one, but i just cannot afford them. However that screen is so beautiful already. Avengers would look great on that, especially Scarlet and her leather suit...
    My now apartment mate went back to dorm living during grad school he was an art history major who needed to replace a crazy old laptop anyway. He's not a huge gamer but what he plays is all in Steam and such and he wanted a bigger screen anyway. He had to have an iPad cause some of his classes demanded it and getting that, a laptop and a 27 inch scene seemed stupid so he just got the iMac. His tv was crap so he just used the computer for his DVDs as well. He said it was an okay arrangement

His advice is that it depends on your major etc
  • Reply 65 of 90
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I have a 2011 iMac so no upgrade for me this year or next.

It's my very first iMac after years of looking down at all-in-ones as underpowered and unreliable. I'd been a pure desktop/tower guy since the early 1990s. I've never owned a Mac that didn't have at least one component upgraded from stock. These days upgrades are limited to just RAM and external HDs, but in the early days I went so far as soldering a faster clock chip on the logic board. I also built an entire Mac clone from parts I got from dumpsters, ebay and the left over parts from upgrading my other Macs.

I wish I had a 27" iMac on my desk at work too, but I sometimes work from home and it's easier to have a MacBook Pro so I can essentially take the office with me. I don't believe in having work email, files, apps or passwords on my home computer. The only personal files on the MBP are some favourite photos that I use for desktop pictures. Work is work, home is home and never the two shall mix.

All my files are stored in the cloud, and personal photographs are stored on an external NAS server, simply because I don't want any of that stuff residing on any machine.

My iMac or MBA can blow up and I wouldn't lose a thing.  Makes it really easy too to do clean installs of OSX when there is no data on it. :)

• Reply 66 of 90
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I hope you're right.  I have the first generation Mini Server with the Core2 Duo and would like to add another cheap client for the home office.  While an iMac is awesome, I think from now own I'm going to go the Mini route.  Apple seems to be in this mode of machines only lasting two years before they are no longer able to take full advantage of the next OS update.  I can justify/afford ~$700 every two years or so, a $1,700 iMac makes that a little harder to swallow.

I think "they" forgot to mention they dropped it down a flight of steps just before that all happened...  ;-)

I'm considering buying a Mini for the office so I don't have to carry my MBA back and forth.  And as far as machines only lasting two years for OS updates, my 2009 i7 iMac proves contrary to what you said.

• Reply 67 of 90
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

A proper redesign might actually get me to change my mind on the iMac.    Retina in an iMac will be interesting, I think it would be a well worthwhile update but i'm not sure the technology is there yet.   However affordable screens can't be far away as the talk of 4K TV has exploded lately.   I see retina as a 50/50 possibility right now.

Apple has lost of option when it comes to improving the iMac screens even without going to a very high density display.   Better LCD technologies allow for improved image quality at lower power levels for one.   So retina or not I'm expecting a better screen.

I think you are wrong about a new design not going far.   I see just the opposite a new design could make the iMac a hell of a lot more appealing to a wider audience than the current one.   If they stress nothing more than service ability they will have accomplished much.   As far as i"m concerned the difficulty in access the power supply and the HD are significant shortcomings with respect to the iMac that make it a difficult purchase.    Beyond that there are a number of things wrong with the design.   iMac is a prime example of form winning over function.   I'd much rather see a fatter iMac that at least runs at a reasonable temperature than to see the current design continue.   One that does so while being easy to maintain.   

IMac is far from perfect.    I'm not sure where this nonsense comes from.   As to a matte version you just said the machine was almost perfect yet you are not happy with it.   So which is it.   I can tell you straight out it is far from perfect and frankly has been ignored for years in favor of design excellence in the laptop line.

Quote:o

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Maybe we'll be surprised and in fact see Retina display iMacs...and for not much more money. 

I'm sure Apple has secured a lot of display panels to keep costs down. And while profit margin is important, this key product differentiation will sell that many more iMacs during the holiday season.

A new design can only go so far. Especially when many don't see any thing wrong with the current one.

A new form factor also needs a hook. And that would be the screen resolution. 

I mean what else can you do with a minimalist design that is almost perfect already.

And oh, I'd love to see a matte version offered. But I'm not holding my breath on that one.

• Reply 68 of 90
    Here is to hoping for better thermal management without a DVD drive. Love the low noise, but I keep worrying that mine is going to have life-cycle heat related problems.
  • Reply 69 of 90
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

I have friends (not "insider" types, but original Apple users) who feel we'll see signs within the next 12-18 months that Apple will eventually (foreseeable future, not 2042AD) stop making desktop machines entirely.

Do they also think Apple will stop making Macs, too? I don't see it. There are plenty of reasons for people to have traditional "PCs". On top of that, the reason I'm buying a desktop for the first time in 15 years is because the iPad and iPhone make it possible for me to travel without requiring a portable Mac. Another reason is because of wanting additional screen real estate for Xcode but if that was the sole reason it would be much cheaper to just buy an external display for my MBP.

Preachin' to the choir, but, yes, it was Mac's of all non-portable types that they were positing.

And, you know, that 2042AD date may look good for it, but, like you, not ready to give up the desktop one just yet,

although for "portable" I go Air, just because I prefer the OS.

Wife loves her iPad, but I just haven't heard the song of that siren yet

(the wife's, yes...the iPad's, not so much).

• Reply 70 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Here is to hoping for better thermal management without a DVD drive. Love the low noise, but I keep worrying that mine is going to have life-cycle heat related problems.

The new Ivy Bridge chipsets have all sorts of thermal management goodness built in, which should help with any heat issues.  The new processors are substantially more efficient as well.  Yanking the DVD should also make it easier to provide the internals with cooling, even if the case gets thinner.  Newer monitors tend to run cooler as well, as do newer hard drives (especially if they go with SSDs as standard equipment for the boot drive, which Apple just might).

• Reply 71 of 90
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

I can't wait! It'll be my first direct desktop purchase since I started using notebooks way back in the late 90's.

What makes you want this one? 2011 was the first year any of the notebooks felt fast enough to me to do any real (obviously from my perspective) work on a notebook form factor. I had a G4 powerbook for a little while around 2002-2004 before I returned to a desktop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

one big disappointment I have with the retina MBP is that they didn't leave room for a magnetic disk to supplement the SSD. It is a serious shortcoming in my mind.

This kind of goes along with what I always say. They're designed as very mass market devices. Apple wanted them to be thin and light, so they're pretty much packed. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

On an earlier thread @Wizard69 postulated that Apple would release an updated 27" display with retina before an iMac 27" with retina...

This makes sense to me as it could address the "pro" needs while accommodating cost and yield issues.

I've been waiting for an iMac upgrade, and will replace my old Cinema Display too -- if the 27" display gets retina.

I don't think the "pro needs" are really their focus, and the current thunderbolt display design is heavily weighted toward those who use it with their notebooks. What is interesting is that such pro needs are sometimes leveraged by incidental improvements. Even though Apple uses different backlighting, they made a true D65 sRGB display for the rMBP. The thunderbolt display is much closer, but I wonder if they'll go that route again as the current TB display is a bit colder. Apple has certain design priorities, and they've been able to use somewhat incidental improvements to further appeal to such markets without actively catering to them. There are displays with internal LUT systems to help stabilize their profiles over time. They're arguably a better match,, but the next generation of Apple displays may leverage a lot of their more cost conscious customers.

• Reply 72 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But does anyone else think that people might hold off on it because it won't be getting a retina display?

I won't wait for a retina iMac. I've been waiting over a year already to replace my 8,1 iMac.

• Reply 73 of 90
    This design revamp...is mere preview of the heavenly retina to come. It won't be a bad machine. And those who can't wait will have a decent machine.

Ivy Bridge? Be good if you're on a Core Duo machine like me.

GPu. Same. Faster than my 8800GS.

Expect 8 gigs of ram...of course. And options for 2 gigs of Vram...and a 7970m(?) GPU?

But if Mabooks are getting retina. imacs are a matter of time.

Haswell. ...retina. The gpus that are available next year? Maybe wait until next April-ish...

Surely 2013 is the one to get? For me...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 74 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winter View Post

It is a great computer though you can't take it from class to class. If you have your own private dorm, I'd go for it.

Well duh it's not called a desktop computer because it's actually a laptop. You're comparing apples to oranges.

• Reply 75 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Maybe we'll be surprised and in fact see Retina display iMacs...and for not much more money. 

I'm sure Apple has secured a lot of display panels to keep costs down. And while profit margin is important, this key product differentiation will sell that many more iMacs during the holiday season.

A new design can only go so far. Especially when many don't see any thing wrong with the current one.

A new form factor also needs a hook. And that would be the screen resolution. 

I mean what else can you do with a minimalist design that is almost perfect already.

And oh, I'd love to see a matte version offered. But I'm not holding my breath on that one.

I think folks will be very surprised to see it and see the price. 

Why? Because they are falsely defining Retina as 'double the highest current resolution'. which is not true based on Apple's own published math. The amount they have to go up is less than 25%. Which might be very doable, especially on a fully tricked out for the high end user machine like the MBP version. 

And because the advance on the screen isn't that much the price of the display might not be that much higher. If they go all the way and add the SSDs etc THAT is what will raise the price. 

• Reply 76 of 90
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    I just hope they do not remove the DVD drive, I know it not really need these days, but that is feature which I still use and have lots of CD and DVD with programs and such on and I am not going to put all that information in the cloud that is for sure.

External drive, problem solved. DVD rental places still exist? I still sometimes buy DVD's in discount bins, but I haven't really cared too much building a collection since blueray came out, and Apple has never sold a blueray drive either.
    I think the EFI Might have been a power surge of some description. The iMac was on the same circuit as all my music production gear and synthesizers aren't exactly surge friendly.

Summersault off of a shitty desk. The desk had bowed and the stand on the iMac was slightly wonky. So it fell forward face first onto the desk, but it had enough weight and momentum to then slide off the desk and onto a laminate wood floor.

See this is one of the areas that makes me think that there is a "too thin" point for desktops. The larger and lighter the screen, the more ease it has of falling face-forward, or backwards from things like your kids or pets running into the desk, or simply being spooked by something, or even earthquakes.

I believe that we probably won't see the iMac get any thinner short of switching back to all laptop parts, or iPad type parts. The Macbook Air, closed, is about as thin as you could make an iMac using just laptop parts. Desktop class CPU and GPU's still require a lot more thermal heat dissipation, that if they make it too thin, a hot-spot under the LCD glass will cause it to crack.
  • Reply 77 of 90
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

This design revamp...is mere preview of the heavenly retina to come. It won't be a bad machine. And those who can't wait will have a decent machine.

Ivy Bridge? Be good if you're on a Core Duo machine like me.

GPu. Same. Faster than my 8800GS.

Expect 8 gigs of ram...of course. And options for 2 gigs of Vram...and a 7970m(?) GPU?

But if Mabooks are getting retina. imacs are a matter of time.

Haswell. ...retina. The gpus that are available next year? Maybe wait until next April-ish...

Surely 2013 is the one to get? For me...

Lemon Bon Bon.

The current iMacs are already virtually "retina".  Doubling the pixel count would not only bloat the price to ridiculous levels, but would also place an impossible burden on the GPU. 

• Reply 78 of 90
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hmm wrote: »
    What makes you want this one? 2011 was the first year any of the notebooks felt fast enough to me to do any real (obviously from my perspective) work on a notebook form factor. I had a G4 powerbook for a little while around 2002-2004 before I returned to a desktop.

It's just a trend that started in 2007 with the iPhone and finally reached maturity with the iPad in 2010. Between the two I simply no longer need a notebook to cart around, whic finally allows me to use a desktop as my "truck".

I've never had a problem with performance on my notebooks. My tasks have never been processor extensive. The real issue has been with storage capacity but even that fell away years ago. Even now I have an 80GB SSD as my boot/app drive and a 1TB HDD as my Home/Data drive in my 13" MBP. Love it! I hope Apple continues that option in the next iMac, or something equivalent.

To reiterate, it's the iDevices that are allowing me to no longer need a portable "PC", for a lack of a better term.
  • Reply 79 of 90
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member

Quote:

It's just a trend that started in 2007 with the iPhone and finally reached maturity with the iPad in 2010. Between the two I simply no longer need a notebook to cart around, whic finally allows me to use a desktop as my "truck".

I've never had a problem with performance on my notebooks. My tasks have never been processor extensive. The real issue has been with storage capacity but even that fell away years ago. Even now I have an 80GB SSD as my boot/app drive and a 1TB HDD as my Home/Data drive in my 13" MBP. Love it! I hope Apple continues that option in the next iMac, or something equivalent.

To reiterate, it's the iDevices that are allowing me to no longer need a portable "PC", for a lack of a better term.

I'm planning on getting the updated iMac for the same reasons.  Really looking forward to it too!  I'm not concerned about a retina display.  I'm planning on getting the high end 21.5 inch.  I hope this new generation gives us no optical drive and an affordable HD plus SSD option.

• Reply 80 of 90

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

The current iMacs are already virtually "retina".  Doubling the pixel count would not only bloat the price to ridiculous levels, but would also place an impossible burden on the GPU. 

Nope. Try again.