Samsung reportedly dropped as memory supplier for first batch of next-gen iPhones

Comments

• Reply 101 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I offend people by making fun of Samsung? Not sure this's the site for them, then.

Your statement I believe is part of "Argumentum ad Ignorantiam". I would explain it to you why but I prefer saying "No Comment"

• Reply 102 of 137
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Get lost with your pouting. Au revoir.

Ad buyers come and go. For every little 'media buyer' like you that AI loses, I'll bet they make up with others. The total volume of ads here is higher than a couple of years ago.

Including Samsung, which is kind of ironic, poetic and fair.

You wouldn't want them pulling ads for dissenting views.

• Reply 103 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

WOW! Who pissed on your Cheerios this morning?

• Reply 104 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Not sure about that. The features that Apple sued Samsung about would not be those revealed to suppliers of processors, DRAM or touchscreens.

If you'd followed the court case that Samsung lost in California recently, you'd know that documents were released, purportedly from Samsung's components arm, relating specifically to Apple's designs and which Samsung's designer's denied ever seeing, even though they came up with designs that were eerily familiar.

Strange that.

• Reply 105 of 137
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I think even most Apple fanatics would find that funny. . .
    :lol:

To an extent. After 30 seconds I was saying I've said most of those things in one way or another but after a minute through they started getting absurd and by the end it was no longer truthful or relatable enough to be funny.
  • Reply 106 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

I was merely responding to hill60's ridiculous comment that if you remove Apple and Samsung from the market, the rest is merely "crumbs"....

How much of the world's handset profits do Apple and Samsung share between themselves?

How then would you describe the 10% or so left over, that is shared between all the other handset OEM's?

• Reply 107 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The idea and statement that moderators shouldn't post is a laughable. Can you name a forum that doesn't allow moderators to post?

Please....most forums have moderators who are not actively engaged in the conversations. Isn't the question at hand why he can't be added to our ignore list anyways?

Racist comments might get people randomly banned.

How would banning someone for a racist comment be "random"? Are you suggesting that AI's enforcement of policy is arbitrary by the moderators?

Also, I don't recall seeing TS banned for his racist/xenophobic comments about Judge Koh a while back....just a lot of edited posts.

• Reply 108 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

How much of the world's handset profits do Apple and Samsung share between themselves?

How then would you describe the 10% or so left over, that is shared between all the other handset OEM's?

Yes, if smartphone handsets were the ONLY device to use memory, than this would be accurate reasoning. However, smartphone handsets only account for 16% of NAND flash memory consumption and even less for DRAM, therefore, the logic of equating handset market share with memory market share is non-sequitur.

• Reply 109 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

Yes, if smartphone handsets were the ONLY device to use memory, than this would be accurate reasoning. However, smartphone handsets only account for 16% of NAND flash memory consumption and even less for DRAM, therefore, the logic of equating handset market share with memory market share is non-sequitur.

So where will Samsung find buyers willing to pay cash up front, as Apple does, when most handset makers are barely eking out an existence on the 10% of total handset revenue they share between themselves?

PC makers are in the same boat, barely breaking even.

Most of them are slowly spiralling down into losses, when will they start reneging on contracts?

• Reply 110 of 137
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Quiet, towel head.

Racist comments might get people randomly banned.

If that comment didn't warrant being banned, what would?

• Reply 111 of 137
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    quinney wrote: »
    If that comment didn't warrant being banned, what would?

I don't get why that poster was not only allowed to stay on and his comment not removed, but a mod quoted his racist comment. There should be consideration for the word(s) used but the meaning applied to them. He called another board member a racist slur and nothing. What could have jragosta could have done to get himself banned if racist comments won't?

I'm starting to get this feeling that AI supports racism so long as it's not against caucasian Americans which makes me wonder if I should continue posting here. Mods, if that hits too close to home then please ban me and I'll know not to come back.
  • Reply 112 of 137
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    e_veritas wrote: »
    Please....most forums have moderators who are not actively engaged in the conversations.

I've never seen such a thing. Some mods might not be active, but I've not seen a forum where mods were discouraged from the discussions. Most often, mods are invited from a pool of members. Why would a member voluntarily quit posting or change posting style to do moderating?

Isn't the question at hand why he can't be added to our ignore list anyways?

Not exclusively. I wasn't aware, or maybe forgot that happens.

How would banning someone for a racist comment be "random"? Are you suggesting that AI's enforcement of policy is arbitrary by the moderators?

I was being cheeky. I banned his ass right then and there. You didn't notice the banned mark beneath his name on his posts? I ban posters for racist comments on occasion, pretty much every time i notice it, maybe it needs to be a public spectacle so someone notices.

Also, I don't recall seeing TS banned for his racist/xenophobic comments about Judge Koh a while back....just a lot of edited posts.

He contends it wasn't what he intended. Also, it wasn't against another forum member. A couple levels of distinctions in my opinion.

solipsismx wrote: »
    I don't get why that poster was not only allowed to stay on and his comment not removed, but a mod quoted his racist comment. There should be consideration for the word(s) used but the meaning applied to them. He called another board member a racist slur and nothing. What could have jragosta could have done to get himself banned if racist comments won't?
    I'm starting to get this feeling that AI supports racism so long as it's not against caucasian Americans which makes me wonder if I should continue posting here. Mods, if that hits too close to home then please ban me and I'll know not to come back.

I'm surprised you think we might support racism. Please give me a link to this jragosta comment privately. I never saw them or the reports. I don't read all reports for that matter, I just hope that someone else can check up on them when I can't. There's enough threads, enough reports that I'm sure there is a fair amount that just fall through the cracks. That's what I was alluding to in random, theres always that chance that it doesn't get spotted and a report doesn't get read.
  • Reply 113 of 137
    xrcxxrcx Posts: 117member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I offend people by making fun of Samsung? Not sure this's the site for them, then.

Keep posting and doing what you are doing, this is an Apple fansite, if they do not want to hear what apple fans have to say then they don't belong here, regardless of you being a moderator or not. My only critisism of the mods here is that they can't actively ban the fandroid trolls who come here just to stir up problems.

• Reply 114 of 137

Deleted.
  • Reply 115 of 137

Deleted.
  • Reply 116 of 137
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Quote:

I'm surprised you think we might support racism. 

Oh c'mon. Nobody 'supports' racism. Or, even if they did, no one would expect them to say they did. So that's an absurd statement you're making there.

I specifically flagged for you moderators -- I assume that someone must have seen it, unless it's a stupid feelgood button -- a comment that fairthrope made that is explicitly a racist slur against Arabs and Sikhs (neither of which, for the record, I am; but not that it should matter). AFAIK, that post is still there, the poster is still there, and you guys could give a shit about allowing lowlifes like that to continue to post.

It's becoming a joke.

I dare you to allow a post or a poster to stand that uses, say, the 'N' word, or makes an anti-Jewish slur on these forums.

But he banned that poster, and stated as much. Did you not see that?

• Reply 117 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I did not. It's tough to navigate the site with an iPad.

I do see that now, and have deleted my posts -- although, my inability to see it (and see it referred to JeffDM's post) stands fully and justly in evidence of my sloppiness, as quoted in your reply! :-)

• Reply 118 of 137
    xrcx wrote: »
    Keep posting and doing what you are doing, this is an Apple fansite, if they do not want to hear what apple fans have to say then they don't belong here, regardless of you being a moderator or not. My only critisism of the mods here is that they can't actively ban the fandroid trolls who come here just to stir up problems.

TO: TS, JeffDM, hill60 and xRCx, and other Apple Fanboys

It became clear to me that you guys are extreamly serious Apple Fanboys who worship Apple God mindlessly, and you want to keep AI to be your exclusive domain.

I propose that you post a greeting message on AI's Home Page with large fonts in bold to warn that "AI is exclusive domain of Apple Fanboys and others are not welcome unless they also praise Apple God, with no exceptions"

This way we who are not Apple Fanboys do not enter AI and post comments that you don't want to know or hear.

Do we have a deal?
  • Reply 119 of 137
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I did not. It's tough to navigate the site with an iPad.

I do see that now, and have deleted my posts -- although, my inability to see it (and see it referred to JeffDM's post) stands fully and justly in evidence of my sloppiness, as quoted in your reply! :-)

You had every right to be offended.

• Reply 120 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardkim View Post

TO: TS, JeffDM, hill60 and xRCx, and other Apple Fanboys

It became clear to me that you guys are extreamly serious Apple Fanboys who worship Apple God mindlessly, and you want to keep AI to be your exclusive domain.

I propose that you post a greeting message on AI's Home Page with large fonts in bold to warn that "AI is exclusive domain of Apple Fanboys and others are not welcome unless they also praise Apple God, with no exceptions"

This way we who are not Apple Fanboys do not enter AI and post comments that you don't want to know or hear.

Do we have a deal?

No, we don't. 

If you have something intelligent to post -- especially if it's anti-Apple -- people listen. Most of the folks that get called out do so for the simple reason that it's knee-jerk nonsense that they dwell on.

Just so you know, I am replying as a 'Fanboy' (the usage of which is abundant evidence regarding the level of discourse you're capable of, but let's leave that aside).