Colorful banners for Sep 12 Phone 5 Apple Event now going up

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    I hope colored skins aren't the marquee feature this year.

Perhaps iPhone Bluetooth integration with the iPod nano to allow users to manage their iPhone from their iPod nano.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    Can't wait for Wednesday, hoping for a curve ball!

Digging the new look AI!
  • Reply 23 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You know a company has an amazing mindshare when banner going up for a convention being held 5 days from now are news across the internet.

This is what some people will never get.

• Reply 24 of 62
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Plug? Easy. I have Bluetooth headphones.
    But I doubt Apple would drop analog jack, it's too soon.

It's great to support BT headphones. It's great that we have newer BT protocols that can support higher bandwidth while using less power, but even after we see wireless headphones become something that is commonplace should we expect to see the headphone jack disappear from out devices. That day has't yet come nor do I expect it for some time.

BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) seems like a great fit but it only has a theoretical max of 200kbps which is well below what you'd need for iTS audio. I would expect that once the BLE protocol (maybe 5.0?) can do at least 500kbps as a theoretical max it might getting to a point that wireless headphones could start to become commonplace.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    Usually I'm excited about the event but not this time. For me the magic is missing and I'm trying to figure out why.
  • Reply 26 of 62

Originally Posted by Jimbo1234 View Post

For me the magic is missing and I'm trying to figure out why.

Maybe because you think you know already know "everything" about the phone? I've heard that a lot. And yet no one can tell me the specs, what hardware-specific features it will have in iOS 6, nor even anything about Dock Connector 2 at all. Funny, that.

Genuine question; I don't know why the magic would be post for you. Maybe you need to buy a Magic Trackpad in preparation.

• Reply 27 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Maybe because you think you know already know "everything" about the phone? I've heard that a lot. And yet no one can tell me the specs, what hardware-specific features it will have in iOS 6, nor even anything about Dock Connector 2 at all. Funny, that.

Genuine question; I don't know why the magic would be post for you. Maybe you need to buy a Magic Trackpad in preparation.

Does it have an A6 (first year in many we haven't seen the ASIC printings)? Is it 32nm? Is it Cortex A15 (No!)? Is it dual or quad-core? What about the GPU? What about the speed? What other changes to the ASIC are there?

Will the new dock connector support the audio and video out like the current one? How will happen (i.e.: more elaborate cable HW or chip in the device that will intelligently switch the signal to support legacy devices)? Will micro-USB male plugs be able to also use Apple's new connecter for charging the device?

Is noise cancelation improved? Is Siri going to get an upgrade bump? Will it come off beta? Will the battery last longer? If so, by how much? Will there be colors for the iPhone?
  • Reply 28 of 62
    chadmatic wrote: »
    Can't wait for Wednesday, hoping for a curve ball!

Colored streaks, curtains ?
    Perhaps they are colored CARDS !

Tim Cook will introduce Scott Forstall to talk about Cards - AGAIN !
  • Reply 29 of 62
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Will there be colors for the iPhone?

Green! I'll take a green one!

Stainless is hard to add color to cost effectively.

If they moved the case to aluminum then the only thing stopping them from making different colors would be if they decide they don't want to manage that many item SKU's. However they do it with the iPods, so I would think they have plenty of experience on how to handle it efficiently.

If those are glass bands on the top and bottom of the back they should be able to use the same coloring process as the white ones right? If they worked out the problem with white then perhaps it works for other colors. Every other color would be 'darker' so to speak anyway...
  • Reply 30 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Either a complete dodge or I'm sort of partial to the "five products" route. Even if it IS the iPhone event! 

iPhone, iPod touch, iPod nano, iPod shuffle (all four that 9to5 believes will be updated), and then iTunes as the fifth (remember those "completely redesigned" rumors?). iTunes is a product to Apple. 

So the 6th iPhone, 5th iPod touch (larger screen), new iPod nano (new colors, maybe Wi-Fi, maybe "bigger" like some think), and then the iPod shuffle (supposedly 8 colors now).

And then a new iTunes. I'd love a full UI overhaul there. Something better than we have now, and hopefully the iTunes Store gets some sort of equally good (not different, good) revamp. Subcategories of subcategories of subcategories. Even for movies and music and shows. 

That's a good point about iTunes, I didn't really think of software in my product list.

Maybe the colours mean iTunes will come with skins, like WinAmp back in the day! That'd be awesome, right... right...?

• Reply 31 of 62
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    Yay looks like iPod nano socks :p
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Is the new iPhone5 copying Nokia Lumia colours?
  • Reply 33 of 62

There have been 4 main generations of iMac so far.

• Reply 34 of 62
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I have to laugh at anyone who thinks the iPhone will come in any color other than black or white. Not going to happen. Colored bumpers or cases, sure but the device itself? No way.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    You know what all those colors mean... iPod time!
    I'd love to see a new Classic, but I'm not holding my breath.

It's about time the Classic was dropped. With cloud streaming/syncing and the possibility of a 128GB Touch, the old model's ability to store more songs isn't that compelling.

I think it's time to drop the Shuffle too and get the price of the Nano to $99. I reckon the majority of Shuffle buyers would simply move to Nanos. I would like to see the Nano go back to the large screen. It does mean no watch mods but it could perhaps have a nano sim for texting and VOIP. Maps while out running.

New iPhone specs: hopefully widescreen, underclocked A5X so amazingly fast graphics when you see how it handles the iPad 3 resolution, 512MB-1GB RAM, iOS 6 of course, metal back. USB 3 sync cable but transfer speeds will still be limited by the Flash storage so mainly future-proofing. Possibly fingerprint security. I don't think we'll see anything that hasn't already been discussed.

If an iPad Mini exists, I don't see it launching until the next iPad arrives. Trying to ship millions of iPhones in a short period takes enough resources and it's not as if they are struggling to sell 10" iPads.

I reckon the new iMac will come with laminated panels and the expected Ivy Bridge upgrades and the Mini will tag along at the back. I think this will be a 'one more thing' because there's no point in having an event just for the iMac redesign. Everyone will be watching the event for the iPhone so it's a good idea to push the Macs alongside.

13" Retina MBP too. They could have two events - iMac, MBP, Mini and iPad Mini in October but I don't expect an iPad Mini and I don't think they should waste more time getting the Macs out.

I'd say the iPhone will be up for pre-order and everything else shipping the same day. I would like to see them ship the iPhone 5 on October 5th as a symbol. Last year's pre-order was from 4th to the 14th so while it could be 12th to 22nd, an extra 13 days wouldn't do any harm.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    ojala wrote: »
    Is the new iPhone5 copying Nokia Lumia colours?

I doubt it. The Lumia needs sunglasses to view.
  • Reply 37 of 62

Your probably right ,with the leaks that seem to come out which by in large prove to be accurate. Plus I'm not in the market for new phone until next year.

When I use the term magic I use it in the context of anticipation.

Don't get me wrong I love and believe in the Apple eco system ,just feel sometimes they could push the envelope further.

For me I would like Apple to concentrate more on the Mac side of things especially the software. Windows 8 will be a genuine competitor.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    jimbo1234 wrote: »
    For me I would like Apple to concentrate more on the Mac side of things especially the software. Windows 8 will be a genuine competitor.

I'd like to see Mac OS to progress more quickly, but I don't think Windows 8 will be a competitive driver. The only people that seem to like W8 are die hard Windows fans. Those that use it because it's the easiest to get might not like it.

The Windows 8 UI is based on a UI that couldn't save the Zune HD. W8 is also designed as a touch screen OS first, desktop operation behaves like an afterthought. Desktop / Laptops with touch screens have not made a notable dent in the market to justify the UI choices on the desktop edition. MS needed a rethink, but making the UI the same for all classes and sizes of electronic devices isn't a rethink, that's more of the same. Basically, the UI is designed for 10" touch tablets, but it really wastes space on a 20"+ screen and doesn't control as intuitively as it should with a mouse.
  • Reply 39 of 62

Originally Posted by tonyweston View Post

There have been 4 main generations of iMac so far.

… Wishful thinking. Don't get my hopes for a full redesign up like that.

Originally Posted by Jimbo1234 View Post

Don't get me wrong I love and believe in the Apple eco system ,just feel sometimes they could push the envelope further.

You know absolutely nothing about the device. You have no clue how much they have pushed the envelope.

• Reply 40 of 62
    … Wishful thinking. Don't get my hopes for a full redesign up like that.

You know absolutely nothing about the device. You have no clue how much they have pushed the envelope.

I mean software wise. I fully appreciate the hardware.