Launch of Apple's new iMac lineup is 'imminent' - report

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 90
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    flounder wrote: »
    I'm planning on getting the updated iMac for the same reasons.  Really looking forward to it too!  I'm not concerned about a retina display.  I'm planning on getting the high end 21.5 inch.  I hope this new generation gives us no optical drive and an affordable HD plus SSD option.

I'd like Retina on the iMac but I doubt it's feasible at this point and want/need the larger display more than I want the higher PPI of the RMBP.
  • Reply 82 of 90
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I'm considering buying a Mini for the office so I don't have to carry my MBA back and forth.  And as far as machines only lasting two years for OS updates, my 2009 i7 iMac proves contrary to what you said.

Your iMac is okay, '09 Xserves, '09 MacBooks and Mac Mini's just barely made the cut.  I wasn't exactly clear, but this is what I'm talking about.

Want the Power Nap feature?  Hope you have a 1-year old Mac

Want AirPlay?  Hope you have a 1-year old Mac

Want AirDrop?  Hope you have a 2010 or later MacBook Air or Mini

http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/

Sure you can update machines and get MOST of the supported features, however there are some selective omissions on Apple's part, especially when you consider there are some aftermarket solutions that seem to be able to mimic most of these features.  And since Apple doesn't really promote these solutions their solution is for you to upgrade your hardware.

Am I being picky?  I would say a yes to a certain point, but at the same time, I'm not wrong either...  ;-)

• Reply 83 of 90
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd like Retina on the iMac but I doubt it's feasible at this point and want/need the larger display more than I want the higher PPI of the RMBP.

This is quite typical. I realize people on these boards are somewhat mesmerized by the resolution, but it doesn't totally make up for real estate. I'm in the habit of minimizing ui elements in favor of hotkeys whenever possible regardless of software.

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's just a trend that started in 2007 with the iPhone and finally reached maturity with the iPad in 2010. Between the two I simply no longer need a notebook to cart around, whic finally allows me to use a desktop as my "truck".

I've never had a problem with performance on my notebooks. My tasks have never been processor extensive. The real issue has been with storage capacity but even that fell away years ago. Even now I have an 80GB SSD as my boot/app drive and a 1TB HDD as my Home/Data drive in my 13" MBP. Love it! I hope Apple continues that option in the next iMac, or something equivalent.

To reiterate, it's the iDevices that are allowing me to no longer need a portable "PC", for a lack of a better term.

Oh nice. I may get an ipad for doodling at some point. While I'm not an imac fan, I hate the ergonomics of notebooks. In that regard it's a very nice alternative. The rMBP saw some interesting improvements. I'm wondering if any of them will make their way into the next imac.

• Reply 84 of 90
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    hmm wrote: »
    This is quite typical. I realize people on these boards are somewhat mesmerized by the resolution, but it doesn't totally make up for real estate. I'm in the habit of minimizing ui elements in favor of hotkeys whenever possible regardless of software.
    The intention of retina isn't to give you more real estate though in some cases it does accomplishe that. Rather the ideas to dramatically improve the quality of whatis drawn on the screen. It isn't that we are mesmerized, well most of us, it is thatthe. Viewing experience is dramatically improved.

I'm an old guy but even with aging eyes my transition to iPad 3 from version one was very enlightening. Honestly I don't think I ever swathe pixels in iPad 1 but iPad 3 is just a dramatically better experience.
    Oh nice. I may get an ipad for doodling at some point.
    I've dramatically reduced my use of my laptop as a portable and as such I'm strongly leaning towards getting a desktop in 2013 or so. The problem is right now Apple doesn't have a desktop that reaches out and grabs me. I could end up going with another MBP.
    While I'm not an imac fan, I hate the ergonomics of notebooks.
    Ergonomics is a big issue and frankly I've struggled with the MBP at the desk. Things like the Thunderbolt port though could make the use of a MBP as a desktop replacement a little bit easier to deal with.
    In that regard it's a very nice alternative.
    The jump from iPad 1 (barely usable as a tablet) to iPad 3 dramatically changed my thoughts on the viability of laptops for most of my travel needs. IPad 3 still has issues, for one it still needs more RAM, but it is a major step forwards.
    The rMBP saw some interesting improvements. I'm wondering if any of them will make their way into the next imac.
    This is the other thing that burns my ass! If Apple would put half the effort they put into laptop engineering, into desktop engineering, they would have the hottest desktop line up in the world. Nothing in the desktop line up is impressive at all. In reality the designs are stale and un inspired. The whole line up on the desktop seems to be the result of decisions made probably a decade ago when Steve came back and never updated for current market realities.
  • Reply 85 of 90

I have a mid-2010 iMac. One reason do dislike the idea of dumping optical drives is that my internal drive can reliably rip (legitimately purchased) CDs that my external drives fail on. For an unknown reason, my externals have a habit of failing to securely rip 1 or 2 tracks, usually the last, of some CDs, but the internal drive works a-ok. The externals are a lot faster, though.

• Reply 86 of 90
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    randian wrote: »
    I have a mid-2010 iMac. One reason do dislike the idea of dumping optical drives is that my internal drive can reliably rip (legitimately purchased) CDs that my external drives fail on. For an unknown reason, my externals have a habit of failing to securely rip 1 or 2 tracks, usually the last, of some CDs, but the internal drive works a-ok. The externals are a lot faster, though.

I don't think that has anything to do with it being internal v. external. Have you tried a better quality ODD? Have you tried Apple's external ODD option?
  • Reply 87 of 90
    randian wrote: »

It is probably the speed of those external drives that are creating problems. If you have noticed Apple has often sold drive mechanisms that are rated much faster by other vendors. I suspect Applke runs them slower to increase reliability.

I have had a long history with optical hardware and frankly it hasn't been a lot of joy over the years. High speed drives are only such in terms of marketing, in real life trying to use the high speed modes on these drives just brings heartache.
  • Reply 88 of 90
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The intention of retina isn't to give you more real estate though in some cases it does accomplishe that. Rather the ideas to dramatically improve the quality of whatis drawn on the screen. It isn't that we are mesmerized, well most of us, it is thatthe. Viewing experience is dramatically improved.

I'm an old guy but even with aging eyes my transition to iPad 3 from version one was very enlightening. Honestly I don't think I ever swathe pixels in iPad 1 but iPad 3 is just a dramatically better experience.

I've noted the scaling thing. Most of the time I prefer real estate. In terms of seeing pixels, I can detect them even with a display pushed back a bit, but they don't bother me as much as long as I have enough real estate.

Quote:

I've dramatically reduced my use of my laptop as a portable and as such I'm strongly leaning towards getting a desktop in 2013 or so. The problem is right now Apple doesn't have a desktop that reaches out and grabs me. I could end up going with another MBP.

Ergonomics is a big issue and frankly I've struggled with the MBP at the desk. Things like the Thunderbolt port though could make the use of a MBP as a desktop replacement a little bit easier to deal with.

Ergonomics have always been an issue with a notebook. Ideally if you're using a computer for longer periods of time, you can look straight ahead. Most displays (non Apple) are height adjustable. You move it to where you don't end up doing the computer neck thing to view. That was a big advantage for lcd displays over the older CRTs five or more years ago. I did see some people use the adjustable arms on their cinema displays.

Quote:

This is the other thing that burns my ass! If Apple would put half the effort they put into laptop engineering, into desktop engineering, they would have the hottest desktop line up in the world. Nothing in the desktop line up is impressive at all. In reality the designs are stale and un inspired. The whole line up on the desktop seems to be the result of decisions made probably a decade ago when Steve came back and never updated for current market realities.

The number of desktop vs notebook sales comes up on here frequently, but the real question is what Apple feels they can push as a system. If the ipad and future devices further outpace the macs, would a notebook really be the ideal accompaniment? The notebooks are still the hot thing. They're popular among students getting their first macs as they're still arguably better for note taking than a tablet device. The rMBP is the first Mac I've seen with a truly credible display effort. It's the first time where they tried to hit a typical D65 sRGB display on one of their notebooks. I had many complaints with the prior ones, especially the way they'd profile them. The default colorlcd profile on the older ones made pretty extreme adjustments to the green and blue relative to the red, and the red gamma was high to begin with. That just made no sense to me. i had i1 profiler aim it at native white point + gamma 2.2, and the software adjustment instead attempted to normalize all 3 rather than 2 to the highest initial value. The white point measured 8000k which is still quite cold (again LED), but trying to aim that at a lower target would create too many problems hitting it across the range.

• Reply 89 of 90
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

This is the other thing that burns my ass! If Apple would put half the effort they put into laptop engineering, into desktop engineering, they would have the hottest desktop line up in the world. 

It appears they do have the hottest desktop line up in the world...

Quote:

Nothing in the desktop line up is impressive at all. In reality the designs are stale and un inspired. The whole line up on the desktop seems to be the result of decisions made probably a decade ago when Steve came back and never updated for current market realities.

Impressive enough that HP just KIRFed it.

• Reply 90 of 90
    nht wrote: »
    It appears they do have the hottest desktop line up in the world...
    I'm not sure where you get that idea. Almost all of their success in the US comes from the laptop line up. The Mini and Pro have seen significant slides in sales.

Impressive enough that HP just KIRFed it.

HP will be no more successful with that than they have been with anything else. The problem with iMacs apparent success is that Apple doesn't give people any other real choice, thus the success is artificial. People buy the iMac because it is Apples only reasonable desktop solution. IMac has done more to force people into laptops than anything else.