Huge sales but no big surprises expected from Apple's 'iPhone 5'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With the anticipated unveiling of the next iPhone this week, Apple is expected to bring about the biggest launch in the history of consumer electronics, though a plethora of leaked parts and information mean there probably won't be any big surprises.

Analyst Brian White with Topeka Capital Markets said in a note to investors on Monday that he believes Apple's so-called "iPhone 5" will be the biggest upgrade in the history of consumer electronics. He believes Apple could sell between 10 million and 12 million units of the new iPhone to be sold in Apple's current fiscal quarter, which concludes at the end of September.

Chris Whitmore of Deutsche Bank also expects the new iPhone will represent the most significant handset upgrade to date from Apple, with an expected LTE 4G radio, larger 4-inch display, and a redesigned form factor.

Deutsche

"We expect this feature set to drive a massive refresh cycle which should be reflected in Apple's valuation over time," he said. "In short, we'd use any weakness in AAPL around the iPhone 5 event as a buying opportunity."

Any weakness in the company's stock this week may come from a lack of surprises in the unveiling of the new iPhone. Whitmore said with all the leaked information leading up to Wednesday's keynote, it "appears unlikely that Apple will positively surprise on iPhone 5's feature set."

With production of the new iPhone believed to be ramping up overseas, this year a significant number of leaks have shown what is expected to be the new iPhone's design, including the taller 4-inch display and the smaller 9-pin dock connector. The back of the new iPhone has been shown to have a new two-toned design featuring aluminum and glass.

Parts claimed to be for the new iPhone have even been photographed in detail side by side with Apple's existing iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS handset designs. They have shown that the new iPhone will be even thinner than its predecessors.

Deutsche Bank's research found that previous iPhone announcements had a small impact on Apple's share price. On average, the stock was up 1 percent the day after an announcement, up 1 percent five trading days after, and down 2 percent a month afterward.

But in the longer term, Apple's share price was up an average of 3 percent three months after an iPhone announcement, and a whopping 24 percent six months following the unveiling of a new iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    No surprise to forum goers? Probably not.

Surprises for the bulk of the market (that doesn't play on tech forums)? Absolutely. It's the same thing every year. Parts leak, rumours (seem to) tell all, lineups ensue.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    If they were expected, they wouldn't be big surprises, would they?
  • Reply 3 of 64

Regardless of what is going to be announced on Wednesday, I wouldn't go near an iPhone 5 with 10 foot pole. I love my 4S and I honestly believe that it is the best phone they have ever designed. The two-tone design on the back is a mistake (or the best run hoax on Apple part ever, I hope). 4 inches of screen real estate is too much and if the photos that have leaked out are to be believed, it just looks like the iPhone has been horribly stretched.

That and the fact that 4G LTE is only in its infancy doesn't make this phone upgrade worthy. Come and see me when the iPhone 6 or 6S is released...

• Reply 4 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

Regardless of what is going to be announced on Wednesday, I wouldn't go near an iPhone 5 with 10 foot pole. I love my 4S and I honestly believe that it is the best phone they have ever designed. The two-tone design on the back is a mistake (or the best run hoax on Apple part ever, I hope). 4 inches of screen real estate is too much and if the photos that have leaked out are to be believed, it just looks like the iPhone has been horribly stretched.

That and the fact that 4G LTE is only in its infancy doesn't make this phone upgrade worthy. Come and see me when the iPhone 6 or 6S is released...

Said from the man with 1 year left on his contract. I said the same thing about the 4S last year image

• Reply 5 of 64
    Hating the Helvetica Neue Light as the article font. Feel like I can't read a damn thing without going back over it six times.
  • Reply 6 of 64

Quote:

If they were expected, they wouldn't be big surprises, would they?

Exactly what I was thinking.

• Reply 7 of 64
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by daratbastid View Post

Said from the man with 1 year left on his contract. I said the same thing about the 4S last year image

Yeah...and with my 3GS....it is just time for a new phone.

• Reply 8 of 64

The BIG surpise is IPHONE 5 will come to CHINA MOBILE!!! WOW!

• Reply 9 of 64

i am baffled by comments like "The two-tone design on the back is a mistake" or knocking the way the bottom of the phone looks....who the          sits around all the time looking at the back of their phone??

just saying...yes i agree each to their own

• Reply 10 of 64

I never buy my iPhones on contract. I always pay the full price for the phone (the 4S is my second iPhone) because trying to get out of contract in the UK is nasty. There's no early exit fee of $300 and call it a day like in the USA; here we pay off the rest of the contract in full if we want to get out early.

Furthermore, I have a general rule about upgrades: when my iPhone no longer receives iOS updates or the phone becomes unbearable to use because the hardware can't keep up with the software I will then consider an upgrade and only if the upcoming iOS upgrade has a killer new feature that I would find useful.

From a design standpoint, and unless Apple has run the most successful hoax ever, I feel like Sir Jonathan has succumbed to peer pressure with this upcoming iPhone. It has everything the competition has and it feels like any innovation has to come from Scott Forstall's team. Apple doesn't feel like a market leader anymore...

• Reply 11 of 64
    I think I am going to pass for at least couple more years.
    Refuse to upgrade until fat bezels and the home button are gone.
    I wish that case size is back to normal (hate the fact it wont fit a pocket of a shirt) but that might never happen.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Hating the Helvetica Neue Light as the article font. Feel like I can't read a damn thing without going back over it six times.

That font-family has very tight tracking. They need to add letter-spacing = '.06em';

• Reply 13 of 64
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I think I am going to pass for at least couple more years.

Refuse to upgrade until fat bezels and the home button are gone.

I wish that case size is back to normal (hate the fact it wont fit a pocket of a shirt) but that might never happen.

In regards the bezel and the Home button you will be waiting for many many many years (it won't happen). 

Also ... who puts their iPhone in their shirt pocket?  WTF?

• Reply 14 of 64
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

No surprise to forum goers? Probably not.

Surprises for the bulk of the market (that doesn't play on tech forums)? Absolutely. It's the same thing every year. Parts leak, rumours (seem to) tell all, lineups ensue.

It may be my imagination but it seems to me that forum rumours are increasingly spilling into mainstream news. 

• Reply 15 of 64
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

It may be my imagination but it seems to me that forum rumours are increasingly spilling into mainstream news. 

Well, Apple's the largest company in the world now, so every move--or rumors of moves--will be mainstream news.

• Reply 16 of 64
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

lol... I thought the same thing

• Reply 17 of 64
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Roe View Post

i am baffled by comments like "The two-tone design on the back is a mistake" or knocking the way the bottom of the phone looks....who the          sits around all the time looking at the back of their phone??

Well, if we appreciate Apple it's also for their attention to detail. Even if you don't agree with him, saying that you don't care about the back is hardly an argument here. Someone else could argue that they don't care what their phone looks like at all, to each its own.

• Reply 18 of 64
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    ombra2105 wrote: »
    "....................

From a design standpoint, and unless Apple has run the most successful hoax ever, I feel like Sir Jonathan has succumbed to peer pressure with this upcoming iPhone. It has everything the competition has and it feels like any innovation has to come from Scott Forstall's team. Apple doesn't feel like a market leader anymore...

I'm with you on this. I'm flabbergasted at Leonardo not having one-upped himself in over half a millennium on La Gioconda, and Sir Jonathan...in over seven hundred and sixty days on the iPhone. Those are big numbers...! ...shame on you artists and creators, ...for not wanting to give we, the eyes of the beholder, the time of day...!
  • Reply 19 of 64
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

In regards the bezel and the Home button you will be waiting for many many many years (it won't happen). 

Yeah, he can wait for that, imo bezel might get slimmer on the sides, but the home button will never disappear.

• Reply 20 of 64
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

I put my iPhone in my shirt pocket every single day, never had a problem fitting it in.