Apple suppliers now shipping new 13" Retina MacBook Pros, iMacs - report

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
New 13-inch MacBook Pros with Retina display and updated all-in-one iMacs are now being shipped by Apple's upstream supply chain, according to a new report.

The details were published by sometimes-reliable DigiTimes on Monday, citing its usual sources in Apple's supply chain. Those anonymous tipsters reportedly indicated that the new 13.3-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display should officially launch in September or October.

The report also indicated that Apple planned to launch three models of the new iMac, but yield problems with panels led the company to postpone mass production of "the high-end model." No details on exactly which model that is, whether "high-end" was defined through size or hardware speed, was provided.

iMac

The information somewhat aligns with what analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities indicated about the new iMacs last August. He said production issues with the all-in-one desktop would lead to the 21.5-inch model launching at a sooner date than the larger 27-inch model.

The new iMacs are not expected to feature high-definition Retina displays, but will reportedly have a redesigned chassis along with Intel's latest Ivy Bridge processors.

The production issues are said to be caused largely by a new "full-lamination process" that will attach the display panel to the protective cover glass as part of the new design.

DigiTimes first reported in April that Apple planned to feature a new glass front design of the updated iMac lineup. It was said that the new models would feature anti-reflective display technology, and that they would be notably thinner than current models.

The iMac is said to be the most popular all-in-one desktop model in the world. In terms of overall desktop sales, Apple is the fifth-largest global manufacturer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    The details were published by sometimes-reliable <em>DigiTimes</em> <a href="http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120910PD208.html">on Monday</a>

Stopped reading right there
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Quoting Digitimes, lol.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    13 inch Retinas?

Yippee!

Oh, Digitimes.

Back to reality.
  • Reply 4 of 34

This will be a really tough decision for me. 

A 13" Retina MacBook would be great if it had designated graphics... we will see 

• Reply 5 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Stopped reading right there

You read as far as "Monday"?

Can someone point us to the instances when they have "sometimes" been reliable? Something more specific than, "Apple will release a new iPhone this year."

• Reply 6 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

New 13-inch MacBook Pros with Retina display and updated all-in-one iMacs are now being shipped by Apple's upstream supply chain, 

What does that mean exactly? Are they being sent to warehouses/stores? 

• Reply 7 of 34
    Funny, but apparently DigiTimes was the first one to leak the iPad Mini product as far back as February. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The report also indicated that Apple planned to launch three models of the new iMac, but yield problems with panels led the company to postpone mass production of "the high-end model." No details on exactly which model that is, whether "high-end" was defined through size or hardware speed, was provided.

If they do the same thing as the laptops (13", 15", rMBP), the high-end model would be the Retina model, which makes sense as it's the only one with a GPU powerful enough and with enough video memory to run it. It won't be double resolution but 50% or so higher. It's understandable they'd have yield issues with that. i don't think it can run over Thunderbolt though so I'd say no until we get the next TB controller.

I wouldn't expect them to leave the lower models the same unlike the MBPs but remove the opticals and laminate the glass in all the models.

I didn't want to see them continue with the 21.5" model but it means they can get the prices down. I wonder if they can get the entry-level down as low as $999. Those 21.5" panels must be dirt cheap by now.

Assuming the report is accurate, if they are shipping, they wouldn't launch in October or even late September. They will surely be available on Wednesday. They'd hardly have them sitting in storage for 4 weeks.

Mac Minis should be updated too but won't be mentioned as the update will be minor and they ship in far lower volumes.

I expect the 13" rMBP will be the big Mac hit due to students buying for college.

If they do all these updates at once - iMac, Mini, MBP, iPod lines, iPhone - that would probably be the biggest update they've ever done.
    anonymouse wrote:
    Can someone point us to the instances when they have "sometimes" been reliable?

It happens but as you can see at the following site, they didn't even make the Magic 8-ball rating:

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2012/05/24/how-accurate-is-digitimes/#.UE3qHWiVuMw
  • Reply 9 of 34
    gtr wrote: »
    13 inch Retinas?
    Yippee!
    Oh, Digitimes.
    Back to reality.

While DT isn't to be trusted this rumour is plausible. If they can manufacturer 15" Retina Displays they can surely manufacturer 13" models. The only issue I see is with the GPU to run 4x as many pixels. The 13" MBP currently only has an iGPU. However, remove the ODD and HDD, like in the RMBP, and you likely have room for it. I say likely because keeping the battery duration in the same window as the current 13" MBP likely requires a larger battery for the IPS display with 4x as many pixels to push.
  • Reply 10 of 34

I used to love the 24" model they sold… it was perfect for what i needed. But the 27" (which I have at work) is humongous and would dwarf my work room. The 21.5" however is a perfect size for a lot of home users. I'm actually glad they're still making them :)

If they'd sell a 24" I would go for it in a heart beat, but the 27" will only enter my house if/when I have a similarly large house ;)

Honestly, can't wait till those new iMacs hit the shelves… I have a 2y old iMac that's still great, but would love to have a nice update in CPU and GPU (in a 21.5" model) for my casual gaming habits.

• Reply 11 of 34

I really hope this is true! I've been holding off to buy that 13 in. rMBP (which I hope is not extremely expensive!) lol

• Reply 12 of 34
    Will the new iMacs have slightly tighter radiused corners? I tingle with anticipation.
  • Reply 13 of 34

'The production issues are said to be caused largely by a new "full-lamination process" that will attach the display panel to the protective cover glass as part of the new design.'

that'll mean another two notch downgrade for fixability then.....;-) because you can be 100% certain that our beloved Apple is gradually excluding the band of merry 'upgraders' out there. Hence the MacPro demise rumours, it's gonna be the only Mac left soon that can actually be upgraded with a simple screwdriver...lol

Plus my bet is they will come with no optical and a simple choice of hard drive or hard drive + SSD.

PS why can I not see any emotions when I click the icon?

• Reply 14 of 34

I'll bring this up again.

Quote:

The information somewhat aligns with what analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities indicated about the new iMacs last August

From last year in BGR.com

Quote:

Digitimes Research senior analyst Mingchi Kuo

so... Former Employer is confirming what current stock analyst is saying...  Hmmm.

(granted... Kuo has been right occasionally, maybe he was too accurate for DigiTimes;-).

• Reply 15 of 34
    Unless they can pin a release date down, then this rumor is just more speculation. The average reader can not confirm "up-channel shipping." It's obvious a 13" Retina will be next, especially considering other manufacturers have advertised those screens in their upcoming models.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    focher wrote: »
    Funny, but apparently DigiTimes was the first one to leak the iPad Mini product as far back as February. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Digitimes has been pushing the fall iPad since the original.

And it hasn't happened yet. We could get a surprise come wednesday
  • Reply 17 of 34
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by flabber View Post

I used to love the 24" model they sold… it was perfect for what i needed. But the 27" (which I have at work) is humongous and would dwarf my work room. The 21.5" however is a perfect size for a lot of home users. I'm actually glad they're still making them :)

If they'd sell a 24" I would go for it in a heart beat, but the 27" will only enter my house if/when I have a similarly large house ;)

Honestly, can't wait till those new iMacs hit the shelves… I have a 2y old iMac that's still great, but would love to have a nice update in CPU and GPU (in a 21.5" model) for my casual gaming habits.

Get the 27"- you won't regret it :-)

They could also always redesign it so the 27" is smaller (thinner black bezel or shorter bottom).  I don't think it needs that, but I'd be open to looking.  Of course- they'll also make it thinner, so I'll be able to fry eggs on it.

• Reply 18 of 34
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I'm wondering if they were also going to refresh the MacMini, that model needs a refresh along side the iMacs.

I am wondering if Apple is going to increase the size of the smallest iMac to a 24inch as well. I wonder if Apple will ever produce a touchscreen iMac. Every time I use an iMac, I am conditioned to use the touchscreen as if I am still using the iPad. I know computers are not tablets, but sometimes ya just want to touch the screen.

I also wonder how Apple is going to implement the fingerprint ID technology?

either impress one's thumb onto the touchscreen, or maybe come out with a new Multitouch track pad where the trackpad has a sensitive surface to accept fingerprint.

As far as MacBookPro's are concerned, I don't know why they offer the SSD drive option since they are priced basically the same as the retina model (w/the external drive).

I wonder if there is a big enough market for a high end 17 inch that has up to 32 GB RAM. If were going to use one for video editing or audio editing, I would prefer to do that on a 17inch model.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    What does that mean exactly? Are they being sent to warehouses/stores? 

The implication is that they are shipped to Apple's hub warehouses ready to hit stores by the weekend.

Which is possible. What I suspect is wrong is the implication that the lower priced iMacs have a retina screen and the high ones don't etc. that is a feature they would go high first,to mirror the MBP. Or go high end of each size as a second plan.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

While DT isn't to be trusted this rumour is plausible. If they can manufacturer 15" Retina Displays they can surely manufacturer 13" models. The only issue I see is with the GPU to run 4x as many pixels. The 13" MBP currently only has an iGPU. However, remove the ODD and HDD, like in the RMBP, and you likely have room for it. I say likely because keeping the battery duration in the same window as the current 13" MBP likely requires a larger battery for the IPS display with 4x as many pixels to push.

I was initially expecting such a thing one or two cycles later. Apple historically debuts things on their more expensive models, then moves them down later. It's not like that with everything, but it is a common behavior trend. The reasoning for picking Ivy seemed like it was due to the lack of anything truly interesting about it beyond usb3 and possibly Kepler for those who use CUDA. Putting a redesigned machine in such a generation makes it a lot more interesting. It would also make more sense with Haswell given that Intel is projecting another sizable improvement in gpu performance there. Other brands have placed discrete gpus into 13" notebooks. The main reasons I don't think we'll see one are the extra cost and power consumption.