Apple's chief counsel profiled as 'field marshal' in fight against Android

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Noreen Krall, Apple's chief litigation counsel, is the subject of a new feature that profiles her as the most important member of Apple's team in its patent battles against devices running Google's Android operating system.

The 47-year-old Krall was declared Apple's "field marshal" in the company's "thermonuclear war" against Android in a profile published on Monday by Bloomberg. Apple's pledge to go to war against Android was first stated by late company co-founder Steve Jobs in interviews with his biographer, Walter Isaacson.

That war saw its largest battle decided in favor of Apple last month, when a California jury found that Samsung had infringed on patents related to the iPhone. Apple was awarded $1.05 billion in damages for Samsung's infringement, though the company has appealed.

Krall
Noreen Krall, via Twitter.

Before the jury even ruled in that case, Krall sent a note to junior members of her team to thank them for their hard work. She and Apple's general counsel, Bruce Sewell, have built the legal team that has pursued and defended against patent infringement claims with Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Nokia and more.

Krall first came to Apple from Sun Microsystems in March of 2010, the same month that Apple filed its first patent infringement lawsuit against HTC, accusing the rival handset maker of violating 20 iPhone-related patents. The hiring of Krall marked the start of a patent litigation push that has seen dozens of lawsuits filed against numerous handset makers around the world.

Apple has since made steps to further bolster its legal team, hiring key litigation counsel members in a "hiring spree" that led to B.J. Watrous taking over as Apple's chief intellectual property counsel.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

She sure has nice floofy hair

I know that probably doesn't help with the lawyering and stuff, but it's nice all the same. 

I'm not too up on Korean culture, but wouldn't it be extra embarrassing for Samsung to have been beaten by a female lawyer?  I mean they probably have women lawyers also, but I would bet the boys are in charge, no?  

• Reply 2 of 18
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member

I'd tap it.

• Reply 3 of 18

History changing stuff. I'm glad she's getting her name out there for all the hard work she's doing. And she sounds like a great boss to work for in thanking her workers before the outcome is known.

[Nice comments only please. Real men treat women with dignity and respect. Contrast comments here with profiles on Craig Federighi & Dan Riccio.]

• Reply 4 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I wonder if she is related to Diana Krall the great jazz pianist who is married to Elvis Costello.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Not just a pretty face:

Noreen received a Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering from Manhattan College, a Masters Degree in Computer Science from Iona College, and Juris Doctor from Denver University.

• Reply 6 of 18

Noreen Krall, Sun's former chief counsel, is now Senior Director of IP Law and Litigation at Apple Inc. In the past, she worked as Staff Attorney, IP Law at IBM and Associate Attorney, IP Law at Beaton and Folsom, LLP. Noreen Krall’s specialties are IP, Patents, Copyrights, Trademarks, Licensing, Litigation, Open Source, and Standard Setting Organizations.

April 8, 2010 at http://news.softpedia.com/news/Apple-Hires-Expert-in-Patent-Fights-139390.shtml

• Reply 7 of 18
    "Real men treat women with dignity and respect."

AMEN.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    One of the things in common in all the cases, Quinn Emmanuel has been representing Samsung, HTC and Google/Motorola.

They have not been doing too well lately, Apple's lawyers are more than holding their own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinn_Emanuel
  • Reply 9 of 18

Better not leave the toilet seat up with this one....

• Reply 10 of 18
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

When the story about these guys came out: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/04/recently_promoted_apple_execs_awarded_50m_in_stock_grants there were plenty of comments about there appearance ("Ted Danson hair" was one I recall), so it's not inherently sexist to comment that this IP attorney is a looker.  In fact, I would say that the comments on every story are disproportionately about the pictures in the story and not the actual news.  Oh well.

• Reply 11 of 18

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Not just a pretty face:

Noreen received a Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering from Manhattan College, a Masters Degree in Computer Science from Iona College, and Juris Doctor from Denver University.

Not just a lawyerly face! She's probably the perfect one for this job. She could herself tear through errors of industry made by opposing lawyer-lawyers right in court!

• Reply 12 of 18
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Looks a bit like Tea Leoni.  She can play her in the exciting TV movie about the Apple-Android legal drama.

• Reply 13 of 18
    Her name should be "Norad Krall" muahaha
  • Reply 14 of 18
    It is also obvious that Apple hires top notch photographers. Image is definately something Apple has a focus on. Just one more weapon in a strong lawyer's arsenal. She doesn't look like some one who had no other options when choosing this career.
  • Reply 15 of 18

I wouldn't want to be in the room when some caveman sends her out for coffee...

• Reply 16 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

She sure has nice floofy hair

I know that probably doesn't help with the lawyering and stuff, but it's nice all the same. 

I'm not too up on Korean culture, but wouldn't it be extra embarrassing for Samsung to have been beaten by a female lawyer?  I mean they probably have women lawyers also, but I would bet the boys are in charge, no?  

It's just amazing how well-cultured and cosmopolitan average AI'ers are (sarcasm). Well, I think you are thinking along the line of Taliban or Islamic fundamentalism.

Furthermore, why would Samsung be embarrassed?  Apple's win in the US was more of an oddity than anything else - the courts in the UK, Netherlands, Japan, Austrialia, and Germany (partial) sided with Samsung.  I would hardly call that "embarrassing." 

So no. Not really.  Until Apple appoints a female CEO, Ms. Krall is irrelevant.

• Reply 17 of 18

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

It's just amazing how well-cultured and cosmopolitan average AI'ers are (sarcasm). Well, I think you are thinking along the line of Taliban or Islamic fundamentalism.

Would you mind pointing out what in his post speaks to that? I happen to be an idiot, so we'll get that out of the way.

Furthermore, why would Samsung be embarrassed?

For one who speaks directly of the existence of such cultures, I'm confused at your inability to parse that he's referring to how some cultures believe in different roles for women and men. If you've no direct rebuttal to that on the part of South Korean culture, I'm also confused at your reason for even asking without providing said information.

Apple's win in the US was more of an oddity than anything else - the courts in the UK, Netherlands, Japan, Austrialia, and Germany (partial) sided with Samsung.  I would hardly call that "embarrassing." 

Thanks for turning an argument not about Apple into a "look how "bad" Apple is doing"-fest. 

I think that's more sexist than anything you're claiming about "AI users".

Sometimes* I wish that our UI changes would result in trolls packing up and leaving instead of proper users.

*every single time

• Reply 18 of 18
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Furthermore, why would Samsung be embarrassed?  Apple's win in the US was more of an oddity than anything else - the courts in the UK, Netherlands, Japan, Austrialia, and Germany (partial) sided with Samsung.  I would hardly call that "embarrassing." 

No.  I just meant that it's a male-dominated world and that Asian cultures are, in general, more that way than most others, (you are right that Muslim cultures would probably "win" the male-dominated prize though), and so that this might be an embarrassing thing.  

I did say that I wasn't by any means sure about Korean culture.  I only have one Korean relative and I've never been there.