HP taken to task for releasing iMac clone

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
After joining a variety of other PC makers in producing "Ultrabooks" closely patterned after Apple's MacBook Air, HP has released a new "Spectre One" PC that looks "painfully" like an Apple iMac.

Matthew Panzarino of the NextWeb announced the new HP model with the headline "HP introduces new Apple iMac," calling it "painful to look at" and saying it "looks like absolutely nothing other than a complete clone of Apple?s iMac."

The new HP doesn't have the identical aluminum bezel as Apple's iMac line, but does trade in HP's typical black plastic case for a design that appears to be Apple's Cinema Display.

The world's largest PC company by unit sales even paired its new model with a slim wireless keyboard and trackpad that look identical to the designs Apple first released for the revised aluminum iMac in 2007.

Other media outlets covering the new model appeared careful not to raise any suggestion that HP's latest PC was desperately trying to get some mileage out of the design Apple made famous, but users commenting on those reports pointed out the obvious. Those comments were met by others who insisted that Apple's designs were really the only way to make devices ranging from PCs to tablets to smartphones.

Electronista noted that HP's new model "that instantly recalls Apple's iMac" is touted for its "Windows 8-rediness" but does not support touchscreen input, relying instead upon trackpad gestures "in another nod to an Apple philosophy."

Nothing is new about copying Apple's designs; the company just sued Samsung over trade dress and design patents for what it called "slavish copying" of its iPhone and iPad. A jury agreed, returning a verdict that included over $1billion in fines and profit return to Apple.

Just over ten years ago, Apple similarly filed for trade dress claims related to its original translucent plastic iMac model, which injected interest into the boring PC industry that had seen little design innovation in more than a decade.

Apple successfully stopped eMachines, Daewoo and other Asian PC makers from selling their iMac copies. Since then, the company has launched relatively few legal actions to protect its Mac designs, apart from a battle with Psystar that successfully stopped the tiny firm from including Apple's OS X software on its "OpeniMac" PCs.

At the same time, however, Apple's close partner Intel has actively stoked imitation among larger PC makers, introducing a Mac mini clone with AOpen based on the chip maker's "reference design" for small PCs in 2005.

Apple has since redesigned the Mac mini to more closely resemble its Apple TV box, but Samsung and Google immediately teamed up to deliver a "Series 3 Chromebox" with the same design, right down to its round lid base.

Last year, Intel launched another "reference design" response to Apple's increasingly successful MacBook line under the brand "Ultrabook," and has spent hundreds of millions to advertise the initiative.

PC makers dutifully turned out a series of MacBook clones in time for Intel to display a half dozen doppelg?ngers at the Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show in January, with HP among the companies looking to Apple for design leadership.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 178
    And all the apple hater's will come out with a rebuttal saying apple is evil and they stole the designs from someone else..
  • Reply 2 of 178
    Dont these people get it?
    People want an imac.. Not a imac lookalike pc.
    Imac is more than a piece of decoration in the house or office!

Ho discredits itself as a dumb copycat with no ideas!

Plus new imacs are on theur way! So much for coping the old!
  • Reply 3 of 178

Okay, fine, pick up this story that is on the other Mac sites.

… 

But at least include the Vizio model that I mentioned in one of the earlier comment sections. You know, the one that does the exact same thing, ignoring all the earlier hoo-hah about "trackpads on a desktop computer" that the Anti-Apple Brigade loves to whine about.

On a different note, where can I get a HalfBook Pro? 

imac

• Reply 4 of 178
    Next we will see tire companies suing for copying the look of a tire. While I can say sure it has similarities so what. People who buy a MAC do so for the OS X benefits (like I did) and Vizio unveiled what could be seen as copying Apple's products http://www.vizio.com/computing/ but no one complained here.

So if HP has chosen to put the guts on the bottom, the display on top that is different than Apple which puts the guts and display on the top.

The one thing I have yet to see is Apple actually go after blatant violators of trade dress in China. Has anyone actually looked at the products unveiled there which are identical to the iPhone in every way and yet Apple doesn't go after them.

Then there is the Goophone i5 http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/30/goophone-i5-manages-to-kirf-the-2012-iphone-weeks-in-advance/ which the manufacturer has patented the design in China and has publicly said they will sue Apple if they release an iP5 that looks like it.

I have to chuckle at that one given the fact that theirs is a (possible) rip off of the next iPhone which we may or may not see on Wednesday.

At any rate I am waiting to replace my current MBP 13" with a new MBP Retina 13" with Apple Cinema display.
  • Reply 5 of 178
    These people need to get their own ideas and quit copying Apple. HP can't afford to lose a billion dollars.
  • Reply 6 of 178
    Apple is allowed to copy braun but nobody is allowed to copy apple? That does not make sense.
  • Reply 7 of 178
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's a sad time for innovation. Oddly enough, one of the more interesting companies right now - aside from Apple, obviously - is Microsoft.

Why are they interesting? Because they are doing their own thing, and that's how the consumer gets real choice. Even if it's a crap choice, it's a genuine alternative.
  • Reply 8 of 178
    Seriously, it's downright embarrassing. Or at least it should be. These other companies should be ashamed, it's 100% an admission of "we have no ideas, let's use Apple's and see what we can get away with."

• Reply 9 of 178

Apple doesn't sell "MACS" - they sell Macs, short for Macintoshes, not an acronym.  

• Reply 10 of 178
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    If you can't beat them join them. Unfortunately, that club is very expensive from a legal perspective. Looks like HP should have stuck with their initial plan and got out of the PC industry last year.
  • Reply 11 of 178
    the fact that companies copy apples designs so much is embarrassing. how do they look eachother in the face at the boardroom table when someone tries to say "this is our new design"? it must be a disgrace that their "ingenuity" is something employees in Cupertino though up years ago. Its also shameful that they are allowed to sell such blatant ripoffs as original!

• Reply 12 of 178
    Okaaay...Hmmm
  • Reply 13 of 178
    It doesn't look much like an iMac. The screen bezel is very different. The pedestal is very different. Even the wireless keyboard isn't much like Apple's. the HP keyboard has silver keys, Apple's keyboard has white keys that are shaped differently. I'm sorry, fanbois, but Apple didn't invent the rectangle.
  • Reply 14 of 178
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

Next we will see tire companies suing for copying the look of a tire. While I can say sure it has similarities so what. People who buy a MAC do so for the OS X benefits (like I did) 

The problem with your analogy is you can't patent something that is necessary to the utility of something. So, for a tire to work it has to be round. You can't patent that. Now you can patent how the rubber is made.

I buy a Mac for both the integrated design of the hardware and the operating system. Apple is a hardware company that uses software and cutting edge design to sell the hardware. It doesn't want other machines looking like its own. 

• Reply 15 of 178
    Actually yojimbo007 not everyone likes Mac OS X, yet want a simple all in one PC (personal computer) that looks good. So if they want Windows they to get a Dell tower, no thanks. My wife doesn't care for the OS X interface on her nearly 4 year old iMac and I happen to like my MBP 13".

The simple solution is to find something similar to the iMac that runs windows, or I have to buy the most over loaded iMac I can get so I can run Parallels and Windows which is a hog on resources.

I do agree though if you want a Mac you get a Mac, if you want Windows you get a wider range and variety of configurations and design options, sort of like Android vs iOS. I use an iPad 3, I will be getting the iP5 64GB and will be happy. But not everyone wants iOS they want choices so Android does just that.
  • Reply 16 of 178
    popnfresh wrote: »
    It doesn't look much like an iMac. The screen bezel is very different. The pedestal is very different. Even the wireless keyboard isn't much like Apple's. the HP keyboard has silver keys, Apple's keyboard has white keys that are shaped differently. I'm sorry, fanbois, but Apple didn't invent the rectangle.

Am I a fanbois for thinking HP's version is downright ugly?
  • Reply 17 of 178
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Apple is allowed to copy braun but nobody is allowed to copy apple? That does not make sense.

Show me a Braun design patent that Apple is copying. I won't hold my breathe. 

• Reply 18 of 178
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

And all the apple hater's will come out with a rebuttal saying apple is evil and they stole the designs from someone else..

Euclid, perhaps?

• Reply 19 of 178
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    When is Google/Android and HP crowd going to have an original design idea?

• Reply 20 of 178
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Computers and phones and tablets have always looked the same. Apple’s products don’t look unique and never did. Anyone using the same designs as Apple would have done so even without Apple, because there’s no other look possible. Clearly...

Mental gymnastics brought to you courtesy of Apple Haters Without a Reason.