HP taken to task for releasing iMac clone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 178
    HP used to be a model company for Steve Jobs. Now it is a shame for U.S. industry.
  • Reply 22 of 178

Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Apple is allowed to copy braun but nobody is allowed to copy apple? That does not make sense.

That's because your argument is flawed.

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Am I a fanbois for thinking HP's version is downright ugly?

Yes. Innovate, don't litigate. 

Who coined that, by the way? Was it here?

• Reply 23 of 178
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Quote:

Apple is allowed to copy braun but nobody is allowed to copy apple? That does not make sense.

Show me a Braun design patent that Apple is copying. I won't hold my breathe. 

Huh!  I thought my iShaver and my iCoffeeMill looked familiar!

• Reply 24 of 178
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

These people need to get their own ideas and quit copying Apple. HP can't afford to lose a billion dollars.

A billion MORE Dollars!!

• Reply 25 of 178

Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

Next we will see tire companies suing for copying the look of a tire. While I can say sure it has similarities so what. People who buy a MAC do so for the OS X benefits (like I did) and Vizio unveiled what could be seen as copying Apple's products http://www.vizio.com/computing/ but no one complained here.

False equivalency. Apple used inspiration from Braun devices to make gadgets of an entirely different category. Goodyear will not sue me for making donuts with black frosting and knobby edges, because no consumer will confuse donuts with tires. If I market a physical notepad that resembles OS X Mountain Lion's "Notes" app (fullscreen), it is a different type of product; If the designers at Apple and my company both acknowledge the influence as a nice homage (as is the case with Apple and Braun), it is no problem, and no hint of litigation.

HP is making a product in the same category, that is a direct competitor to Apple's product. Average customers can and will be confused by this, as evidenced by the high return rate of tablets and smartphones that resemble Apple's too closely. To say nothing of the disrespect or willful ignorance by HP and ultrabook makers lately.

Originally Posted by ham_bone View Post

the fact that companies copy apples designs so much is embarrassing. how do they look eachother in the face at the boardroom table when someone tries to say "this is our new design"? it must be a disgrace that their "ingenuity" is something employees in Cupertino though up years ago. Its also shameful that they are allowed to sell such blatant ripoffs as original!

That's what you get with a boardroom of old suits who don't take Apple seriously. I am in regular contact with people who refer to their computers as "toys."

• Reply 26 of 178

I don't ever like to say that someone has blatantly and shameless copied Apple's designs. They are strong allegations. But I really can't see how anyone can deny that these are blatant and shameless copies! 

• Reply 27 of 178

Quote:

your post only makes sense if you are retarded. why?

one thing is inspiration, like looking at some heater and make a computer. the other thing is being a shameless copycat. 

• Reply 28 of 178
    @majortom1981

Great point! Kindly point us to Braun's computers and phones so we can take Apple to task. If you could find an article where any designer from Braun complained about Apple as opposed to complementing Apple, that could also be helpful.

Thanks for the insight.
  • Reply 29 of 178

Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

Actually yojimbo007 not everyone likes Mac OS X, yet want a simple all in one PC (personal computer) that looks good. So if they want Windows they to get a Dell tower, no thanks. My wife doesn't care for the OS X interface on her nearly 4 year old iMac and I happen to like my MBP 13".

The simple solution is to find something similar to the iMac that runs windows, or I have to buy the most over loaded iMac I can get so I can run Parallels and Windows which is a hog on resources.

I do agree though if you want a Mac you get a Mac, if you want Windows you get a wider range and variety of configurations and design options, sort of like Android vs iOS. I use an iPad 3, I will be getting the iP5 64GB and will be happy. But not everyone wants iOS they want choices so Android does just that.

I follow your logic in regards to consumer choices, but it clearly does not apply to manufacturers, since the "wide range and variety" in the Windows hardware ecosystem is looking increasingly Apple-like. Ultrabooks, all-in-one desktops, HP's magic trackpad that would fool anyone at first glance. Granted, Windows 8 RT has inspired a few crazy new form factors...

• Reply 30 of 178

Quote:

There's certainly a number of similarities in some Apple designs to some of Dieter Rams designs for Braun.

Rams came up with a set of design principles which everyone doing industrial design should follow.

So is Apple copying Braun? 

No, because Braun don't make computers, and Apple don't make electric razors.  

One of Rams' principles is honesty. Stuff should look like what it is.  

Metal should look like metal, plastic should look like plastic. 

Apple has finally come around to honest design.

But I notice the HP keyboard could not resist the horrid faux-metal plastic keys. 

• Reply 31 of 178
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

These people need to get their own ideas and quit copying Apple. 

There aren't any more ideas. Apple already thought up all the ideas. Apple's ideas have been used by everyone for so long they should be made public domain.

• Reply 32 of 178

Well, this trick worked for Samsung.

Stupid journalists ( Apple haters/Guardian.co.uk/BBC/TheVerge … ) will ignore this.

They learned HOW to kill Apple, back to the future style.

All THX!! to Samsung and those i-Love-cheap-in-order-to-grab-all minded people.

• Reply 33 of 178

Quote:

These people need to get their own ideas and quit copying Apple. HP can't afford to lose a billion dollars.

If Meg Whitman had any balls, she would not let HP's PC division copy Apple so blatantly.  But, then again....

• Reply 34 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But at least include the Vizio model that I mentioned in one of the earlier comment sections. You know, the one that does the exact same thing, ignoring all the earlier hoo-hah about "trackpads on a desktop computer" that the Anti-Apple Brigade loves to whine about.

I saw the Vizio.  It is certainly pushing it but I think they changed just enough to avoid looking like a complete knock off.  Just my opinion, and that isn't exactly a complement or a defense.  I just can't believe how unbelievably bold (in a bad way) HP was.  They didn't even try.  They didn't make a change worth mentioning.  It is such an overt and obvious attempt to copy the design of an iMac that I can't even begin to understand what they were thinking.

• Reply 35 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There aren't any more ideas. Apple already thought up all the ideas. Apple's ideas have been used by everyone for so long they should be made public domain.

Really?

Is that what you call competing?

There aren't any more ideas you wrote.

You certainly never had one.

THX. to copy & paste.

• Reply 36 of 178

Looks more like Vizio's AIO to me, but whatever. Have your little "Dey took ur dezines!" party and get it out of your systems.

• Reply 37 of 178

The difference between HP and Samsung is that Apple won't win against HP in a lawsuit. Why? Because, HP has been around for too long, with tons of patents on computers, HP can just countersue.

• Reply 38 of 178
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

The simple solution is to find something similar to the iMac that runs windows, or I have to buy the most over loaded iMac I can get so I can run Parallels and Windows which is a hog on resources.

You can install Windows with Boot Camp. Then at least you don't have the overhead of Parallels. Just about any iMac, even an older one will run Windows.

• Reply 39 of 178
    So is HP and all Apple "hater" admitting that Apple was "right" 5 years before everyone else in the industry? How ironic!
  • Reply 40 of 178
    What really bothers me is the Track pad looking thing. What's up with that? The mouse pads on most Windows machines seriously suck, and the gestures were really inconsistent from one device to another. So what is their trackpad going to 'do'? Is it going to use the same gestures as the Magic Trackpad? That thing is truly beyond the pale in copycatdom. How will that thing work? You know how Apple feels about their gestures.