HP taken to task for releasing iMac clone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 178
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There aren't any more ideas. Apple already thought up all the ideas. Apple's ideas have been used by everyone for so long they should be made public domain.

Really?

Is that what you call competing?

There aren't any more ideas you wrote.

You certainly never had one.

THX. to copy & paste.

I'm sorry. I completely 'misunderestimated' that such a preposterous remark would require a '/s' so there it is.

• Reply 42 of 178
    LOL what else do you expect from a company like HP? They used to be a great company until they decided to get into bed with Micro$hit. Their products are crappy unreliable and uninspiring. They headed the way of the dinosaurs.
  • Reply 43 of 178
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    After literally decades of building PC's - and the industry at large - the best that they were able to do with all those years of cranking out PC's was to make them all look just like Apple products. Shameful.

What the heck is so difficult about differentiating oneself from a competitor's product? Is it really that difficult or is it them cutting back their marketing and design departments and letting Apple do the R
  • Reply 44 of 178
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

majortom1981, last time I checked Braun never released computers or portable electronic devices. (cordless Razors don't count).
  • Reply 45 of 178
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Keep in mind that pretty much every single one of Apple's new products/form factors/design decisions is mocked to hell and back when first unveiled 

iPhone- LOL NO PHYSICAL KEYBOARD NO PORTS NO REMOVABLE STORAGE NON REMOVABLE BATTERY FAIL!!!

Macbook Air- LOL NOBODY WANTS A LAPTOP THAT THIN WHAT ARE THEY THINKING LOL NO REMOVABLE BATTERY LOL NO TRACKPAD BUTTON

iPad: LOL MASSIVE IPOD TOUCH WITH PHONE OS TABLETS ARE A FAIL SO MUCH WORSE THAN A NETBOOK, NETBOOKS ALL THE WAY

Magic Trackpad: LOL TRACKPADS SUCK WHY PUT THEM WITH A DESKTOP TRYING TO MAKE EVERYTHING LIKE A TOY LOL APPLE

Etc Etc. I remember well how many each these things, and everything else Apple has made, were bashed when first released. The Macbook Air was seen as a joke by so many. Yet, now it's 'obvious design' of course, and Apple haters fanatically cheerlead competing, identical looking machines, calling it 'obvious' design, and feigning ignorance at the resemblance. LOL DID APPLE PATENT THIN LAPTOPS??! No, you morons, but you mocked the damn thing when the only company who made that form factor was Apple. A virtual touch keyboard was "laughable and pathetic", until everyone else started doing it.  Now, of course, an ultrabook is awesome if its made by Samsung/HP/Asus, non-removable battery and all. Same thing here, where the trolls pretend not to see the resemblance and call it 'obvious' design. I wonder how many of these 'obvious designs' would have seen the light of day if Apple did not exist? Wild guess: 0.  Somehow, obvious design stems from Apple's design EACH and EVERY time. Must be coincidence, or something. Its just the 'natural evolution' of things. 

• Reply 46 of 178
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's a sad time for innovation. Oddly enough, one of the more interesting companies right now - aside from Apple, obviously - is Microsoft.

Why are they interesting? Because they are doing their own thing, and that's how the consumer gets real choice. Even if it's a crap choice, it's a genuine alternative.

I feel the same way.  They are trying to create rather than steal.  Their efforts are not glorious, but they are workable.  Now, If they had anyone other than Ballmer at the helm they might be able to succeed.

• Reply 47 of 178
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Okay, fine, pick up this story that is on the other Mac sites.

… 

But at least include the Vizio model that I mentioned in one of the earlier comment sections. You know, the one that does the exact same thing, ignoring all the earlier hoo-hah about "trackpads on a desktop computer" that the Anti-Apple Brigade loves to whine about.

On a different note, where can I get a HalfBook Pro? 

LL
    imac

People expect Vizio to make knockoffs. Perhaps they believe h worlds largest PC maker might do better.
  • Reply 48 of 178

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

So is HP and all Apple "hater" admitting that Apple was "right" 5 years before everyone else in the industry? How ironic!

Even longer, considering the G5 iMac. Apple has been right for eight years. 

Originally Posted by WisdomSeed View Post

Is it going to use the same gestures as the Magic Trackpad? That thing is truly beyond the pale in copycatdom. How will that thing work? You know how Apple feels about their gestures.

And if HP or Vizio are at all infringing, Apple'll give them a gesture, that's for sure.

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

People expect Vizio to make knockoffs. Perhaps they believe h worlds largest PC maker might do better.

The one that was reportedly considering dropping computers entirely, that is.

• Reply 49 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Apple is allowed to copy braun but nobody is allowed to copy apple? That does not make sense.

I must have missed the products that Braun have in the computer industry ... I'm sure we'd all like to see their Laptop

When Apple produce an Apple Coffee Maker we can then say they may have copied braun

I wish they had dislike votes enabled, majortom1981 obviously dislikes Apple

• Reply 50 of 178
    "Apple is allowed to copy braun but nobody is allowed to copy apple? That does not make sense."

You might have a point if Braun made computers.
  • Reply 51 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Apple is allowed to copy braun (sic) but nobody is allowed to copy apple? That does not make sense.

Braun made computers??

• Reply 52 of 178
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Don't forget the Envy laptop.

120130_hp_macbook_knockoff.jpg
  • Reply 53 of 178
    yojimbo007 wrote: »
    Dont these people get it?
    People want an imac.. Not a imac lookalike pc.
    Imac is more than a piece of decoration in the house or office!
    Ho discredits itself as a dumb copycat with no ideas!
    Plus new imacs are on theur way! So much for coping the old!

That's the problem. People who will spend more $1000 for a vendor-built PC are almost always going to be buy a Mac. This is just their attempt to play follow the leader. Of course, they'll cut corners, which makes sense because they don't have the same dedication to quality or volume to allow them to compete directly, and they'll still have to use Windows so it'll ultimately fail as a product the way the Dell XPS Ones did.

Personally, I don't see any illegal copying here. It's surely inspired by Apple's products but there is nothing about that I see Apple can claim ownership of and enough differences in the design, especially the stand (I wish the iMacs had USB in the stand), to make it unique enough.
  • Reply 54 of 178
    Braun made computers??

Even if Apple did blatant clone an actual Braun product we're not talking about any Braun product that has existed on the market for decades. If HP wants to start making a bondi blue CRT AIO PC I don't see Apple doing anything but laughing.
  • Reply 55 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

So is HP and all Apple "hater" admitting that Apple was "right" 5 years before everyone else in the industry? How ironic!

I love how anyone that doesn't instantly agree with Apple's side in all things is instantly labeled a "hater" on this site. I own a 13" and 15" MBP, I've owned every single iPhone since the 3G, every single iPod since the Windows-compatible 1.5G came out, and have been using Apple computers since the II came out way back when, but yeah I'm such a "hater" because I don't look at a similar product from the competition and scream "RAPE!"

Yeesh. Fanboys. Steve, save us from your followers.

• Reply 56 of 178
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    I may have mentioned this before but you can have a Mac or you can have something else. It may look like a Mac, though it's not a Mac.
  • Reply 57 of 178
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Personally, I don't see any illegal copying here. It's surely inspired by Apple's products but there is nothing about that I see Apple can claim ownership of and enough differences in the design, especially the stand (I wish the iMacs had USB in the stand), to make it unique enough.

I agree. Reaching around the back to plug in my camera card reader is a pain. That is about the only thing I use USB for on the iMac. That HP also looks like it has a SD card reader in the stand which is pretty cool although I use Compact Flash a lot too.

• Reply 58 of 178
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    No surprise from the venom filled headline that this is another piece of fanboy nonsense from DED.

So Apple now owns the copyright on not only rounded rectangles, but angular silver things too? This really is getting pathetic DED.
  • Reply 59 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

If you can't beat them join them. Unfortunately, that club is very expensive from a legal perspective. Looks like HP should have stuck with their initial plan and got out of the PC industry last year.

Perhaps HP is planning on going out in "style" this year... 

Or, it was necessary to copy Apple this year, since they canned all their designers last year...

HP's sales slogan this year: "Little Dude, You're Getting a HaPple!"

• Reply 60 of 178
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

These guys should join Samsung on planet Kamino.