AppleInsider's New Look (This thread was about the first Huddler redesign)

Comments

• Reply 161 of 215
    Gawd, I hate these new forums... Please change the font to something slightly more bold guys. It's not very easy to read.
  • Reply 162 of 215

I had no choice to block all the horrific continuously moving images. I don't know how people can stand it, easily as annoying as gif animation.

• Reply 163 of 215

Quote:

Originally Posted by djkikrome View Post

The previous site appearance was good design.  It was what Steve Jobs would have preferred.  Functional and practical.  Not flashy and less useful.  From one apple fan to another.

Dude seriously, not true. Steve was about functionality and practicality, but he was also about aesthetics. Look at Apple products. Windows is functional, but the aesthetics suck. An iMac? It could be a beige box with a 10" monitor attached through USB with a 10x10 res. 

• Reply 164 of 215

I'm still wondering why there is no forum specific view for the iPhone (unless I missed something). Reading comments defaults to the non-mobile version of the site, with tiny text. I can't believe there's no mobile version of the forum client.

Am I missing something?

• Reply 165 of 215

Originally Posted by parksgm View Post

I'm still wondering why there is no forum specific view for the iPhone (unless I missed something).

Huddler just doesn't have one. They're working on it. Still.

• Reply 166 of 215
    Not so wild about this new AI format. Why don't you release an app instead of making the text so big?
  • Reply 167 of 215

Me neither... it's too... far apart. The way the spacing between the articles is presented is making it difficult for my eyes to center on them.

• Reply 168 of 215
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by parksgm View Post

I'm still wondering why there is no forum specific view for the iPhone (unless I missed something).

Huddler just doesn't have one. They're working on it. Still.

Do you have a link that they are working on it? I could not find any mention of mobile anything when I looked at their site a few weeks ago. All it said was drive traffic to your site, drive traffic, drive traffic ... I'm paraphrasing of course but that was the only message that was emphasized.

• Reply 169 of 215

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Do you have a link that they are working on it?

Sadly, no. We're just told that they are. Or were, at least, when we last heard.

• Reply 170 of 215
    zengazenga Posts: 267member

nice layout.. i like the iphone layout more.. adapt the forums to the iphones too..

• Reply 171 of 215
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Before you see this, I want to disclaim that I'm not in charge of design here in any capacity and also have no power nor ability to change it myself.

Having said that, I downloaded the HTML and CSS files of the front page and am taking a crack at making it look better. I love web design, and I've always been good at it. In my first class therein, we were to use Dreamweaver. An hour on that crap and I said screw it and aced the course by hand coding the HTML and CSS in TextEdit. 

You may have aced the course, but you are totally spinning your wheels here. Arguably anyone who even enrolls in an HTML course is FAIL 100%. But that aside if you have no control over the server that the website is hosted on, the only hope you have of making any changes on how it displays on your monitor is to walk the DOM with your own client side script which is what I have been trying to tell you for awhile although I have not actually explained it in so many words. You have to look at my scripts, which I have posted, and figure out how to use them. Then perhaps you can improve on them. Right now you are just shooting blanks in the dark.

• Reply 172 of 215

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You may have aced the course, but you are totally spinning your wheels here. Arguably anyone who even enrolls in an HTML course is FAIL 100%. But that aside if you have no control over the server that the website is hosted on, the only hope you have of making any changes on how it displays on your monitor is to walk the DOM with your own client side script which is what I have been trying to tell you for awhile although I have not actually explained it in so many words. You have to look at my scripts, which I have posted, and figure out how to use them. Then perhaps you can improve on them. Right now you are just shooting blanks in the dark.

I don't have a clue what you're trying to do here other than insult me. I didn't make this so that it would display differently for me or anyone else when I visit the page. I just wanted to see what could be done, simply, to improve readability and contrast. I certainly don't have to explain myself to you, but that's the last time I tell anyone anything about myself in any context unless it's disparaging; that's for certain.

• Reply 173 of 215

Quote:

I don't have a clue what you're trying to do here other than insult me. I didn't make this so that it would display differently for me or anyone else when I visit the page. I just wanted to see what could be done, simply, to improve readability and contrast. I certainly don't have to explain myself to you, but that's the last time I tell anyone anything about myself in any context unless it's disparaging; that's for certain.

It was unneccessary for him to say that, but you shouldn't let that stop you from saying what you want to say. Anyone who says 'fail' unless it's referring to something giving out or not making a passing grade should be ignored anyway.

• Reply 174 of 215

Horrible. I'll probably read news on Macrumors and come here for the forums.

• Reply 175 of 215
    After 5 years having AppleInsider be the first website I visit daily it's time to move on. The new layout with its abundant and tacky banner ads sandwiching a thinner and less readable article column is just too ugly to look at each morning. I love change, but only when it's for the better. On to MacRumors. best of luck with the future AI, it was fun while it lasted.
  • Reply 176 of 215

I really dislike the new website design...it makes me want to spend as little time on the site as possible....and sadly this was my preferred apple information website.  I hope you guys decide to go back to the old layout or some other new layout.  Its hard to read....and is just a poor layout.  I may have to move to primarily going to other sites....I've already started using Mac Rumors much more......sad.

• Reply 177 of 215

Have to agree with some of the criticisms here. While the colors and general look is nice on its surface (very "Web 3.0" or whatever,) for me the overall usability of AppleInsider has been dramatically diminished with this new design. This site has been my near-exlusive source for Apple news for years now and I'd hate to ditch it since I presume the content will remain excellent. Any chance to make a "classic view" available to toggle on? Anyone figured out a work-around? Would really hate to defect to the good, but inferior, Macrumors...

• Reply 178 of 215

After today, I'm done with the site.  It's difficult to navigate articles.  Before it was easy to read and ALL articles just flowed from newest to oldest.  Then maybe some special sections.  But now, I am reading an old article and at the end I can't find an easy way to simply go to the next newest article.  It's jumbled and split and spread out.  I've given it time and worked with it but after today, this site is going the way of iOS 5 for me……into the past.  I can't deal with this layout any more.  And it's a shame because it was such an awesome site.  Everyday, multiple times a day I was reading the articles and keeping up with the stock prices and following the court case.  No where else but here.  But this is just way to complicated to simply read news.

After many years, fairwell AI and fellow users.

• Reply 179 of 215

I love the new design!! Well done.

• Reply 180 of 215

No, it is not. It is horrible. A waste of productivity time (enforced scrolling!) and screen space (far less oversight).