HP taken to task for releasing iMac clone

Comments

• Reply 121 of 178
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I could agree with that if price was weighed in as a factor. I don't recall the prices of the Vizio but I do seem to recall them not being bad for the money.
    What we really should be asking ourselves is why in a world that vastly moved from desktops to notebooks for traditional PCs, and a world where the traditional PC sale is dwindling are companies now seemingly making a lot more AIOs when that was previously just a stupid Apple thing? From a personal standpoint the iPad and iPhone have made want a desktop again, but one that doesn't have all the wires of a traditional setup.

The 27" Vizio is just shy of $1000. It's also only 1080p. I only saw a sealed box and didn't check the panel type, but I wouldn't expect IPS, PVA or similar.

I think the problem was that AIO adds to the cost over a box.
  • Reply 122 of 178

I wonder if you could make it a hackintosh... Then you would have an iMac with an ugly stand, maybe it could be called an iHPac.

• Reply 123 of 178

This is not the first time someone tried to copy the iMac. Remember when the Koreans did it blatantly and got sued?

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/Remember_That_iMac_Copy_Apple_Settles_With_iMac_Clone_Maker_Future_Power_Wi/

• Reply 124 of 178

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

This is not the first time someone tried to copy the iMac. Remember when the Koreans did it blatantly and got sued?

And eMachines' eOne, whose settlement drove them to be purchased by Gateway (purchased by Acer).

Apple needs to come down hard.

• Reply 125 of 178
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member

Quote:

Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Apple is allowed to copy braun but nobody is allowed to copy apple? That does not make sense.

This is the new "Apple wants to patent rounded rectangles", right?  Is there some kind of secret website that feeds Apple trolls their talking points, so they can all stay on the same page?  And does it have a big banner at the top of the page that says "NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES PEOPLE EXPLAIN HOW STUPID AND WRONG YOU ARE, JUST KEEP SAYING IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN"?

Because friend?  It's unbelievably tedious.

• Reply 126 of 178
    " [...] HP SpectreONE, an All-in-One unlike anything you’ve ever seen."

I'm sure glad I wasn't taking a drink when I read that... I would be cleaning off my screen right now. Wow.
  • Reply 127 of 178
    It is not just a question of Look & Feel. For ages, PC fans recognized "ok, a PC is ugly compared to a Mac, but it is open, you can easily plug whatever additional card you want".

They are going to capitulate on this point too ...
  • Reply 128 of 178
    It sucks to be Apple!

What I can't stand is how all the anti-American fAndroid geeks bah Apple instead of supporting an American company! These sick bastards pretend Apple is not the leader and the company that everybody tries to rip off!
    I also can't stand how these shameless tech companies have given up on innovating and creating their own stuff!!!

The absolute worse part yet is that the ripping-off of Apple technology and designs is so bad that HP is copying how Scamsung copie Apple!!!
    Yes I mean the rip-off company has people ripping off their business model!

HP acknowledged scamsungs success by ripping off Apple and three years later only getting a slap on the wrist! So of course HP will rip off Apple seeing as how Scamsung got away with it!

I mean if you are a SHIT company thy produces more SHIT, thn why not rip off Apple is you are guaranteed success knowing that 3 years from now AFTER you have received all the benefits you MIGHT face some consequences!!!!

F You meg bitchmen!!!!
  • Reply 129 of 178
    Indeed it is a AiO PC with a wireless keyboard and trackpad. But the PC is built into the stand, not the display housing. It even has some extension ports at the sides where you can reach them.

The keyboard has a similar, but more rounded off design (come on, it is some wedge with buttons on it anyways you turn it). The trackpad mimics the design of its own keyboard (but clearly, Apple opened the path for a stand-alone trackpad).

I think it is different enough from an iMac.

When I chose my iMac, I chose the most cost-efficient way to run OSX. A Mac Mini was too expensive (I did not have a Mac KB or mouse and only a 17" Display). Given the choice, I would always opt for the NOT-all-in-one-computer for exchangeablility of components vs. display. (I guess that's why you hardly see AiO Windows PCs)
  • Reply 130 of 178

Has Apple Really Ever Invented Anything? Anything? Anyone?

A friendly reminder:

Integrating things =/= Inventing

• Reply 131 of 178
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuAlfons View Post

I would always opt for the NOT-all-in-one-computer for exchangeablility of components vs. display. (I guess that's why you hardly see AiO Windows PCs)

Yep!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Desktop-Computers/All-in-One-Computers/

120 SKUs

• Reply 132 of 178
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Well, I'd like to have other pictures. These seem a bit too obvious in their targeting. Then again, if it really is a copy, Apple's going to sue HP. Sad thing for the company Steve Jobs worked his summer job in...

It's not that company any more, sad to say ... :-(

• Reply 133 of 178
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Apple is allowed to copy braun but nobody is allowed to copy apple? That does not make sense.

Over the past three months, I've noticed that the anti-Apple rhetoric has become increasingly desperate.

But, I think we've finally found the low point.

• Reply 134 of 178
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Thanks for providing extra exhibits for my evidence field. That's all I have to say on this matter for now.

So you want to ban me because I dared to disagree with you? Or because I dared to say that Apple have been making too many mistakes of late?  Oh how nice. 

Given your incredibly confrontational stance on pretty much everything, and how you routinely wind people up to provoke a response it's truly staggering that you were made a mod. Then again, AA has articles written by DED, a fanboy so extreme he would make Gruber blush.

• Reply 135 of 178
    What a stupid article, Apple fan boy you don't even know how imac looks, what its on the picture is a MONITOR not iMac also iMac has a couple of inches of ugly metal with a apple logo on it.
    You got to be smoking before you wrote this article, the way I look like is Apple copied a monitor design from Samsung and also from HP
  • Reply 136 of 178
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    addabox wrote: »
    This is the new "Apple wants to patent rounded rectangles", right?  Is there some kind of secret website that feeds Apple trolls their talking points, so they can all stay on the same page?  And does it have a big banner at the top of the page that says "NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES PEOPLE EXPLAIN HOW STUPID AND WRONG YOU ARE, JUST KEEP SAYING IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN"?

Yeah, they all share the same two or three talking points. And they have the nerve to say Apple fans all suffer from groupthink without bothering to look at themselves in the mirror.
  • Reply 138 of 178
    hzchzc Posts: 63member

Quote:

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

I don't know anything about Apple copying Braun, but I think many people miss the point. You can copy and improve on others' work at your heart's content... until you step on someone's I.P. At that point, the infringed company can then sue you. So, if Apple is going after H.P., then I would conclude that they have trade dress or some kind of patent on the iMac that H.P. has infringed upon and therefore have every right to sue for damages, according to the law. Am I missing something here?

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 139 of 178

Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

No, because Braun don't make computers, and Apple don't make electric razors.

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

majortom1981, last time I checked Braun never released computers or portable electronic devices. (cordless Razors don't count).

Originally Posted by PJWilkin View Post

I must have missed the products that Braun have in the computer industry ... I'm sure we'd all like to see their Laptop

When Apple produce an Apple Coffee Maker we can then say they may have copied braun

Originally Posted by crawdad62 View Post

You might have a point if Braun made computers.

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Braun made computers??

Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

Apple sells razors?

I enjoy a public flaying as much as the next person, and majortom1981's post is devoid of perspective, but at least read the entire thread before making the same point as half a dozen previous replies. Good heavens, this is like a reddit thread.

Originally Posted by mocseg View Post

Has Apple Really Ever Invented Anything? Anything? Anyone?

A friendly reminder: Integrating things =/= Inventing

Look at Apple's patent portfolio. It takes actual talent and a helluva lot of attention to detail to, say, develop a method of precision laser cutting hardened aluminum on a massive scale, while retaining profitability. Even when the majority of components are manufactured by other companies, Apple is known for having to invent new methods of treatment and assembly at such tight tolerances. Inventing is more than just making a new product category, like light bulbs.

See Pixar for a comparative study. Do you think they do all that shit in Blender? No, they invent new plugins and programs to roll their own fur, water, and other 3D sims.

• Reply 140 of 178

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

So you want to ban me because I dared to disagree with you?

Nope.

Or because I dared to say that Apple have been making too many mistakes of late?

Nope.

Given your incredibly confrontational stance on pretty much everything, and how you routinely wind people up to provoke a response it's truly staggering that you were made a mod.

That's nice for you.