Huge sales but no big surprises expected from Apple's 'iPhone 5'

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 64
    andysol wrote: »
    Where have we heard this before?  Oh ya... about being named the iPhone 5.

    Despite of his unjustified stubbornness I think he is right this time. If it was going to be called iPhone-5, "5" would have never appeared in the invitation. Besides it was a shadow of "5" with fading out effect.
  • Reply 42 of 64


    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

    Despite of his unjustified stubbornness I think he is right this time. If it was going to be called iPhone-5, "5" would have never appeared in the invitation. Besides it was a shadow of "5" with fading out effect.


     


    That's an interesting way to look at it, but I'm sure none of them will accept that as an acceptable logic. I do still think they're just poking fun at the whole thing, myself.

  • Reply 43 of 64
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member


    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post





    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

     image


     


    The idea, which you apparently don't know, is that the top and bottom bezels of the iPhone can be removed entirely, as can the Home Button. 



    I did not know that. Is that a service from iFixIt? Do you need a special screwdriver or what?


     


     




    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post



    It's really sad that you keep repeating this terrible idea despite having been proven wrong.


     


    Can I use that for my signature?

  • Reply 44 of 64
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,437member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    I have been thinking about this a bit since the new iPad was announced as "the new iPad" instead of the "iPad 3".


     


    Apple, obviously, made an overt effort to remove the generational number from the iPad... similar to the way Apple names other products -- it's an iMac 27" not an iMac 27" 2 (or 2012), and a MacBook Air...


     


    Why would they do that?  


     


    I can think of several reasons:



    • delink the device from a presumed [annual] release cycle


    • allow [more] configuration/bundling options within the device 


    • delink the device from major technology availability


    • allow intermediate upgrades


    • allow more flexibility in manufacturing, distribution and pricing


    • be more aggressive competitively


     


    You can probably think of a few other reasons.


     


    It will be interesting if the Wednesday announcement includes the "the new iPhone"  or the "iPhone 5" (6, or whatever).



     


    I actually think this is a big mistake from a marketing perspective.    If you don't know which version of a device you have, then you won't necessarily feel you need to upgrade.     It also makes things far more complicated from a purchasing, app purchasing and maintenance perspective.    If I don't really know which version of a device I have, then I don't know which apps will run on it.   If the device isn't clearly labeled and the physical design hasn't changed, then if I walk into a (non-Apple) retailer, how do I know whether they're selling me the latest model or not?     It also makes it harder to repair or upgrade it, although Apple is making that impossible anyway.     It makes everything confusing and confusion causes consumers to defer purchases.     


     


    All of the other factors you mention are still possible even with a proper clearly identifiable model number.   If they don't want sequential model numbers, they can append the year, like car manufacturers do, although they get silly also when they release 2013 cars in April of 2012.   


     


    Besides, what's the next iPad going to be called, "the new new iPad"?       And will the one after that be called, "The new new new iPad"?   This is silliness.   

  • Reply 45 of 64

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post



    Hating the Helvetica Neue Light as the article font. Feel like I can't read a damn thing without going back over it six times.


     


    If you got a mac, press command + shift + "+" 


    Repeat as needed.

  • Reply 46 of 64


    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

    I did not know that. Is that a service from iFixIt? Do you need a special screwdriver or what?


     


    I don't get what you're trying to say.


     




    Can I use that for my signature?




     


    Only if the phone's actually called "iPhone 5". And then I'll be using it for MINE, with some modification.

  • Reply 47 of 64

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    It may be my imagination but it seems to me that forum rumours are increasingly spilling into mainstream news. 



     


    Apple gets more free mention then the bad boys on Wall Street. The mystic of Apple is more compelling than Gaga can drum up. We all know that Mitt and Barack both carry an iPad. Any more, if a hollywood star wants extra mention, they need to be seen carrying an iDevice.

  • Reply 48 of 64

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post



    Sadly, I will not be joining the iPhone 5 party. I'm giving the Windows 8 / Windows Phone 8 ecosystem a try for the next 24 months. Everything including my email and cloud services are going to be owned by Microsoft. Should be an interesting experiment...


    Why would you "Zune" yourself??? 


     


    Do this, it's less painful: Dry shave your balls with a straight razor.

  • Reply 49 of 64

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post




    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post



    Sadly, I will not be joining the iPhone 5 party. I'm giving the Windows 8 / Windows Phone 8 ecosystem a try for the next 24 months. Everything including my email and cloud services are going to be owned by Microsoft. Should be an interesting experiment...


    Why would you "Zune" yourself??? 


     


    Do this, it's less painful: Dry shave your balls with a straight razor.



     


    Ha!  Like the classic way to get rid of crabs....   Shave 1/2 your genital hair, light the other 1/2 on fire -- and stab the little buggers with an ice pick when they flee the fire!

  • Reply 50 of 64
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post


     


    I actually think this is a big mistake from a marketing perspective.    If you don't know which version of a device you have, then you won't necessarily feel you need to upgrade.     It also makes things far more complicated from a purchasing, app purchasing and maintenance perspective.    If I don't really know which version of a device I have, then I don't know which apps will run on it.   If the device isn't clearly labeled and the physical design hasn't changed, then if I walk into a (non-Apple) retailer, how do I know whether they're selling me the latest model or not?     It also makes it harder to repair or upgrade it, although Apple is making that impossible anyway.     It makes everything confusing and confusion causes consumers to defer purchases.     


     


    All of the other factors you mention are still possible even with a proper clearly identifiable model number.   If they don't want sequential model numbers, they can append the year, like car manufacturers do, although they get silly also when they release 2013 cars in April of 2012.   


     


    Besides, what's the next iPad going to be called, "the new new iPad"?       And will the one after that be called, "The new new new iPad"?   This is silliness.   



     


    The next iPad will be called "iPad" like the current one is.  The next iPod nano (if there is a next one) will probably be called "iPod nano."  It will be referred to on the support site as "iPod nano (2012)."  Like it or not, that's the Apple way.  At least is has been during the SJ era.  The iPhone naming has been the exception.  We'll find out in two days if that exception is retained ("iPhone 5"--or "iPhone 6" as someone has been insisting on for a year now) or eliminated ("Today we introduce the new iPhone.").  This is pretty close to how the car companies do it.  The model year of my car isn't engraved anywhere prominently; I'd have to check the owner's manual to find out what year it is.

  • Reply 51 of 64


    Originally Posted by malax View Post

    …"iPhone 6" as someone has been insisting on for a year now…


     


    Who? I've not said it for six months. 

  • Reply 52 of 64
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,282member
    Are we still having the 5 debate. Chortle.
  • Reply 53 of 64

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post



    Are we still having the 5 debate. Chortle.


    Whatever it gets named officially, it will be colloquially known as the iPhone 5. Otherwise you'll be telling your friends that you've just upgraded to an iPhone (late 2012).


    <Typing on my MacBook Pro 5,3>

  • Reply 54 of 64

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post




    Well, if we appreciate Apple it's also for their attention to detail. Even if you don't agree with him, saying that you don't care about the back is hardly an argument here. Someone else could argue that they don't care what their phone looks like at all, to each its own.



     


    True, to each his own.  For instance, if the leaked designs are indeed true, I don't get why they could not have made the screen wider.  Everyone talking about it would be horrible for one-handed use and all, very few people I know use the phone with one-hand unless holding up to the ear.  With bluetooth headsets and voice recognition, I would gladly sacrifice one-handed operation for more real-estate (both height and width).  

  • Reply 55 of 64
    waverunnr wrote: »
    Sadly, I will not be joining the iPhone 5 party. I'm giving the Windows 8 / Windows Phone 8 ecosystem a try for the next 24 months. Everything including my email and cloud services are going to be owned by Microsoft. Should be an interesting experiment...

    Why "sadly"? Seems to be your decision. If you are expecting such bitter disappointment, don't do it..?
  • Reply 57 of 64
    "Sadly" because I've had every iPhone since the original. I'm not expecting disappointment at all, just acknowledging that change is difficult, even when it's change for the better.

     

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post



    Why "sadly"? Seems to be your decision. If you are expecting such bitter disappointment, don't do it..?
  • Reply 58 of 64


    Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

    "Sadly" because I've had every iPhone since the original. I'm not expecting disappointment at all, just acknowledging that change is difficult, even when it's change for the better.


     


    That still doesn't explain why you'd move from good to completely unusable.

  • Reply 59 of 64
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member


    The announcement graphic appears to hint at (by actually displaying a "5" as the shadow) it being an iPhone "5", I too was leaning the other way... though I do see the issue when they keep legacy models going, the 4 and 4s etc.

  • Reply 60 of 64

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Berp View Post





    I'm with you on this. I'm flabbergasted at Leonardo not having one-upped himself in over half a millennium on La Gioconda, and Sir Jonathan...in over seven hundred and sixty days on the iPhone. Those are big numbers...! ...shame on you artists and creators, ...for not wanting to give we, the eyes of the beholder, the time of day...!


     It looks like an iMac.



    I have been absolutely surprised that no one has keyed to this.



    The full laminate screen to the holes on the bottom.



    It is a tying together of Apple's mass consumer products so it is iconic of the entire Mac eco-system.



    The new iPhone five is supposed to denote an iMac in your hand.



    Wow.....just.....WOW......

Sign In or Register to comment.