New iPod touch expected to have 1136x640 display, 32nm A5 chip

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple is reportedly prepared to launch a new iPod touch with a 1,136-by-640-pixel display running an S5L8942X processor that will be less powerful than the S5L8950X CPU in the next iPhone.

The details were published on Tuesday by Will Strafach, otherwise known as "Chronic." He revealed that the new iPod, identified in software as "iPod5,1," is known internally at Apple by its code name "N78AP."

In July, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo with KGI Securities said he expected the new iPod touch to feature components from existing iOS products, such as the A5 processor currently found in the iPhone 4S. The S5L8942X code name aligns with the updated 32-nanometer A5 chip found in the currently available iPad 2 as well as the Apple TV.

Left: 45nm A5 Right: 32nm A5 | Source: Chipworks

The smaller iPad 2 A5 CPU, which debuted in March, was viewed as a test by Apple in utilizing Samsung's 32-nanometer chipmaking process. Hardware testing done after the release of the revised iPad 2 found that the more efficient chip improved battery life by as much as 16 percent.

The 32-nanometer A5 chip in the Apple TV is slightly different from the one found in the iPad 2. It has one core disabled, allowing it to run without a thermal pad even as it outputs high-definition 1080p video.

The details suggest that the new iPod touch will feature a new system-on-a-chip that is slower than the processor that is rumored to appear in Apple's so-called "iPhone 5." Some reports have claimed the next iPhone will feature a new chip branded as the "A6."

Chronic also posted on Twitter, but quickly deleted from his account, claims that the new iPhone 5 and iPod touch will both include built-in support for panorama photos. He since indicated that he removed the information because he was under the impression it was already publicly known.

The updated iPod touch and the new iPhone are both expected to be redesigned with a new, taller 4-inch Retina display. They are just two of a number of new products Apple is expected to launch this fall, including a smaller iPad with a 7.85-inch display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36

"It has one core disabled, ..." oh no ! not again the discussion about Apple misleading the consumer with inappropriate product specifications .....

• Reply 2 of 36

I see the iPod touch as an important part of the Apple lineup. I see it mostly used by kids in the lower grades before they get a phone. By becoming familiar with Apple products, it may make them more likely to buy a phone or other device from Apple, especially if they have a decent amount invested in the iTunes ecosystem.

• Reply 3 of 36
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Chronic also posted on Twitter, but quickly deleted from his account, claims that the new iPhone 5 and iPod touch will both include built-in support for panorama photos. He since indicated that he removed the information because he was under the impression it was already publicly known.

Cool Panoramic Photos. I wonder how that works. 

• Reply 4 of 36

Wouldn't that be funny.  An iPod Touch with an A6 chip.  We will probably never see an iPod Touch with an A6 quad core chip.

• Reply 5 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Cool Panoramic Photos. I wonder how that works. 

You look at pictures while listening to The Cars "Panorama" album :)

• Reply 6 of 36
    I WAS RIGHT!!! I saw the front plate somewhere.. haha. Yes. The iPad 32 nm processing makes it last 30% longer. This is going to the best iPod Touch Apple has ever made...

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/12023/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 7 of 36
    I'm not doubting the information, but it just goes to show you that we'll believe anything, when the name of our trusted source is "Chronic"...

Also would like to know if he gets his information from Bluntman.
  • Reply 8 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

We will probably never see an iPod Touch with an A6 quad core chip.

Why?

• Reply 9 of 36
    Why spend $200 on an iPod touch, when you could get the fabled iPad mini for $250? If you really need a small media player, get the nano.
  • Reply 10 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Why spend $200 on an iPod touch, when you could get the fabled iPad mini for $250? If you really need a small media player, get the nano.

Because I need a small iOS device that happens to be a media player.  That is the iPod touch.

• Reply 11 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by nealg View Post

I see the iPod touch as an important part of the Apple lineup. I see it mostly used by kids in the lower grades before they get a phone. By becoming familiar with Apple products, it may make them more likely to buy a phone or other device from Apple, especially if they have a decent amount invested in the iTunes ecosystem.

iPad Nano.  Take anywhere iPad.

• Reply 12 of 36

iPod Touch is the ultimate universal remote and home control center.  I love my gen1 iPod touch today and all I use it for is a remote to control electronics.  Oh, and on long trips for music when I don't want to burn through battery on an iPhone or iPad.

• Reply 13 of 36

What I always liked in particular about AI were the mockups more and less shortly before a keynote. But that's a long time ago ... now I have to find mockups on a normal newspaper webpage! It seems AI did it so far, no reading newspaper is more fun to see this kind of stuff.

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/digital/geruechte-um-apple-smartphone-das-ist-das-neue-iphone-oder-nicht-1.1460362

• Reply 14 of 36

I would love to see bigger screens on iPod as well. It's a nice portable media center, but small screen was a long time drawback I felt on it. It is good to have multiple screen options.

• Reply 15 of 36

Quote:

I doubt if we can get iPad mini for 250$. I am more tending towards expecting one for $349 or at least 299$.

• Reply 16 of 36
    The question is, why buy the Touch instead of the rumoured Mini. Simple. The Touch is pocketable and the Mini, if it will even be released, not so much.

For situations in which pocketability is not important, I will do what I am already doing, namely use the iPad 2. When I want something I can easily slip into my pocket, the Touch.

The Rumoured Mini? A compromise all around. No thanks.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Of course it will be less powerful. Apple doesn't care about the iPod touch. They haven't upgraded it in 2 years and when it was new it still had insufficient everything.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Of course it will be less powerful. Apple doesn't care about the iPod touch. They haven't upgraded it in 2 years and when it was new it still had insufficient everything.

According to whom?  You?  Didn't realize you set the industry's direction.  Why Apple hasn't hired you just boggles the imagination.

iPod Touch is a fantastic device that does pretty much everything an iPhone does, just without the phone and phone plan.  I will most likely buy the new one simply to use in the house as an iDevice controller and as a portable media player for my car.

• Reply 19 of 36

Quote:

Either the Touch will cost less than $200 or the Mini will cost more than $250. Or the Touch might come with 32GB of memory standard while the Mini gets 8GB? That would explain the close pricing.

• Reply 20 of 36

Why spend $200 on an iPod touch, when you could get the fabled iPad mini for $250?

One exists, the other doesn't. That's the big one. One fits in your pocket, the other doesn't.

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

According to whom?  You?

Apple has always had lesser specs on the iPod touch. The first gen even initially ran at 400Mhz while the matching iPhone was 412.