Apple's 'iPhone 5' expected to hurt PC makers, existing LTE phones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetsReason View Post

The iPhone iterations to date are too small.  That is why you will see Apple increasing the screen real estate now.  Apple lead us into the multi-touch smartphone world.  Now they are catching up.

Yes, that explains why the iPhone has been such a dismal failure to date. I don't know why I didn't see that.

It undermines your (baseless) contention more than a bit that it's hard to be playing catchup when the competition is copying you.

• Reply 22 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

But that issue aside, I think it's interesting to note the massive difference between the U.S. and the rest of the world. The iPhone is the dominant smartphone in the US by far,....

I do believe it is clear that Android phones outnumber Apple phones in the US.  Maybe you could point to some current numbers online that provide evidence to the contrary.

• Reply 23 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yes, that explains why the iPhone has been such a dismal failure to date. I don't know why I didn't see that.

It undermines your (baseless) contention more than a bit that it's hard to be playing catchup when the competition is copying you.

Baseless?  Watch.  12 <--- it is coming.  Now that Mr. Jobs is out of the picture...watch the "immaculate" iPhone adapt to copy others.  Please come back with the new measurements when you get your new 4+ inch iPhone.

• Reply 24 of 117
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

But I think another big difference between the US and the rest of the world is that Apple's ecosystem is much better developed in the US. First, Apple's penetration of retail stores in the US is far higher than anywhere else in the world. This in and of itself is huge. Second, iCloud / iTunes / App Store development is best in the US. 

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

I believe you're wrong on this point with respect to the United Kingdom, it is just as developed here.

There are 34 Apple Stores in the UK.

Additionally every mobile phone shop offers the iPhone and frequently the iPad, most sizeable supermarkets department stores and electronic/electrical chain shops have Apple products, be they iPhones, iPads, iPods or Macs.

The same services are available via iTunes, iCloud and App Store as in the US.

Besides, the internet makes where you physically develop an app in the world irrelevant, unless you wish to speak with developers face to face.

The only thing the UK lacks in the Apple ecosystem are one or two functions relating to Siri.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 25 of 117

Bar none, the dumbest and worst explained AI article I've read thus far.

Quote:

Some of the biggest losers out of the new iPhone launch will be competing smartphone makers who have existing 4G LTE handsets on the market. Moskowitz expects that Apple's so-called "iPhone 5" will offer better battery performance in a smaller form factor that will further label competing devices as battery and pocket "hogs."

I've heard the argument that many competing phones are simply too big or too bulky to be comfortable. I completely agree, if you don't often carry a purse, or pants with large pockets, carting around a 5"+ phone is just inconvenient. However, the phone is that large due to screen size, not LTE capability. A larger battery certainly helps when using LTE as opposed to other communication standards, but saying the phone is big because of LTE completely misses the point. Furthermore, saying that the iPhone 5 will do better than the competition because they've brought LTE in a smaller form factor completely ignores the actual reasons why they've tried to keep the form factor small.

Quote:

But the debut of turn-by-turn navigation in Apple's new Maps application for iOS 6 is forecast to have a negative effect on existing GPS service providers TeleNav, TeleCommunication Systems, and Garmin.

In other news, scientists have new evidence that water may have a "wetting" effect on other materials it comes in contact with.

Quote:

As for wireless carriers, Moskowitz expects upgrades to increase, which will have a negative effect on their margins. But in the longer term, the iPhone 5 is expected to accelerate the upgrade cycle to 4G LTE, particularly in the U.S. where the market is dominated by slower 3G phones.

The market is dominated by slower 3G phones? This might be possible, if the article bothered explaining what it meant by 3G. HSPA, the technology that iPhones since the iPhone 3G used has been slowly improving over time, its theoretical peak speed is still above what LTE achieves today, and as such many carriers have just relegated to calling it 4G anyways. Despite this, there are still PLENTY of LTE phones in the United States, and all flagship android phones for the past year have been LTE based. The upgrade cycle is not going to be affected by the iPhone 5, its going to be affected by LTE coverage, once your phone leaves LTE coverage area, it switches back to HSPA, and if that fails, to GPRS, etc.  This statement is flat out wrong, since the area where the iPhone 5 might make the biggest effect is OUTSIDE the US (and north america in general), where LTE networks are just beginning to sprout.  Having a wide user base ready to take advantage of LTE makes the decision for carriers to build LTE infrastructure more appetizing.

Quote:

As for Europe, the impact of 4G LTE is "unclear," Moskowitz said, as it is unknown whether the device will support European LTE frequencies. Regardless, he does not believe the new iPhone will be as disruptive with respect to 4G LTE in Europe.

Refer to point above. Its like saying that the new Northface winter jacket design will not be disruptive to the Jamaican clothing industry.

Quote:

On Monday, J.P. Morgan said massive sales of Apple's next iPhone could boost the U.S. gross domestic product.

Unfortunately this means absolutely nothing in terms of benefits to the average American citizen. Since the vast majority is outsourced, whatever trickle-down effect that does occur will benefit populations outside the United States.

Completely irrelevant, useless, uninformative, and misleading article. If it wasn't for the colorful personalities on these forums, I wouldn't still be here.

• Reply 26 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

But most of them still don't want to haul around a small tablet in their pockets or purse.

"Bigger is better" is just a testosterone fueled misconception that even most men grow out of. Not all, but most.

Some people like bigger screens. Not an insult to those that prefer smaller screens, just a reality. I'm sure that I enjoy my eggs cooked differently from yours, that doesn't necessitate that one of us is wrong.

• Reply 27 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

This pretty much sums up how I feel image

http://tech.lifegoesstrong.com/article/apple-iphone-5-ready-disappointment

Interesting article.  It's quite right in many respects.  Apple has such a following and they know pretty much whatever phone they put out will still by the millions.. they don't need to outdo themselves... sadly. 

I wish this phone would have been out a year ago.  If history repeats itself, we'll see this one tomorrow, and in about a year we'll get the "S" version that is slightly beefed up... and won't see anything really "new" from apple in the way of a new phone for another 24 months.

• Reply 28 of 117

Obviously. Anything to do with Apple will impact the industry substantially. It's Apple. The industry *needs* Apple. It's shaped and directed by this one "fruit" company from Cupertino. 

No one gave a damn about that MS/Nokia conference or whatever. Did anyone really notice? But everyone, their dog, and the industry at large has tomorrow's date circled in bright red. 

• Reply 29 of 117

If this isn't proof that you should be banned immediately, there is no reason not to rename this place TrollInsider.

What?

There's is nothing the least bit 'in violation of forum rules' presented anywhere in my post(s), and your not agreeing with it doesn't make it so, and only serves to further demonstrate your rampant disregard for all that actually makes for a suitable/fair forum moderator.

As I previously stated, "Nice to (finally) see an iPhone update, but that's really ALL it is".
  • Reply 30 of 117

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

There's is nothing the least bit 'in violation of forum rules' presented anywhere in my post…

I never said there was.

• Reply 31 of 117

Quote:

Oh Please... It's just another smartphone announcement - Nothing More/Nothing Less.

... and given Apple's rather slow adoption of many of the latest mobile technologies (e.g. LTE, NFC, larger displays, etc) the 'new ' iPhone will largely just be playing catch-up anyway.

Nice to (finally) see an iPhone update, but that's really ALL it is.

Can't say I agree, this isn't the only analyst that expects record breaking iPhone sales.  I'm pretty sure they're not basing their projections on "gee whiz, people want a new phone."

My point being, this iPhone will have many features that will set it apart from all other iPhones, except for maybe the first.  Besides, Apple isn't always the "first to market" on mobile technologies, but when they implement them, it works better and easier (usually).  And I say that as someone who's owned Android and Apple phones.  And BB, too.

• Reply 32 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Obviously. Anything to do with Apple will impact the industry substantially. It's Apple. The industry *needs* Apple. It's shaped and directed by this one "fruit" company from Cupertino. 

No one gave a damn about that MS/Nokia conference or whatever. Did anyone really notice? But everyone, their dog, and the industry at large has tomorrow's date circled in bright red. 

o.O...

Don't get me wrong, I really like Apple. They definitely have huge influence in dictating where the computer and electronic industries will go, but if they just up and disappear one day, someone else will take the reins. Life goes on.

As for the "MS/Nokia conference or whatever", it just wasn't talked about on this site, since this site is Apple-centric. Every other technology website covered it in large detail. 

Learn about other products as well, that way you can qualify reasons why you think Apple products are superior rather than using hyperbolies and generalizations. You might even find that Apple, like every other company, is not without its flaws.

• Reply 33 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The screen size issue really needs to be a careful balance because if the screen gets up in the 4.5" range then it really doesn't fit in the pocket very well. I see a lot of Android phones in belt holster configurations. I have never tried one but it seems like that would be a conflict with auto seat belts.

First of all, the new iPhone due to its longer case will not fit a shirt pocket (though my current iPhone-4 fits just right).

Second, the existing iPhone-4(S) had enough real estate for a 4.5" display.

• Reply 34 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

First of all, the new iPhone due to its longer case will not fit a shirt pocket (though my current iPhone-4 fits just right).

Second, the existing iPhone-4(S) had enough real estate for a 4.5" display.

assuming there is nothing BUT screen. My old 3Gs is a few millimeters shy of  fitting INTO the screen of my Galaxy S3.

This would mean getting rid of the home button, ear-speaker, and front facing camera, something I don't see Apple doing any time soon.

• Reply 35 of 117
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

What?

There's is nothing the least bit 'in violation of forum rules' presented anywhere in my post(s), and your not agreeing with it doesn't make it so, and only serves to further demonstrate your rampant disregard for all that actually makes for a suitable/fair forum moderator.

As I previously stated, "Nice to (finally) see an iPhone update, but that's really ALL it is".

You don't need to violate the rules to be a trollish bore... and be banned.

• Reply 36 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post

assuming there is nothing BUT screen. My old 3Gs is a few millimeters shy of  fitting INTO the screen of my Galaxy S3.

This would mean getting rid of the home button, ear-speaker, and front facing camera, something I don't see Apple doing any time soon.

Wrong. 4.5" assumes edge-to-edge screen horizontally (in portrait orientation) and rounded section to rounded section vertically in the existing iPhone-4(S).

I banned myself from commenting on the Home button on this forum, but there is plenty of space for speakers and cameras. (Just look at the back panel of the iPhone-5 photos to get the idea)

• Reply 37 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by davida View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioinside View Post

"The new iPhone is projected to mark one of the few secular growth stories"

Please check your dictionary before flaming the editors.

Well, I did, and while the term "secular" might be applied to an event defining a century or an age, it still doesn't seem applicable,

for an event described as *maybe* defining the second half of the current year...

• Reply 38 of 117
    Excuse me, how the hell did he conclude that the iPhone 5 could hurt pc sales? Talk about hype!
    Another market manipulator.
  • Reply 39 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post

I've heard the argument that many competing phones are simply too big or too bulky to be comfortable. I completely agree, if you don't often carry a purse, or pants with large pockets, carting around a 5"+ phone is just inconvenient. However, the phone is that large due to screen size, not LTE capability. A larger battery certainly helps when using LTE as opposed to other communication standards, but saying the phone is big because of LTE completely misses the point.

But, that's why these Android phones are big. They need a large battery to get through the day with LTE, that requires a larger case, and the screen is big to distract from the fact that they had to put a giant battery in a giant case to make the battery last longer than 3 hours.

Again, this is the only reason Android phones all started getting supersized when they started adding LTE to them.

• Reply 40 of 117
    I simply don't follow why iPhone 5 would impact PC sales. Different market, different set of buyers, different functionality. From recent reports, some super iPad could certainly alter PC buying habits, but not an iPhone 5.

Smartphones in general are already affecting PC sales.. It's about consumers and IT departments purchasing new smartphones ( and tablets ) and postponing upgrades of their " good enough" PCs. Many consumers and companies can "make do" with their current XP or Windows 7 computers, so they use their budgets to buy smartphones.

Many smartphones are being used to do work that traditionally needed a PC. Consumers and companies can still use their current PCs to do the limited tasks the require Windows and Office.

The smartphones are evolving at an incredible rate, adding new features and whole new ways to accomplish tasks. They are the cliche, "computer in your pocket."

Who needs a new 3GHZ PC to run Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel? Consumers and IT departments are putting their money towards smartphones and tablets, increasing their efficiency for many ( though not all ) tasks. They are not ditching their PCs, they just don't feel the need to upgrade them ( they're "good enough" ) as often as smartphones.

Anecdotal:

I've dealt with two companies that used Windows NT 4 up until the end of 2011, bc it was good enough for their closed networks. They only upgraded bc sourcing replacement RAM and hard drives was becoming a PIA.

I have two friends who work for major Pharmaceutical companies that finally switched to Windows 7 in 2012. They won't upgrade again for at least 4 years, Windows 9 or 10. Instead, they upgrade smartphones every 2 years and have given all of their field reps iPads with custom apps.

Another friend owns his own company with 25 employees running customized $100,000 trading software. Everyone has a workstation with 2-3 monitors. Instead of buying everyone laptops or upgrading "good enough" workstations, he bought everyone iPad 2s and paid $7,000 for proprietary iOS software that integrates with their bigger system.

It's all about creating more efficiency, many times upgrading PCs won't create any new efficient ways to get work done. Therefore smartphons and tablet purchases are postponing current or future PC upgrades.