Apple's 'iPhone 5' expected to hurt PC makers, existing LTE phones

Comments

• Reply 41 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

It's interesting to think about this in the context of the story from yesterday in which somebody said the iPhone 5 will add to growth. If the iPhone 5 just shifts demand from those other companies to Apple, then the net effect on growth could be very small.

This is a nice lesson in macro-economics and aggregate demand.

On the other hand, if we're measuring quality-adjusted growth.......... ;-)

• Reply 42 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Oh Please... It's just another smartphone announcement - Nothing More/Nothing Less.

... and given Apple's rather slow adoption of many of the latest mobile technologies (e.g. LTE, NFC, larger displays, etc) the 'new ' iPhone will largely just be playing catch-up anyway.

Nice to (finally) see an iPhone update, but that's really ALL it is.

Ugh. You're still around?! I had thought that you people had slunk away whimpering with your tail between your legs after your employer got thrashed in the recent court ruling....

Oh well. One can always hope.

• Reply 43 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacepower View Post

Smartphones in general are already affecting PC sales.. It's about consumers and IT departments purchasing new smartphones ( and tablets ) and postponing upgrades of their " good enough" PCs. Many consumers and companies can "make do" with their current XP or Windows 7 computers, so they use their budgets to buy smartphones.

Many smartphones are being used to do work that traditionally needed a PC. Consumers and companies can still use their current PCs to do the limited tasks the require Windows and Office.

The smartphones are evolving at an incredible rate, adding new features and whole new ways to accomplish tasks. They are the cliche, "computer in your pocket."

Who needs a new 3GHZ PC to run Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel? Consumers and IT departments are putting their money towards smartphones and tablets, increasing their efficiency for many ( though not all ) tasks. They are not ditching their PCs, they just don't feel the need to upgrade them ( they're "good enough" ) as often as smartphones.

Anecdotal:

I've dealt with two companies that used Windows NT 4 up until the end of 2011, bc it was good enough for their closed networks. They only upgraded bc sourcing replacement RAM and hard drives was becoming a PIA.

I have two friends who work for major Pharmaceutical companies that finally switched to Windows 7 in 2012. They won't upgrade again for at least 4 years, Windows 9 or 10. Instead, they upgrade smartphones every 2 years and have given all of their field reps iPads with custom apps.

Another friend owns his own company with 25 employees running customized $100,000 trading software. Everyone has a workstation with 2-3 monitors. Instead of buying everyone laptops or upgrading "good enough" workstations, he bought everyone iPad 2s and paid $7,000 for proprietary iOS software that integrates with their bigger system.

It's all about creating more efficiency, many times upgrading PCs won't create any new efficient ways to get work done. Therefore smartphons and tablet purchases are postponing current or future PC upgrades.

Well said.  My biggest gripe so far with the iPhone 5 specs is the resolution.  They are going against what they did for developers to make development easier, which is resolutions that scaled 1-to-1.  The older devices are 320x480.  The Retina is 640x960 (2x).  But now, we have what seems to be 640x1136, which means developers have to create multiple graphics to make up for that extra bit of pixels.  It may sound trivial, but it adds more development time and costs.  This is the type of fragmentation that has haunted the Android world.  Obviously it's still not as bad as Android, but sucks none the less.

• Reply 44 of 117
    I don't get why PC makers would be hurt by an iPhone.
  • Reply 45 of 117
    All those comments and articles from JP Morgan are just to push the Apple stocks.
    There are nothing explaining why, they just make an "analysis report" to looking for move the stocks.
  • Reply 46 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

But, that's why these Android phones are big. They need a large battery to get through the day with LTE, that requires a larger case, and the screen is big to distract from the fact that they had to put a giant battery in a giant case to make the battery last longer than 3 hours.

Again, this is the only reason Android phones all started getting supersized when they started adding LTE to them.

If I follow your point correctly, you are suggesting that the only reason many phones have bigger screens today is because a bigger screen was required to accomodate a bigger battery needed for LTE?

As a consequence, this would mean that consumer demand for a bigger screen doesn't actually exist.

I switched to the Galaxy S3 because of the bigger screen, not because of the LTE.  LTE actually makes very little difference to tell you the truth, reception is finicky for the time being, and often switches back to HSPA anyways. You might say that that's just me, and that I am not representative of the average consumer, but your average consumer has no idea what LTE, HSPA, GPRS or any of the rest of the telecommunications alphabet soup means. What people can appreciate with no computer background is a bigger screen.

I can even flat out prove you wrong, the original galaxy note had no LTE, and was enormous for the time. Hell, the Galaxy S2 didn't originally have LTE, it was added as a feature in later variants of it. The argument that screen sizes went up as a consequence of needing a bigger battery for LTE is completely unfounded. Not to mention, the gigantic screen on these phones suck up more battery than an LTE connection.... so expanding the screen size to provide extra battery for another function is akin to losing weight by eating faster.

• Reply 47 of 117
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The iPhone always takes IT dollars away from the PC industry. People are far more likely to upgrade their iPhone than their PC each year, and its not a whole lot cheaper than buying a PC.

Also consider that this time around, being less than a year from the last iPhone launch, no iPhone 4S owner is eligible for an upgrade, so for a least the first month of sales, anyone upgrading will be paying twice the price of a normal iPhone purchase.

No.  Anyone upgrading from an iPhone 4s won't get the upgrade price, but why is there this insane assumption that everyone upgrades every time a new model comes out.   I'm still using a 3gs phone.  I do plan to upgrade and I will (obviously) get the upgrade price.  

I have mixed feelings whether it really takes IT dollars away from the PC industry.   I don't think most consumers create budget buckets for types of purchases.   If they have the money or are willing to buy it on credit, they buy what they want when they want it.     While there are certainly many computer-based activities that you can do on the phone, most people still feel the need for a computer in both the home and office.   Either that computer needs to be upgraded or it doesn't.    I have a four-year-old MBP that doesn't need to be replaced.    If I  had a four-year-old PC, it might need to be replaced.    I think the bigger issue in the PC industry is that there haven't been big technology improvements that would push people to upgrade.     A Dell or HP machine today doesn't look or act much different than one from a few years ago. 

I think one could make a stronger case that the iPad takes dollars away from the  PC industry.   For those who use their computer mostly as a media and web access device, the iPad is more than sufficient.

• Reply 48 of 117
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post

assuming there is nothing BUT screen. My old 3Gs is a few millimeters shy of  fitting INTO the screen of my Galaxy S3.

This would mean getting rid of the home button, ear-speaker, and front facing camera, something I don't see Apple doing any time soon.

Wrong. 4.5" assumes edge-to-edge screen horizontally (in portrait orientation) and rounded section to rounded section vertically in the existing iPhone-4(S).

I banned myself from commenting on the Home button on this forum, but there is plenty of space for speakers and cameras. (Just look at the back panel of the iPhone-5 photos to get the idea)

Well to clarify what I meant was the large phones such as the current releases of high end Android smartphones (not including the Note which is almost a tablet) are decidedly too large to fit comfortably in a men's Levi's 501 front jeans pocket, which is is one of my standard attires. So I'm not talking about shirt pockets, or removing Home buttons and I really don't care what the exact dimensions are, just that Apple is being conservative by not to making the new iPhone too large to fit [Steve's] or my front pocket.

• Reply 49 of 117
    I love all the people running around saying that NFC is a big deal. All the latest and greatest Android and WinPhones (the few that are out there in the wild) have it...right? I have never seen one person ever pull out their phone and pay for something. This technology is not wide-spread enough to be a big deal. Maybe in more larger cities this exists (probably more or less on a trial-basis), but it's still not wide-spread enough for everyone to take advantage of. If Apple does in-fact forego NFC in the next iPhone...I highly doubt it's going to hurt them. I don't think anyone but Apple-hating tech enthusiasts who weren't going to get an iPhone in the first place are the only people this will affect...and it won't affect them at all. So who cares?

http://tech.lifegoesstrong.com/article/apple-iphone-5-ready-disappointment

To the person who wrote that article: Stop whining then and get an Android or WinPhone and STFU. Waaaa! I'm trapped cause I bought billions of dollars in music and movies. Well it seems you've known of the consequences of this for a while now so you're only whining cause you're an Apple-hating Apple user probably cause it gets you sympathy (and hits) from the Apple haters out there like the one guy who commented saying (paraphrase) "I knew it was a trap (cue Admiral Ackbar) and stayed away...the poor author of this article got trapped and now he's screwed."

Now he just continues to get Apple products cause he's locked in whether he likes it (he does) or not. Why? Cause he's an iSheeple. He got sucked in and like all iSheeple he will be in line getting an iPhone 5/New iPhone and will continue to pay millions more for music and movies cause...hey...he's already trapped...might as well live it up amirite!?

What a moron. Be the bigger person and simple break free from your supposed "oppression" and swallow the billions of dollars wasted on iTunes and just get your supposedly much more advanced Android/WinPhone. You'll supposedly be more happy that way. You can't do it...can you?
  • Reply 50 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Well to clarify what I meant was the large phones such as the current releases of high end Android smartphones (not including the Note which is almost a tablet) are decidedly too large to fit comfortably in a men's Levi's 501 front jeans pocket, which is is one of my standard attires. So I'm not talking about shirt pockets, or removing Home buttons and I really don't care what the exact dimensions are, just that Apple is being conservative by not to making the new iPhone too large to fit [Steve's] or my front pocket.

I don't remember where I read this, so take it with a grain of salt, but I remember reading that 3.5" was an ideal length because you could reach any point on the screen using only one hand.  Thus raising screen size while keeping the same form factor would not solve this issue.

• Reply 51 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post

If I follow your point correctly, you are suggesting that the only reason many phones have bigger screens today is because a bigger screen was required to accomodate a bigger battery needed for LTE?

Well, no, battery life was a problem on Android phones before LTE, and getting bigger was how they solved the problem. With LTE, though, many of them needed to get even bigger.

But, otherwise, yes, and ignoring your meaningless anecdotal tale, Android phones got big only because they needed big batteries.

• Reply 52 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

i am excited for the new iPhone. I will purchase 4 (mine, wife, daughter,mom-in-law) as soon as they are released.

If I marry your daughter, will you buy me one too??

• Reply 53 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, no, battery life was a problem on Android phones before LTE, and getting bigger was how they solved the problem. With LTE, though, many of them needed to get even bigger.

But, otherwise, yes, and ignoring your meaningless anecdotal tale, Android phones got big only because they needed big batteries.

Unfortunately it seems being polite and respectful towards you ends in you responding in a childish way. I've never thought myself above anyone, so here goes. 

CHOO CHOO, logic train, last stop, you.

Bigger screen = needs more battery

Therefore, raising screensize != a way of increasing battery life

Therefore, getting big because they needed to increase battery life is a dumb argument.

A much more REASONABLE argument is that some people genuinely like bigger screens. YOU may not be one of those people, and thats ok, we accept you for who you are, the awesome person your friends probably like.

• Reply 54 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except you have absolutely no reason for that.

If this isn't proof that you should be banned immediately, there is no reason not to rename this place TrollInsider.

The only troll here is you and that's a shame because you weren't always that way.  If it is not glowing praise of everything Apple you try to use your moderator position to bully people out of here.  You've lost all objectivity and discourage any critical discussion which has made this forum increasingly banal. Being critical is how you improve things.  Saying everything is great is how you ensure you are passed up by your competition.  You think Steve Jobs went around saying every product they came up with was perfect?

Many people I've spoken with are not excited about the idea that Apple is merely stretching the 4S.  We wanted a larger screen in all dimensions and a slick design. Stretching it is about the most boring thing they could have come up with. Hopefuly the rumors are wrong and we'll get what we want.  

• Reply 55 of 117
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Some of the biggest losers out of the new iPhone launch will be competing smartphone makers who have existing 4G LTE handsets on the market. Moskowitz expects that Apple's so-called "iPhone 5" will offer better battery performance in a smaller form factor that will further label competing devices as battery and pocket "hogs."

Are the current LTE phones constrained by the LTE chips or the size of the screens? Looking through sites like iFixit, it's definitely the size of the screens. Other manufacturers have chosen to make larger phones to differentiate, not because of the modem inside the phone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As for Europe, the impact of 4G LTE is "unclear," Moskowitz said, as it is unknown whether the device will support European LTE frequencies. Regardless, he does not believe the new iPhone will be as disruptive with respect to 4G LTE in Europe.

There's already devices on the market that supporting 10 LTE bands. It should be possible for the new iPhone to support European LTE frequencies.

Roll on tomorrow!

• Reply 56 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Let me make it clear. I will only use tiny words:

You have $500

You want new Dell

You want new iPhone

You buy iPhone

No money for Dell

Apple has happy face

Dell has sad face

Grok?

• Reply 57 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmelapple View Post

I don't think anyone but Apple-hating tech enthusiasts who weren't going to get an iPhone in the first place are the only people this will affect...and it won't affect them at all. So who cares?

http://tech.lifegoesstrong.com/article/apple-iphone-5-ready-disappointment

To the person who wrote that article: Stop whining then and get an Android or WinPhone and STFU. Waaaa! I'm trapped cause I bought billions of dollars in music and movies. Well it seems you've known of the consequences of this for a while now so you're only whining cause you're an Apple-hating Apple user probably cause it gets you sympathy (and hits) from the Apple haters out there like the one guy who commented saying (paraphrase) "I knew it was a trap (cue Admiral Ackbar) and stayed away...the poor author of this article got trapped and now he's screwed."

Now he just continues to get Apple products cause he's locked in whether he likes it (he does) or not. Why? Cause he's an iSheeple. He got sucked in and like all iSheeple he will be in line getting an iPhone 5/New iPhone and will continue to pay millions more for music and movies cause...hey...he's already trapped...might as well live it up amirite!?

What a moron. Be the bigger person and simple break free from your supposed "oppression" and swallow the billions of dollars wasted on iTunes and just get your supposedly much more advanced Android/WinPhone. You'll supposedly be more happy that way. You can't do it...can you?

Wow, just...wow.  This is what this place has become.

• Reply 58 of 117
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Let me make it clear. I will only use tiny words:

You have $500

You want new Dell

You want new iPhone

You buy iPhone

No money for Dell

Apple has happy face

Dell has sad face

Grok?

Ditto what he said.  Some people just don't the the fact that is is a finite amount of money people are going to spend on tech,  If I buy a new phone, no new computer this coming holiday season.

• Reply 59 of 117
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    chuckvader wrote: »
    Unfortunately it seems being polite and respectful towards you ends in you responding in a childish way. I've never thought myself above anyone, so here goes. 

CHOO CHOO, logic train, last stop, you.

Bigger screen = needs more battery

Therefore, raising screensize != a way of increasing battery life

Therefore, getting big because they needed to increase battery life is a dumb argument.

A much more REASONABLE argument is that some people genuinely like bigger screens. YOU may not be one of those people, and thats ok, we accept you for who you are, the awesome person your friends probably like.
    There is more than one logical reason for anything that is done. Larger screen size does require more battery life, however, it also provides a larger internal area for the phone to hold a battery that can hold a much larger charge than the increase in screen size will offset. Not saying he is right, but I am saying your logic analysis is flawed...
  • Reply 60 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

what a lame ass article. The iphone 4S was a excellent upgrade from the 4, and it outsold every shitty ass droid phone by a wide margin. The next iphone will again outsell all others, and it's former iterations as well. If you were disappointed that Apple didn't consult you directly to make sure that their phone would be just exactly what you wanted - then too bad.

i am excited for the new iPhone. I will purchase 4 (mine, wife, daughter,mom-in-law) as soon as they are released.

You sound completely rational and unbiased.  It's obvious you've put a lot of thought into this as it's your 5th post in 7+ years.  You have made me see the light.  Yes, I will buy 5 now!  Thank you!