Apple's 'iPhone 5' expected to hurt PC makers, existing LTE phones

Comments

• Reply 60 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Wow, just...wow.  This is what this place has become.

Really? The point is...if you were disappointed and feel you are going to be disappointed again...move on. Get whatever it is that makes you happy and stop making excuses like "It's a trap! Oh well, I'm stuck". Apple is going to do what Apple thinks is best for Apple. People will likely buy it whether you are disappointed or not. If you don't like it, that's fine...the competition has a wide range of phones that will probably suit you better. Meanwhile there are millions of people who love their iPhone and don't care about the Android/WinPhone spec-wars. 

Looking at your signature, you sure seem to love Apple products. Right? Well clearly they just aren't getting it right with the iPhone...so move on. Why sit around here and whine about something nobody here can control or change? You think you're going to be disappointed? Boohoo. Move on. Break the yoke of tyranny and oppression. Go out and get that 5" Galaxy Note or whatever hand-stretching phone you want. It's ok. Apple will still take your money on everything else. I promise.

• Reply 62 of 117
    chuckvader wrote: »
    I don't remember where I read this, so take it with a grain of salt, but I remember reading that 3.5" was an ideal length because you could reach any point on the screen using only one hand.  Thus raising screen size while keeping the same form factor would not solve this issue.

Why reading it somewhere if you can always see for yourself?
    Try one handed grip of the iPhone 4(s) and see if your thumb can reach the entire bottom area. Likely yes. Try the same with top area up to the imaginary line after which rounded corners start. Likely you can do it too.
    And that's the extra inch!
  • Reply 63 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

There is more than one logical reason for anything that is done. Larger screen size does require more battery life, however, it also provides a larger internal area for the phone to hold a battery that can hold a much larger charge than the increase in screen size will offset. Not saying he is right, but I am saying your logic analysis is flawed...

If we assume for a moment that rate at which battery consumption rises with screen size is less than the benefits afforded by additional battery space then we are still left with one problem. That problem is that in order for Anonymouse's theory to work, it means that all manufacturers other than Apple have come to the same strategy of raising battery life by raising phone size. Samsung, LG, Nokia, HTC, Blackberry, Sony, and every other manufacturer has slowly been increasing screensize. And now, even Apple is following suite. Is it possible that the goal of this was to increase battery life? sure. 

However, the one concession I granted is one that is not true at all in reality.  As screen size goes up, it takes up proportionately more and more of the battery. Here is a screenshot of yesterday's battery consumption by category on my S3:

The screen takes BY FAR the most battery. If we did not have a propensity making bigger phones while at the same time making them thinner, this might not be the case, but due to this, physical battery sizes are not rising at the same proportion as whole phone sizes. Thus raising phone size to raise battery life is not a viable strategy. Thus some people genuinely like bigger screens and the inclusion of LTE in android phones earlier had absolutely nothing to do with them getting bigger.

• Reply 64 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmelapple View Post

Really? The point is...if you were disappointed and feel you are going to be disappointed again...move on. Get whatever it is that makes you happy and stop making excuses like "It's a trap! Oh well, I'm stuck". Apple is going to do what Apple thinks is best for Apple. People will likely buy it whether you are disappointed or not. If you don't like it, that's fine...the competition has a wide range of phones that will probably suit you better. Meanwhile there are millions of people who love their iPhone and don't care about the Android/WinPhone spec-wars. 

Looking at your signature, you sure seem to love Apple products. Right? Well clearly they just aren't getting it right with the iPhone...so move on. Why sit around here and whine about something nobody here can control or change? You think you're going to be disappointed? Boohoo. Move on. Break the yoke of tyranny and oppression. Go out and get that 5" Galaxy Note or whatever hand-stretching phone you want. It's ok. Apple will still take your money on everything else. I promise.

Yes, I do love Apple products and that's why I'm so disappointed with the direction they are going.  Am I not allowed to voice that displeasure?  All I see here are people saying how great it is and I don't feel the same...not with this phone anyway.  I was quite when the 4S came out but not this time.  A great company loses a transcendent leader and has a chance to prove its new leadership is up to the task of carrying on his vision and what do they do?  They stretch the phone.  Come on.  I'm not going to apologize for expecting more and being disappointed.  Boohoo yourself that you can't take someone calling a spade a spade.

• Reply 65 of 117
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evertith View Post

Well said.  My biggest gripe so far with the iPhone 5 specs is the resolution.  They are going against what they did for developers to make development easier, which is resolutions that scaled 1-to-1.  The older devices are 320x480.  The Retina is 640x960 (2x).  But now, we have what seems to be 640x1136, which means developers have to create multiple graphics to make up for that extra bit of pixels.  It may sound trivial, but it adds more development time and costs.  This is the type of fragmentation that has haunted the Android world.  Obviously it's still not as bad as Android, but sucks none the less.

Take a look in the iOS 6 SDK. Apple have set everything up to mean that developers don't need to spend extra time writing code and creating art assets.

• Reply 66 of 117

Assuming the 6th gen iPhone has LTE, would the phone, locked to Verizon, only be a "world phone" insofar as the LTE capability was worldwide compatible?  Or could we expect it to be functional in non-LTE, non-CDMA environments?

• Reply 67 of 117

Quote:

Yes, I do love Apple products and that's why I'm so disappointed with the direction they are going.  Am I not allowed to voice that displeasure?  All I see here are people saying how great it is and I don't feel the same...not with this phone anyway.  I was quite when the 4S came out but not this time.  A great company loses a transcendent leader and has a chance to prove its new leadership is up to the task of carrying on his vision and what do they do?  They stretch the phone.  Come on.  I'm not going to apologize for expecting more and being disappointed.  Boohoo yourself that you can't take someone calling a spade a spade.

I have no problem with you calling a spade a spade...but unfortunately you actually have to wait till they announce it first before you can do that. Until then it's nothing.

How do you know that said leader didn't have a hand in this phone? Cause it came out a year after he died? Steve would have never let this happen when he was alive. Of course. Apple's research on this whole platform goes back years before they ever announced anything. iPhones have improved incrementally on some things and more drastically and industry-leading in others. We have no idea what Steve was involved in and what he wasn't. There are so many things you and l likely have no idea about when it comes to his involvement at Apple. You have absolutely no idea what this thing is going to look like when they likely announce it tomorrow. Maybe Cook blows the lid on a 7" inch iPhone and calls it the iPhone 7 blowing right past 5 and 6! The point is...you don't know and neither do I. So just sitting there and being disappointed from what have only been rumors and well made mock-ups is only really doing yourself a disservice. Sure, you are absolutely 100% able to call a spade a spade...but only once it's been released to the public. If Cook comes on stage and presents the phone we've all be seeing over the last several months...then be disappointed. Show Apple you mean business and take your money elsewhere. 

I said it already, if you don't like it...thats fine. That does mean what I think it means right? It'll be ok if you don't like the next iPhone. I did say that didn't I? You can hate the next iPhone and not upgrade and Apple will still take your money on everything else. You can still be happy buying literally everything else they make that you aren't disappointed with. They won't shun you. I promise. I never asked you to apologize for anything and they won't either. The next iPhone doesn't sell...you can say you had a hand in telling Apple what-for and maybe the next iPhone will be more what you and others expected. Maybe it won't. Who knows? 

Just refrain from calling anything a spade till its unveiled for all to see. 

• Reply 68 of 117

If it is not glowing praise of everything Apple you try to use your moderator position to bully people out of here.

Hardly.

You've lost all objectivity and discourage any critical discussion

Nope.

Many people I've spoken with are not excited about the idea that Apple is merely stretching the 4S.  We wanted a larger screen in all dimensions and a slick design. Stretching it is about the most boring thing they could have come up with. Hopefuly the rumors are wrong and we'll get what we want.  

How many times has Apple come up with something that wasn't what you thought you wanted but turned out to be exactly what you were after all along? I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing, but maybe you'd prefer I hate everything they do sight unseen until sight seen? 

• Reply 69 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetsReason View Post

Don't forget to pick up a gallon of the Kool-Aid.  http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/05/business/la-fi-galaxy-sales-20120906  And that is simply one on one.  That does not include the tens of other phones contributing to Android sales dominating iOS sales.  But don't worry.  Apple will be happy to give you more Kool-Aid since the old may wear off

you troll like a typical droid dork

• Reply 70 of 117

Quote:

You sound completely rational and unbiased.  It's obvious you've put a lot of thought into this as it's your 5th post in 7+ years.  You have made me see the light.  Yes, I will buy 5 now!  Thank you!

You dont know what you are talking about, and you dont know who you are dealing with. 8^)

I have been around a lot more than the few posts you mention. BTW,  I usually just ram a boot straight up a droid dorks @ss and be done with them. But the management here has a soft spot for the DD's I guess. So I let them slide a bit more than I want to.

Go back to the droid dork forums and post your drivel there.

• Reply 71 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hardly.

Nope.

How many times has Apple come up with something that wasn't what you thought you wanted but turned out to be exactly what you were after all along? I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing, but maybe you'd prefer I hate everything they do sight unseen until sight seen? 

Actually, that last time would be the iPhone 4S.  Hey, I'm hoping all the rumors are false.  I'm just saying if they are correct it's going to be a big let down.

• Reply 72 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

You dont know what you are talking about, and you dont know who you are dealing with. 8^)

I have been around a lot more than the few posts you mention. BTW,  I usually just ram a boot straight up a droid dorks @ss and be done with them. But the management here has a soft spot for the DD's I guess. So I let them slide a bit more than I want to.

Go back to the droid dork forums and post your drivel there.

Oh, now I'm a "droid dork" because I said something critical of Apple.  Interesting...especially since I've spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on Apple products and exactly zero dollars on Androids. 

• Reply 73 of 117

I'm just saying if they are correct it's going to be a big let down.

WHY?

• Reply 74 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Well, I did, and while the term "secular" might be applied to an event defining a century or an age, it still doesn't seem applicable,

for an event described as *maybe* defining the second half of the current year...

Thanks for checking, but I think you missed it. In the Mac OS X 10.6 dictionary there is this entry:

Economics (of a fluctuation or trend) occurring or persisting over an indefinitely long period there is evidence that the slump is not cyclical but secular.

• Reply 75 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

WHY?

Well, the biggest issue would be that the screen is only getting longer but not wider.  Next would be that it looks almost exactly like the 4S except for the two-tone back.  The bezel on the 4S looks huge compared to other phones and if the screen is truly not growing in width then it should be the same.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed but we'll see tomorrow.

• Reply 76 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post

If we assume for a moment that rate at which battery consumption rises with screen size is less than the benefits afforded by additional battery space then we are still left with one problem. That problem is that in order for Anonymouse's theory to work, it means that all manufacturers other than Apple have come to the same strategy of raising battery life by raising phone size.

However, the one concession I granted is one that is not true at all in reality.  As screen size goes up, it takes up proportionately

more and more of the battery. Here is a screenshot of yesterday's battery consumption by category on my S3:

Sorry, but it's not really credible that the app launcher eats more battery than the radios. I don't think that shows either what you think it shows or what you say it shows. I think what we are looking at there is the battery consumption since you pulled it off the charger, 14 seconds prior to the screenshot. It's also been shown in LTE phone reviews that using the LTE, for say navigation, can suck down the battery faster than it can charge on some devices. Your claims regarding the respective amount of battery required by screens and radios not only aren't substantiated by you, they simply don't make sense. Larger screens do eat up more battery, but not nearly as much more as you think.

And, yes, it's entirely believable that Android manufacturers all adopted the same strategy, simply because that was the strategy Google recommended. These are not all independent agents with their own operating systems. We're talking about the difference between Android power management and iOS power management, and one companies efforts to improve battery life vs. a bunch of companies content with more or less off the shelf solutions.

Android had serious battery life problems in its infancy, and big phones was the solution.

• Reply 77 of 117

Well, the biggest issue would be that the screen is only getting longer but not wider.

Using the phone with one hand tends to be important.

Next would be that it looks almost exactly like the 4S except for the two-tone back.

I fail to see how that's an "issue"; it's certainly more personal opinion. You want a phone that looks different every three months, you can buy an Android phone. Would you not buy a new iMac because the design hasn't changed "meaningfully" since 2007? 

• Reply 78 of 117

Quote:

Hey, I'm hoping all the rumors are false.  I'm just saying if they are correct it's going to be a big let down.

I for one would actually beg to differ. The reasoning behind having a big letdown at any Apple event would be because there was too much emphasis on trying to find out what they were trying to do before it was announced. For example, posting on this forum, it is so much fun to actually talk to others and try to piece together the puzzle Apple is going to unveil. The problem comes when the unveiling happens and we feel like we already know the tricks and we find it anti climatic.

We have to remember this was one of the last things Steve helped craft and I don't feel it would of been just ANY update if he knew he was ill.

Maybe we can hope for "One more thing"?

• Reply 79 of 117
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

This pretty much sums up how I feel image

http://tech.lifegoesstrong.com/article/apple-iphone-5-ready-disappointment

That loser was absolutely wrong last year and will be wrong this year, from your link:-

"Last October, all expected the iPhone 4S to have a larger screen and 4G LTE connectivity. Instead, it grew in stature and capability as much as any four-year-old turning five.

Dis-a-POIN-ted"

So what was the biggest selling smartphone last year?

Probably some paid shill, trying to salvage some sales for one of the other cellphone makers about to be washed into irrelevance by an Apple Tsunami, again.

• Reply 80 of 117
    Using the phone with one hand tends to be important.

I fail to see how that's an "issue"; it's certainly more personal opinion. You want a phone that looks different every three months, you can buy an Android phone. Would you not buy a new iMac because the design hasn't changed "meaningfully" since 2007? 

200% agreement on both.
    A phone that requires two hands is not a phone.
    Wishing design change for a sake of change is stupid.

Personally I hate certain aspects of the current design and want it changed for specific reasons.