Smaller iPhone dock cable shown with mystery engraving

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
New photos offer yet another look at a purported rear casing for the "iPad mini," as well as a smaller iOS device dock cable, the latter of which has an unidentified engraving.

Mini 1

The alleged cable for the 9-pin dock connector, which is expected to be compatible with the new iPhone, was published on Tuesday by Nowhereelse.fr. The cable matches up with previously published images, but this time includes what appears to be the letter 'C' engraved on the metal connector.

Whether the 'C' engraved on the cable is a temporary inclusion for a prototype build or is something that will be included on the final product remains to be seen.

Mini 2

Also published on Tuesday were a series of renders showing what an iPad mini might look like in a user's hand. The pictures offer an idea of how the new, smaller iPad might fit in a user's hand, though they are not as detailed as the purported images of the device's housing that surfaced last week.

Mini 3

Both the new iPhone and smaller iPad that Apple is expected to launch this year are rumored to utilize a new, smaller 9-pin dock connector that will replace the traditional 30-pin connector that Apple has used for a decade. The design is expected to be orientation independent, allowing it to be plugged in more easily.

Reports have claimed the new cables will be sold by Apple for $19 each. The company is also expected to ease the transition from the existing 30-pin design to the new, smaller 9-pin design by offering adapters that will cost $10 apiece.

Mini 4

As for the iPad mini, it's expected to have a 7.85-inch diagonal display with a 1,024-by-768 resolution screen. That's as many pixels as are found on the current 9.7-inch iPad 2, but packed into a screen nearly two inches smaller.

Apple is set to hold a media event on Wednesday where it is expected the company will introduce its next iPhone. The company is also said to be planning another event for October where it will introduce its smaller iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49

Does anyone think all this speculation is just a bit to much?  Upon closer inspection, it is not a "C". It is the butt impression of a fly.

• Reply 2 of 49
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I hope that red arrow isn’t in the final build. Ugly! Apple is really starting to lose its edge.
  • Reply 3 of 49

OMG A "C"!!! What does it mean?? If they don't print it on the millions of cables they'll produce, can Apple add $1000 to their quarterly bottom line?!

/s

• Reply 4 of 49
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

New photos offer yet another look at a purported rear casing for the "iPad mini," as well as a smaller iOS device dock cable, the latter of which has an unidentified engraving.

Mini 1

What I find annoying and silly about the whole "new adapter cable" thing is that we are treated to endless pictures of a rather plain white cable, but no one has yet bothered to try and figure out the electronics inside.  There's only been one picture of the chips and no one bothered to analyse it at all.  Do the chips just serve to identify accessories?  Is it possible that the chips can switch the contacts so video out is still possible? Who knows?  

Everyone's caught up in staring at the pretty cable, but no one is bothering to try and figure out the technology.  

• Reply 5 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Slow news day?

• Reply 6 of 49

The "C" is for "Cosher"

Quote:

Originally Posted by mugsz View Post

Does anyone think all this speculation is just a bit to much?  Upon closer inspection, it is not a "C". It is the butt impression of a fly.

Yes, it is too much.  Seriously, who really gives a crap?

• Reply 7 of 49
    A mystery?

Zoinks!

Feed me some Scooby Snacks and lets get this mystery solved!

'Cuz it's gonna take us meddling kids to solve it! Scooby-Dooby-Dooooo...
  • Reply 8 of 49

Why can't anyone make out the engraving, because it's clear to me: "This side up."

• Reply 9 of 49

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

…no one has yet bothered to try and figure out the electronics inside.  There's only been one picture of the chips and no one bothered to analyse it at all.

How can we without it in our hands? There has been plenty of discussion as to what these pins correspond on other formats. There's a guy convinced it's a one-lane, 10Gb form of Thunderbolt.

• Reply 10 of 49
    'C' is so Apple can tell who the leak came from!
  • Reply 11 of 49
    Is it just me or is there only 8 pins and not 9?
  • Reply 12 of 49

Originally Posted by Mads View Post

Is it just me or is there only 8 pins and not 9?

People are calling the entire case the 9th pin.

• Reply 13 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

'C' is so Apple can tell who the leak came from!

I had not thought of that.

• Reply 14 of 49
    Does anyone know if the adapter can go in from either orientation? Would be really nice if you didn't have to fumble around like with microusb.
  • Reply 15 of 49

Originally Posted by september11th View Post

Does anyone know if the adapter can go in from either orientation? Would be really nice if you didn't have to fumble around like with microusb.

We can't possibly know that yet, but all rumors and images point to yes. That's be great.

Happy, uh, username to you… 

• Reply 16 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by september11th View Post

It has been reported that the cable is orientation independent.

• Reply 17 of 49
    It's just a guess, but maybe it's an identation and not an engraving. It gives you that "click" sound when you insert it into the iPhone port; similar to the headphone jack.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    gazoobee wrote: »
    What I find annoying and silly about the whole "new adapter cable" thing is that we are treated to endless pictures of a rather plain white cable, but no one has yet bothered to try and figure out the electronics inside.  There's only been one picture of the chips and no one bothered to analyse it at all.  Do the chips just serve to identify accessories?  Is it possible that the chips can switch the contacts so video out is still possible? Who knows?  

Everyone's caught up in staring at the pretty cable, but no one is bothering to try and figure out the technology.  

I've asked those same questions. I know Melgross also had the same thoughts. I guess that makes at least three people thinking about a reversible data cable would actually work as a replacement to a cable that had 30 pins.
  • Reply 19 of 49

We're all a little orientation independent.

• Reply 20 of 49
    Seriously. Seriously?