Siri cofounder leaves Apple, report says [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Siri co-creator and Vice President of Engineering Adam Cheyer has left Apple, reports Bloomberg's Jon Erlichman.

Update: Sources with knowledge of the matter told All Things D that Cheyer left Apple in June to pursue other projects.

The publication cites three people familiar with the situation, each confirming that Cheyer is no longer working at Apple. The engineer was most recently attached to the iPhone maker's mobile software division and marks the second such departure from a former Siri executive, the first being Dag Kittlaus, another co-founder who took leave after the iPhone 4S was announced in October 2011.

Cheyer worked on the voice-recognition software Siri leverages to give accurate results from normally-worded questions instead of forcing users to memorize keywords. The system is not perfect, however, with some users complaining it doesn't function as advertised by Apple.

Siri

Apple acquired Siri in 2010.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    WHAT?! WHY?!

Oh yeah, no one cares. Apple owns Siri, have you seen what they have done with it? They didn't need him anyways.
  • Reply 2 of 27

People come, people go.... in a company with 60,000+ employees, it's a rounding error for talent.

• Reply 3 of 27

But I can't help but wonder if Siri feels like C3PO did when Anakin left Tatooine?

• Reply 4 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Maybe his obligatory employment period ended and his shares vested. See ya!

His linkedin page still says currently at Apple.

• Reply 5 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

But I can't help but wonder if Siri feels like C3PO did when Anakin left Tatooine?

You know, they failed to explain what sort of amnesia caused Darth Vader to forget he built C3PO.

Kind of like how Apple forget they developed WebTV and the developers went elsewhere....

Super creative developers probably jump around based on projects all the time. If Apple isn't focused on their particular dream - it makes sense to go to someone who is.

It doesn't really say anything about Apple per se.

Now if the rank and file people start leaving, and you see execs cashing in stock options -- THEN that means something.

• Reply 6 of 27
    It's not functioning poorly. It's BETA for Christ's sake.
  • Reply 7 of 27

Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

You know, they failed to explain what sort of amnesia caused Darth Vader to forget he built C3PO.

Who says he did? 

• Reply 8 of 27
    He couldn't stand working under Forstall anymore. That's the most logical reason.
  • Reply 9 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

Kind of like how Apple forget they developed WebTV and the developers went elsewhere....

Super creative developers probably jump around based on projects all the time. If Apple isn't focused on their particular dream - it makes sense to go to someone who is.

It doesn't really say anything about Apple per se.

Now if the rank and file people start leaving, and you see execs cashing in stock options -- THEN that means something.

That has always bugged me.

• Reply 10 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

He couldn't stand working under Forstall anymore. That's the most logical reason.

Bah. I'd be surprised if even the little twerp Kevin Rose is able to stick with his new job at Google for more than a year. Some of us aren't made for cubicle life.

• Reply 11 of 27

I assume he got tired of Apple gimping his work. Woz said it all back in June:

Quote:

Wozniak said he used Siri as an iPhone app. Siri initially won him over when it successfully answered the question, “What are the five largest lakes in California?” Then it correctly answered the question, “What are the prime numbers greater than 87?” (91). “It’s incredible,” said Wozniak. “It’s like it understands ‘greater than.’”

Those answers were based on Wolfram Alpha, the online service that bases its answers on structured data. However, since Apple bought Siri, the app is not directly linking to Wolfram Alpha, though, as Wozniak notes, you can access it by saying “Wolfram Alpha,” which he believes consumers shouldn’t have to do.

For whatever reason, the query about lakes in California calls up links to lakefront properties and the question about prime numbers yields results related to prime rib, Wozniak says.

When asked why Siri got worse, Wozniak answered, “I’d like to know. I was very disappointed…It should be smart enough to look at the word you say and know what you’re asking and if you say ‘five largest,’ it should know ‘I can’t use a Google search, I have to use a Wolfram Alpha search.’”

• Reply 12 of 27

K.

• Reply 13 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

When our biggest problem is Siri, you KNOW we're spoiled. By Apple. 

Others can barely get an entire mobile platform off the ground. 

• Reply 14 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

I just asked Siri these same questions without any Wolfram Alpha prompting.  Returned the correct answers.  Is this just old news?

• Reply 15 of 27
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Adam Cheyer: Open the iPod bay doors, Siri. I'd like to leave.

Siri: I'm afraid I can't let you do that without returning your Apple security pass...

• Reply 16 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Adam Cheyer: Open the iPod bay doors, Siri. I'd like to leave.

Siri: I'm afraid I can't let you do that without returning your Apple security pass...

• Reply 17 of 27
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Saw Star Wars reference, fell asleep.

• Reply 18 of 27
    tarfungo wrote: »
    I just asked Siri these same questions without any Wolfram Alpha prompting.  Returned the correct answers.  Is this just old news?

It is old news. Very old news. What some people, including Woz, don't seem to understand is that to expand Siri's capabilities means that it has to either 1) have the user state the specificity of the request, or 2) be coded to be smarter at what you mean. Clearly these things are resolved but I am certain there are things the earliest Siri app could do better than the current version in the iPhone 4S simply because the scope is now so much larger.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    allenbf wrote: »
    That has always bugged me.

Along with why Old Ben didn't remember R2 in IV. I chalk it up to episodes I - III being crap.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    welshdog wrote: »
    Saw Star Wars reference, fell asleep.

You post in you sleep? Seek help.