Apple iOS 6 Maps cuts Google's exclusive lock on directions, opens door to third party apps

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The road doesn't exist in your GPS???

Maybe you'd better not go down it then, you might fall off the edge of the world.

I wonder if the extinction of the human race will come about due to an over-reliance on technology taking away our ability to trust our own senses.

WTF is your point here?  The fact that the road doesn't exist according to TomTom clearly doesn't stop me cycling down it, what an asinine thing to say, I already said that I cycle down it every day.

My point is that TomTom's information lags behind Google's and others (MapQuest for example, and OpenStreetMaps). Like it or not, people use GPS directions to get places. If you live on that street, and the person visiting you is using iOS6 for directions, they can't find you because you don't exist according to TomTom. This is a problem that could be solved by using something other than TomTom's data. 

"Relying on your senses" won't help you navigate if you don't know where you're going.

• Reply 62 of 67
    palex19 wrote: »
    Hopefully this will be true not only for USA but for the rest of the world too. 

Does someone has a developer versions of iOS 6 and can tell us about the business listings in it? 

Still Apple should provide it accessible from a browser. What about OSX users? or other users? The more popular the map will be the more features and listing it will get. This is why Google Maps is now universal and used by 90% of the internet users. 

I have access to iOS 6 Beta 4. The business listings in Apple Maps are quite comparable to Google Maps. Unfortunately, there are many business listings available in either Map that don't appear on the other Map. I have added two new businesses via Yelp! and the listings appeared within a week on Apple Maps.

grouty2 wrote: »
    For Apples Maps to replace Google's in my usage I would have to be able to send links to places to friends independent of the platform they are using. I can do this now with Google maps when I send game information to the members of my soccer team. They don't have to use iOS. They could use the same link I send out on a Saturday morning on an iPhone, an Android phone or a PC/Mac. Apple's Maps mustn't become ghetto-ised - even if it a huge ghetto. Being able to use links produced by iOS 6 Maps on other platforms is a huge issue for me and so many others I know.

Google Maps aren't interoperable with other map solutions. If you send someone a link from Google Maps the link provides directions from Google Maps.
  • Reply 63 of 67
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

WTF is your point here?  The fact that the road doesn't exist according to TomTom clearly doesn't stop me cycling down it, what an asinine thing to say, I already said that I cycle down it every day.

My point is that TomTom's information lags behind Google's and others (MapQuest for example, and OpenStreetMaps). Like it or not, people use GPS directions to get places. If you live on that street, and the person visiting you is using iOS6 for directions, they can't find you because you don't exist according to TomTom. This is a problem that could be solved by using something other than TomTom's data. 

"Relying on your senses" won't help you navigate if you don't know where you're going.

Time the human race existed without GPS = __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Time the human race has existed with GPS =

My point is that it is not the end of the world, ever since the iPhone was first introduced there has been a trend of over dramatisation of missing "essential" features in failed attempt after failed attempt to garner a groundswell of support outside a handful of sites favoured by technocrats.

Apple is using Open Maps, your street isn't on there?

Go online and add it yourself.

I live in a new housing estate, there were a few errors with some street names, it took a couple of minutes to fix in open maps.

• Reply 64 of 67

nice, so the battery life will be even shorter when using maps...-.-

• Reply 65 of 67
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Time the human race existed without GPS = __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Time the human race has existed with GPS =

My point is that it is not the end of the world, ever since the iPhone was first introduced there has been a trend of over dramatisation of missing "essential" features in failed attempt after failed attempt to garner a groundswell of support outside a handful of sites favoured by technocrats.

Apple is using Open Maps, your street isn't on there?

Go online and add it yourself.

I live in a new housing estate, there were a few errors with some street names, it took a couple of minutes to fix in open maps.

Time the human race existed without iPhones = __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Time the human race has existed with iPhones =

We should all leave this site. 

• Reply 66 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by akira69 View Post

Am I the only one that is disgusted with both this apple mapping program and googles in terms of scale?  Why can't these guys include a simple reference scale at the bottom, like any other map in the world?  What's 1 mile?  What's 10 miles?  It's impossible to tell without a scale!!

I can't speak to the Apple maps, but Google maps does have that feature, at least on android. Its just not on by default. 

• Reply 67 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Google Maps aren't interoperable with other map solutions. If you send someone a link from Google Maps the link provides directions from Google Maps.

I didn't mean to suggest that Google's maps were interoperable with other mapping solutions. I tried to make it clear that they have a solution available on (almost) all platforms. So, to be as clear as I can be, If I send a Google maps link from my iOS device to friends who use Windows Phone, Android, a Windows PC, a Macintosh or another iOS device then they will be able to use it. They can click the link (hypertext) and be taken to the appropriate application and shown the destination. Because Google maps solutions are borderline ubiquitous they don't need to be "interoperable". So my 2¢ worth is that to replace Google's maps in my usage Apple's alternative would have to have the same sort of platform agnosticism.