HP taken to task for releasing iMac clone

Comments

• Reply 141 of 178

Hah, that's what I said. Angle of view. Accessories though...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

also the HP isn't as much of a copycat as you think

The accessories definitely are, however.

• Reply 142 of 178

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

See Pixar for a comparative study. Do you think they do all that shit in Blender? No, they invent new plugins and programs to roll their own fur, water, and other 3D sims.

That sounds like Blender-hate. Blender's great, it even helps preventing tsunami casualties. All hail Blender! :p

• Reply 143 of 178
    Well they say that copying is the highest form of flattery.
  • Reply 144 of 178

Originally Posted by Arthur123 View Post

Well they say that copying is the highest form of flattery.

Imitation ? copying.

• Reply 145 of 178
    HP computer monitor from 2009

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/12030/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

and 2007

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/12032/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

truth be told the only case you guys REALLY have is against the accessories...and even those are more like the Vizio's which was an open inspiration from Apple.
  • Reply 146 of 178
    In 36 years of living, I've rarely ever felt capitalism has been anything glorious at all. Starting new products is almost impossible in existing markets. Good products fail in the face of cheap junk, and cheap junk makers mimic popular stuff so closely as to make one cringe at the shamelessness of the act. Professionalism means nothing. Nor does originality. Just look at the state of Hollywood. Perfect analogy for capitalism destroying the "ideals" of capitalism.
  • Reply 147 of 178
    dysamoria wrote: »
    In 36 years of living, I've rarely ever felt capitalism has been anything glorious at all. Starting new products is almost impossible in existing markets. Good products fail in the face of cheap junk, and cheap junk makers mimic popular stuff so closely as to make one cringe at the shamelessness of the act. Professionalism means nothing. Nor does originality. Just look at the state of Hollywood. Perfect analogy for capitalism destroying the "ideals" of capitalism.

Yet Apple seems to succeed at these things seemingly at will. Care to suggest an alternative and proven successful system that does not rely on slavery or close to it?
  • Reply 148 of 178

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Care to suggest an alternative and proven successful system that does not rely on slavery or close to it?

Here come the "Chinese workers" comments.

• Reply 149 of 178
    Here come the "Chinese workers" comments.

Ahhh! Where serfdom IS the middle class.
  • Reply 150 of 178
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    dysamoria wrote: »

I think you're describing a cultural problem, not a problem of an economic system. There aren't any good economic systems, capitalism is merely the best that we have. We might never have gotten personal computers at all under other economic systems.
  • Reply 151 of 178
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And eMachines' eOne, whose settlement drove them to be purchased by Gateway (purchased by Acer).

Apple needs to come down hard.

You know I read this stuff from you, and it generally contains too much emotion rather than any real observation on what infringes upon what. HP appears to have placed the majority of the actual computer in a different portion. The wide base seems to contain a lot of it as I don't think they crammed it behind a display that thin. Anyway this isn't an area where I have the energy to go looking for related patents and forming comparisons, so I won't interject any real opinions.

Quote:

See Pixar for a comparative study. Do you think they do all that shit in Blender? No, they invent new plugins and programs to roll their own fur, water, and other 3D sims.

As an analogy, this is pretty bad. You just compared Pixar to an open source application.

• Reply 152 of 178
    christophb wrote: »
    Yet Apple seems to succeed at these things seemingly at will. Care to suggest an alternative and proven successful system that does not rely on slavery or close to it?

Is capitalism successful if it DOES rely on slavery or something close to it?

To those on top life is always great when you purposefully ignore the bigger picture.

And simply because one can point out WHY something is bad doesn't mean that because they can't tell you what's better that the bad thing is now good.
  • Reply 153 of 178
    Is capitalism successful if it DOES rely on slavery or something close to it?
    To those on top life is always great when you purposefully ignore the bigger picture.
    And simply because one can point out WHY something is bad doesn't mean that because they can't tell you what's better that the bad thing is now good.

Point out the alternative or go away. Your IFs are just wind.
  • Reply 154 of 178
    christophb wrote: »
    Point out the alternative or go away. Your IFs are just wind.

In other words your logic was faulty.

But I see faulty logic seems to be your thing.
  • Reply 155 of 178

mocseg View Post

Has Apple Really Ever Invented Anything? Anything? Anyone?

A friendly reminder:

Integrating things =/= Inventing

Vorsos View Post

Look at Apple's patent portfolio. It takes actual talent and a helluva lot of attention to detail to, say, develop a method of precision laser cutting hardened aluminum on a massive scale, while retaining profitability. Even when the majority of components are manufactured by other companies, Apple is known for having to invent new methods of treatment and assembly at such tight tolerances. Inventing is more than just making a new product category, like light bulbs.

hmm View Post

As an analogy, this is pretty bad. You just compared Pixar to an open source application.

I compared Pixar and Apple, since both are known to invent the tools required to produce their products. Apple could not have assembled the iPhone 4 entirely through existing manufacturing processes, so they developed new ones. Pixar's 3D needs often surpass what public 3D programs are capable of, so they write their own in-house.

Full context above, in case anyone else is confused.

• Reply 156 of 178
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    oh how sad have you become HP?... you were once the top equipment maker (how i llusted after HP test equipment.. (dvm's, spectrum analyzers) LOL geek i suppose (also tektronix oscilloscopes... a 250k dollar digital 'scope ? mind-blowing!)

but i suppose HP's software business has the honour... but still , come on HP, reign in the PC side!
  • Reply 157 of 178

Quote:

I compared Pixar and Apple, since both are known to invent the tools required to produce their products.

When I saw the previews for Brave, I actually wondered how much time they spent getting her hair to look like that. Both the shader development and dynamics must have been insane. The part I felt was out of context was the comparison of a film studio to an open source product that survives via donations.

• Reply 158 of 178
    so my examples of how this is NOT HP copying are to be ignored?
  • Reply 159 of 178

Quote:

I gave up on this long ago. Most of the people on here primarily pay attention to Apple. If they remember something, they remember what Apple did, and that becomes the point of reference. No matter what another company produced in the past, it will be labeled as copying now as these threads are based on anecdotes and lack of research.

• Reply 160 of 178

Might I ask the release date of that 2007 model?