Apple adds further Facebook integration, Power Nap support in latest 10.8.2 beta

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday seeded build 12C50 of the OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion beta with no known issues, adding a number of new features to the upcoming update that should be ready for public launch this fall.

The new build, which comes a week after Apple's last seed, included release notes describing the new features found in 10.8.2 like phone number support for iMessage and tighter integration with the forthcoming iOS 6.

PowerNap

Power Nap, the energy-saving feature that enables Macs to stay up to date by syncing with iCloud and automatically backing up data while the computer is in sleep mode, is now extended to support late-2010 MacBook Airs. Previously, compatibility was limited to mid-2011 or later MacBook Airs and the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display.

Facebook Sharing

Built-in Facebook functionality has also been bolstered to support single sign-ins, merging contact information with OS X Contacts and Notification Center compatibility. The features join system-wide sharing through Mountain Lion's Share Sheets.

As for iOS integration, incoming iMessages and FaceTime calls sent to an iPhone user's phone number will now be displayed in their respective OS X apps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Umm, WHERE IS AIRPLAY FOR QUICKTIME PLAYER?!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quite a lot of changes for a point release. 

• Reply 3 of 11
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    @ascii

Good changes though. This FaceTime integration will go further to replacing old fashion phone calls for many.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Wow, massive update for a point release. Apple ID phone #/email unification is awesome. 

• Reply 5 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Power Nap, the energy-saving feature that enables Macs to stay up to date by syncing with iCloud and automatically backing up data while the computer is in sleep mode, is now extended to support late-2010 MacBook Airs. Previously, compatibility was limited to mid-2011 or later MacBook Airs and the 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display.

I've not been following the news on this much. Does it mean that Power Nap is not compatible with all other MBPs besides the rMBP?

• Reply 6 of 11
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Headline amended:

Facebook integration, Power Nap support and SNAPPINESS in latest 10.8.2 beta

I don't know how they do it, but I love that they do.

After years of using PC's with infrequent Windows updates, each one making your computer slower because they require hardware upgrades, it's nice to have a company that does the reverse.

• Reply 7 of 11
    Still takes too long to shutdown. It was worse in 10.8, very fast in 10.8.1, now back 10.8 slowness.
  • Reply 8 of 11

When you upgrade with these beta seeds, can you download the final and install right over the beta? Or do you have to wipe the drive and use the final build?

• Reply 9 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Umm, WHERE IS AIRPLAY FOR QUICKTIME PLAYER?!

Yeah - that would be awesome.  I need a better way to play movies I downloaded on apple tv.  I've tried pushing my entire desktop and playing a movie that way, but it's not perfect.

• Reply 10 of 11

And how about making Save As... work properly at last?

• Reply 11 of 11

Originally Posted by IanRid View Post

And how about making Save As... work properly at last?

How about learning why they changed it?