Apple's website reveals iPhone 5 name, plus new iPod touch, nano & iTunes

Comments

• Reply 61 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Other than when they told us on stage exactly why they called their devices the names they called them (every keynote), you're right.

Apple has always been about giving people "what they wanted, not what they thought they wanted". Calling the 6th device "iPhone 5" is bowing not only to what idiots in the public think—the John Q. Public who have no knowledge of the internals of Apple—but is also a virtual admittance of the stupid, pathetic whining last year that the iPhone 4S "was a stopgap" and that we were "supposed to get the iPhone 5 last year, therefore since we didn't, the next phone will be iPhone 5". The name is only still in the public mindset because of these idiots, their unrealistic expectations before the launch of the last iPhone, and the stupid rumor that Apple would be releasing TWO PHONES at the same time. 

The next step down the ladder is design by committee.

Not until Cook's on stage with it, it isn't.

None of what you say matters.  Apple sold loads of 4s.  They'll loads more of '5'.

Most people don't care.  They won't lose sleep over it.  Or cause a fight in an empty phone box over it.

It's iPhone 5 and it's going to be great.

I'm going from '4' to '5'.  

Seems easy enough to me. ;)

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 62 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Who gives a shit whether it's iPhone 5, 6 or something else.  Why is that such a big deal?!?

You'll find that a lot of tech people and a lot of intelligent people, prefer logic and order over random names.  

That's why. 

• Reply 63 of 144
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

That doesn't explain the choice of name and implies that at some point in the future they wouldn't sell previous versions.

i wasn't trying to argue what they should call the next iPhone, just that it will have a suffix because they are currently still selling previous models, and they need a way to differentiate them.

I've always agreed with you about naming.  I think it's perfectly logical to name the next iPhone, "iPhone 6" since they obviously have no problem skipping numbers.

• Reply 64 of 144
    adybadyb Posts: 205member

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

I don't know when the 10am keynote starts either.

Unless he(she) is in the UK and has to wait until 6pm. 

• Reply 65 of 144

I think they decided that if the phone looks the same as it's previous version is doesn't get a number bump, so that would imply that this phone will look different than the 4.

• Reply 66 of 144
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdyB View Post

But ultimately you are on the same schedule we are and will hear at the same moment.  Seeing it is 4:30 PM in the UK

• Reply 67 of 144

Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

None of what you say matters.

Of course not. Apple giving up one of the fundamental philosophies that made it what it is today certainly doesn't matter in the slightest.

????

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

i wasn't trying to argue what they should call the next iPhone, just that it will have a suffix because they are currently still selling previous models, and they need a way to differentiate them.

Apple dropped it on the iPad.

• Reply 68 of 144

Quote:

Completely and utterly disagreed. We can't say squat about what's actually being announced, much less what's in just the 6th iPhone.

I don't know why I'm bothering because I know you have this pathological thing about never admitting being wrong, but ...

You have to admit we know far far more this time than ever before.  We know the products being announced, we know their names, we know something about the marketing of each, we know what colours, we know the brand names, we know what sizes (iPods).  

We know what the software (iOS 6) looks like and pretty much all of it's features.  When it comes to the next iPhone, we know what the outside looks like, we know what the inside looks like, we know each individual part, (excepting perhaps the camera), we know what chips, we know what processes were used to make them, we know what all the cables look like, we know how much they are going to cost and when they will be available.  

All in a year when the CEO of the company *publicly* announced that security was going to be "doubled down." 

This is why I hold out hope that Apple is just fooling with us about the leaks and about "iPhone 5."  The biggest single point of evidence for that hope (IMO of course) is not the fact that it "should" be called iPhone 6, but the fact that if they *aren't* fooling with us, then they are complete idiots at keeping anything secret since Steve Jobs left.  

IMO Apple is looking like a bunch of amateur doofuses this year, and I cling to the hope that they are actually playing a sort of meta game with us, primarily because I just can't face the reality of this crap if they aren't.  

Caving to public opinion (the opinion of idiots mind you), over the iPhone 5 name (if indeed that's what they have called it), is a horrible, horrible precedent.  it's just plain sad that they would do this kind of crap.  

• Reply 69 of 144
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

That's a good idea. The whole iTunes Store feels too much like a website than an app to me.

It does. A radical overhaul has been needed for years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You'll find that a lot of tech people and a lot of intelligent people, prefer logic and order over random names.  

That's why. 

Exactly, logic like having each completely new design of an iPhone sport a new number. The 3GS had the same design as the 3G and the 4S had basically the same as the 4.

New design, new name. I thought it was either going to be 5 or just New iPhone. The idea of thinking that it would be the iPhone 6 was the stupidest ever.

• Reply 70 of 144

Quote:

Other than when they told us on stage exactly why they called their devices the names they called them (every keynote), you're right.

I'd really like to see a citation for this statement.

I've watched all the keynotes back to the first one...I've even looked at Wikipedia and scoured the internet.  I can't find a single quote that states, "we named the iphone X because of Y"  There has been a lot of mutual speculation why but never a clear quote from anyone at Apple (credible and named source) declaring why they named any of the previous phones what they did.

• Reply 71 of 144
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdyB View Post

We don't have to wait more, we are in the future :P

Quote:

I've watched all the keynotes back to the first one...I've even looked at Wikipedia and scoured the internet.  I can't find a single quote that states, "we named the iphone X because of Y"  There has been a lot of mutual speculation why but never a clear quote from anyone at Apple (credible and named source) declaring why they named any of the previous phones what they did.

The 3GS was clearly called like that for Speed.

• Reply 72 of 144

Quote:

Of course not. Apple giving up one of the fundamental philosophies that made it what it is today certainly doesn't matter in the slightest.

????

Apple dropped it on the iPad.

It still doesn't matter.  What you say doesn't matter. :)

It's '5'.  Apple gave up on a lot of things.

They're worth billions and you are not.

5 comes after 4.  They have their rational for calling it '5'.  It doesn't matter whether you or anyone else agree.  Millions will buy it.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 73 of 144
    What! of course Apple are going to have added "iPhone 5" into their search metadata, in the same way they added iPad 3 and we all know what happened there. Not having the search criteria for one of the most currently searched things would be very silly.
  • Reply 74 of 144
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Apple has always been about giving people "what they wanted, not what they thought they wanted". Calling the 6th device "iPhone 5" is bowing not only to what idiots in the public think—the John Q. Public who have no knowledge of the internals of Apple—but is also a virtual admittance of the stupid, pathetic whining last year that the iPhone 4S "was a stopgap" and that we were "supposed to get the iPhone 5 last year, therefore since we didn't, the next phone will be iPhone 5". The name is only still in the public mindset because of these idiots, their unrealistic expectations before the launch of the last iPhone, and the stupid rumor that Apple would be releasing TWO PHONES at the same time. 

The next step down the ladder is design by committee.

Not until Cook's on stage with it, it isn't.

at this point it is just sour grapes :-)

• Reply 75 of 144
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Tallest Skill's head is going to explode!

I don't care about his head exploding, but if he had an ounce of class he's sticky a public apology to the whole board, for his all his harrassment over the past year to people who believed that JUST MAYBE it would be called what it ended up being called, or had the gall to call it that in a post, always provoking a rant or a mocking thrashing. I would definitely feel the need to apologize, but then again, that's me. 

• Reply 76 of 144
    5 comes after 4.  It seems Soli here doesn't understand it.

You can spin it any way you like...but Apple's calling it iPhone 5.

How do nitpickers like you get out of bed.  Lol.

Lemon Bon Bon. 

It's understandable- have you ever heard him define numerical sequencing in a decade?
  • Reply 77 of 144

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I don't know why I'm bothering because I know you have this pathological thing about never admitting being wrong, but ...

Yes, that's obviously the case… 

You have to admit we know far far more this time than ever before.

No, with the iPhone 4, we KNEW. DEFINITIVELY. the processor name, because we had an entire phone, high resolution images, and proof of Apple manufacture. We don't know that here (though it's looking like A6). 

We know the products being announced, we know their names, we know something about the marketing of each, we know what colours, we know the brand names, we know what sizes (iPods).

We don't know any of that. Would you mind listing exactly what we're getting, since we 'know' it? 

We know what the software (iOS 6) looks like and pretty much all of it's features.

… Just like every single year because they announce the software in advance. What we still don't know, and which we never know, are the hardware-specific features.

This is why I hold out hope that Apple is just fooling with us about the leaks and about "iPhone 5."  The biggest single point of evidence for that hope (IMO of course) is not the fact that it "should" be called iPhone 6, but the fact that if they *aren't* fooling with us, then they are complete idiots at keeping anything secret since Steve Jobs left.

So you're ignoring that even worse leaks than these happened when Steve Jobs was alive, of course, because… "this never would have happened if Steve was around" is so tempting to post? Come ON, people. I have absolutely no usable short or long term memory, but I can go the frick back and read old articles that show in many cases we knew more then for those than we do now for this! 

IMO Apple is looking like a bunch of amateur doofuses this year, and I cling to the hope that they are actually playing a sort of meta game with us, primarily because I just can't face the reality of this crap if they aren't.

Caving to public opinion (the opinion of idiots mind you), over the iPhone 5 name (if indeed that's what they have called it), is a horrible, horrible precedent.  it's just plain sad that they would do this kind of crap.

We diverge up there, but we come right back together here. Agreed. 

I believe the only time it wasn't mentioned at the keynote was for the iPhone 3G S (because there WAS a space initially), and then in some interview one of the execs (maybe Steve himself) confirmed it was for 'speed'. 

Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

It still doesn't matter.  What you say doesn't matter. :)

It's '5'.  Apple gave up on a lot of things.

They're worth billions and you are not.

5 comes after 4.  They have their rational for calling it '5'.  It doesn't matter whether you or anyone else agree.  Millions will buy it.

And people call ME a blind fanboy, unable to claim Apple has ever done wrong… image

• Reply 78 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

We don't have to wait more, we are in the future :P

The 3GS was clearly called like that for Speed.

I've heard and read about that, but it's still all speculation from the media and forums.  And doesn't answer my request for citation.

• Reply 79 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by stniuk View Post

I think they decided that if the phone looks the same as it's previous version is doesn't get a number bump, so that would imply that this phone will look different than the 4.

That seems to be the case so far. A new form factor came with a new number while internal incremental upgrades came with a letter. The only exception to this pattern was the iphone 3g, which looked like the first iphone (except for the aluminum backing). But from 3 to 4 to 5 (assuming it'll be called 5 with a new form factor), it's been a new number with each new form factor. It doesn't matter what anyone else says or tries to argue. At the end of the day, it is what it is and we'll find out soon enough. I think it's obvious that 5 is going to be the name.

• Reply 80 of 144

Quote:

Yes, that's obviously the case… 

No, with the iPhone 4, we KNEW. DEFINITIVELY. the processor name, because we had an entire phone, high resolution images, and proof of Apple manufacture. We don't know that here (though it's looking like A6). 

We don't know any of that. Would you mind listing exactly what we're getting, since we 'know' it? 

… Just like every single year because they announce the software in advance. What we still don't know, and which we never know, are the hardware-specific features.

So you're ignoring that even worse leaks than these happened when Steve Jobs was alive, of course, because… "this never would have happened if Steve was around" is so tempting to post? Come ON, people. I have absolutely no usable short or long term memory, but I can go the frick back and read old articles that show in many cases we knew more then for those than we do now for this! 

We diverge up there, but we come right back together here. Agreed. 

I believe the only time it wasn't mentioned at the keynote was for the iPhone 3G S (because there WAS a space initially), and then in some interview one of the execs (maybe Steve himself) confirmed it was for 'speed'. 

And people call ME a blind fanboy.

It's going to be called the iPhone 5, folks. :)

Millions will rejoice and demand Apple take their money.  250 million of iPhone 5 in a year?  A true Jesus '5' phone. :P

Lemon Bon Bon.