Comments

• Reply 81 of 144
    iPhone (original)=iPhone 1
    iPhone 3G=iphone 2
    iPhone 3GS=iPhone 3
    iPhone 4=iPhone 4
    iPhone 4S=iPhone 5
    NEW iPhone=iPhone 6

Actually, the iPhone 4 was the incorrectly named unit, as it is internally an iPhone3,1/3,2 (GSM/CDMA), with the 3GS being an iPhone2,1 and the 3G an iPhone1,2. The iPhone 4S brought the name back in-line with the internal version.
  • Reply 82 of 144
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by neosum View Post

...The only exception to this pattern was the iphone 3g, which looked like the first iphone (except for the aluminum backing)...

Actually it is the case as well with the 3G.  The exterior dimensions were different.  The plastic back was a elliptical shape and not bull-nosed like the first iPhone, and the buttons were different.  Not to mention the 3G and 3GS came in different colors as well.

• Reply 83 of 144

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

And doesn't answer my request for citation.

Got one!

Originally Posted by this link View Post

Speed: Schiller presented the lead improvement of the 3G S as its speed - in fact, he explained, that's what the "S" stands for.

• Reply 84 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I believe the only time it wasn't mentioned at the keynote was for the iPhone 3G S (because there WAS a space initially), and then in some interview one of the execs (maybe Steve himself) confirmed it was for 'speed'. 

show me the quote.  Hyperlink something and i'll believe it.  Otherwise, by your own logic, it's still just a speculation.

• Reply 85 of 144
    Speaking of digits, why are single-digit IQ people posting?
  • Reply 86 of 144
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

I think Apple has been making inconsequential mistakes in naming the iPhone since it's 2nd generation. I had friends think the iPhone 3G was the 3rd gen iPhone. And since then, the naming has just been bonkers, with maybe the exception of the iPhone 4. They really should just call it "iPhone" and be done with it like they did with iPad.

Since they continue to sell older models of both iPhones and iPads they should probably drop the numbering scheme altogether and perhaps adopt a more logical naming convention like naming them in the tradition of Mexican wrestling. Maniaco, Místico, Dragón Rojo, or my personal favorite, El Intocable.  

• Reply 87 of 144

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

show me the quote.  Hyperlink something and i'll believe it.  Otherwise, by your own logic, it's still just a speculation.

In the post above yours. Or do a search for "iPhone 3GS" between 6/8/2009 and 6/8/2009.

• Reply 88 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Got one!

ok, i buy that quote, but, has there ever been a quote for the 4?  4S?  people "think" the "S" is for speed again or "SIRI" but we have never heard a direct quote for it.  Nor have we one for 3G even though that one is kind of obvious.

• Reply 89 of 144

Reminds me of the "Premature Specification" of the Power Mac G5.

Today's "leak" from Apple (if it indeed will be called iPhone 5) was less blatant, but that G5 goof up made for a fun day!

Coincidentally the number then also incremented from 4 to 5...

• Reply 90 of 144

My goddess people, 91 posts about the *name*?!

Please go outside and get some fresh air, and concentrate on something truly important like, oh, electing the next president or combating global warming.

• Reply 91 of 144

Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

…electing the next president or combating global warming.

Electoral college handles the former. And entropy takes care of the latter.

• Reply 92 of 144

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

My goddess people, 91 posts about the *name*?!

Please go outside and get some fresh air, and concentrate on something truly important like, oh, electing the next president or combating global warming.

Come over to Ars we are arguing about F******* cables.

• Reply 93 of 144
    antkm1 wrote: »
    clemynx wrote: »
    We don't have to wait more, we are in the future :P

The 3GS was clearly called like that for Speed.
    I've heard and read about that, but it's still all speculation from the media and forums.  And doesn't answer my request for citation.

IIRC, the s for the 3rd gen stood for speed, Phil saying that on stage. The s for the 5th gen wasn't explained in the keynote.
  • Reply 94 of 144
    I'm typing this on is the iPhone 4 I got during the summer of 2010.

Two years and two months later the brand new iPhone being released is the iPhone..........5?

How does that make any sense?
  • Reply 95 of 144
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Speaking of digits, why are single-digit IQ people posting?

Hey! I resemble that remark!

• Reply 96 of 144
    The iPhone after the 4s will be called the iphone5. Seems simple enough. And that's what apple excels at, making things simple when they could be complex. I predict no one will be confused and only the tech minded will have a problem with it. Seems like a classic apple decision to me.
  • Reply 97 of 144

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Hey! I resemble that remark!

The real argument is between whether we have five or six (scored as five) IQ points. image

Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

The iPhone after the 4s will be called the iphone5. Seems simple enough.

How?

I predict no one will be confused and only the tech minded will have a problem with it.

More than just the 'tech-minded' had a problem with Apple selling an iPad that can in fact do LTE in Australia where it cannot. I imagine most of them didn't understand why it didn't work.

• Reply 98 of 144
    5 comes after 4. Youre making it too complicated. And again no one but the tech minded will have a problem with this. That and OCD ers.
  • Reply 99 of 144

Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

5 comes after 4.

And we've already had the 5th.

• Reply 100 of 144
    So what? What problems will that present in the real world? The only problem I've seen is yours and I fail to see how that will be harmful or even acknowledged by the 10's of millions of people who will buy them.