Purported iPhone 5 logic board shows LTE modem, A6 CPU

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

For some reason, I don't know if Apple can bump up the storage amount for SSD memory. I just don't see the prices coming down enough to warrant that when they are doing other things that increase the cost to mfg. Larger screen, case, faster processor, possibly more RAM, better cell chip, possibly dual microphones, and other little things cost money and I think at this point SSD memory is just another thing that might push the cost up to much at this point in time.

personally, I think people just have to learn to manage the apps and content they carry around. I periodically remove apps if I am not using them.

They can just Finally put in sd card slots. Make it a tray just like the sim card. manage it just like windows phones do  make it a part of total memory. This also makes it secure since you cant just take the sd card out and read whats on it on a computer.

heck they can do away with onboard memory totally and sell the iphone with an sd card of say 16 gig or 32 gig.  This would allow them to even sell a cheaper iphone with no memory at all and you provide the sd card. Ios can be on its own flash chip onboard.

• Reply 22 of 36
    "It has been suggested that the ARM processor will be based on Samsung's Exynox 4 architecture."

Do you realize that what you say does not make any sense. The Exynos is not an Arm architecture but a Samsung SoC which uses Arm processors. Apple Ax processors do not have anything to do with the Exynos SoCs and I doubt Apple will put itself in dependence to anything Samsung produces given that they are not really friends recently, are they? In fact, Apple SoCs have significant difference in architecture from the image processing chip to the GPU used. Apple SoCs use PowerVR GPUs, the Exynos use the Arm Mali GPUs. And note that the Apple A5X use a 128 bits wide memory controller, something which will not be available until the Exynos 5. This means that it's hardly believable that Apple will base it's future A6 on something already behind the A5X (also in terms of GPU performance). Do you get it!

Apple still depends on Samsung for the fabs where Apple SoCs are produced and if the A6 keeps th same characteristic, Apple uses the same Arm standard design also produced in Samsung fabs. But we know that Apple is trying to find other partners to produce its SoCs.

But again, Exynos has nothing to do with Apple SoCs and will never have. Please correct this silly statement.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    drblank wrote: »
    For some reason, I don't know if Apple can bump up the storage amount for SSD memory. I just don't see the prices coming down enough to warrant that when they are doing other things that increase the cost to mfg. Larger screen, case, faster processor, possibly more RAM, better cell chip, possibly dual microphones, and other little things cost money and I think at this point SSD memory is just another thing that might push the cost up to much at this point in time.

personally, I think people just have to learn to manage the apps and content they carry around. I periodically remove apps if I am not using them.

I agree to your NAND theory. The price difference would be too great if they continue on the $ 100 increments. Currently we pay $ 100 for 16GB when going 16 --> 32 and pay the same for 32GB when going 32 --> 64. Can't be $ 100 for 64GB when going 64 --> 128, can it?
  • Reply 24 of 36

Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

They can just Finally put in sd card slots.

Come on.

• Reply 25 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Ironically, the red arrows point to the corners of an ideal screen. If it was an iPhone-4 case, it could be in between 4" and 4.5". In this elongated case maybe up to 5".

(No comments on the Home button)

By "ideal screen" you mean your idea of what an ideal screen is of course.  :-)

The thing is, it's really quite likely that over time the top and bottom bezel areas will in fact be reduced to match those lines (so it will match the back if for no other reason).  They won't however increase the screen size at that point but are far more likely to shrink the entire phone back to the "old" (current" size), or even smaller.  

So what you will see in the future is a smaller iPhone with this same 16:9 4" screen.  

I don't know why you can't seem to understand this basic idea.  Apple isn't going to change the screen size on a whim or change it back and forth based on what's "popular" with the competition or because that's what everyone wants this year.  

They change it based on what's best for the phone, not what jason thinks is cool.  If there was a good reason to change it to 4.5" or 5" they would have already done so.  

• Reply 26 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I agree to your NAND theory. The price difference would be too great if they continue on the $ 100 increments. Currently we pay $ 100 for 16GB when going 16 --> 32 and pay the same for 32GB when going 32 --> 64. Can't be $ 100 for 64GB when going 64 --> 128, can it?

Can they go 32, 64, 96 instead of the suggested 128? I'm sure they can use a 32 with a 64 together.

• Reply 27 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    128 GB would be nice...  I wonder what the A6 CPU foretells for the iPad and iPad Mini.

iPad A6 was my first thought too. It seems too soon for a new iPad but an iPad mini with a more powerful CPU than an iPad also seems a bit strange ... yet if it is in the iPhone 5 I don't see an iPad coming out with less than an iPhone.
  • Reply 28 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The thing is, it's really quite likely that over time the top and bottom bezel areas will in fact be reduced to match those lines (so it will match the back if for no other reason).  They won't however increase the screen size at that point but are far more likely to shrink the entire phone back to the "old" (current" size), or even smaller.  

So what you will see in the future is a smaller iPhone with this same 16:9 4" screen.  

I don't know why you can't seem to understand this basic idea.  Apple isn't going to change the screen size on a whim or change it back and forth based on what's "popular" with the competition or because that's what everyone wants this year.  

They change it based on what's best for the phone, not what jason thinks is cool.  If there was a good reason to change it to 4.5" or 5" they would have already done so.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Your theoretical ideal screen would be an even taller/thinner aspect ratio than the expected 16:9. I can't imagine Apple doing that.

Looks nice, but it isn't going to win back anyone who went Android to get a large screen.

Actually, that's exactly what want (as I outlined in my previous posts):  4"+ screen in the OLD short case.

I hate the "fact" they increased the length. It does not fit my shirt pocket. It is harder to use single-handed.
  • Reply 29 of 36

It is harder to use single-handed.

Which you know, owning one.

• Reply 30 of 36

iPhone 5 will have 4G LTE -- that means Samsung and, more importantly, HTC can go ahead with their respective lawsuits. 

• Reply 31 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Which you know, owning one.

Stop sarcasm. You know it that it is A. logical B. obvious

• Reply 32 of 36

You know it that it is A. logical B. obvious

C. Completely unknown until you hold the device in your hand.

They did this because a larger screen becomes LESS usable with one hand any other way.

• Reply 33 of 36

Quote:

C. Completely unknown until you hold the device in your hand.

They did this because a larger screen becomes LESS usable with one hand any other way.

Not if the *** button removed.

• Reply 34 of 36
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

A 128GB iPhone with a SD slot would finally allow us to get back to the storage capacity we had with an iPod years ago. I doubt it will happen anytime soon but I for one would love that ability. Of course the real reason Apple won't do it is to upsell to their higher end phones. Who would pay $499 for the high end model instead of $199 when you could add a 64GB SD card for $40. 

• Reply 35 of 36

Not if the *** button removed.

And there it is again.

• Reply 36 of 36

Quote:

And there it is again.

See I am censoring myself :)