Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE

Comments

• Reply 21 of 392

Definitely not a negative, but no real major surprises at all.

mico-SIM? Nano SIM?

• Reply 22 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

took them a year to design an identical copy of the 4 and 4s..and they still labeled the "greatest innovation we undertook"..what was the smallest?  

Exactly!  I'm beyond underwhelmed with this.  (I say that because I love Apple and know they can do so much better.)  This is a huge miss.  Saying they didn't go wider because you should be able to hold the phone is a cop out.  It's not as if people are dropping Androids and Windows phones left and right.  The fact is Apple got lazy.  25 months to stretch a phone????  Sorry, that's lame.  Yes, they'll have huge sales numbers but anyone not already locked into the Apple ecosystem now has a lot more to think about when getting their first smartphone.  If I did not already have so many Apple products I would not buy this.  But since I do...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post

Shidell, this is the best post ever...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Where's the wow factor?

This is pretty tired. Everything Apple's "incorporating" has been in an Android device for almost a year now, in some cases longer.

Careful Shidell!  You'll be labeled an Android fanboy!  This is not the place for facts! ;)

• Reply 23 of 392

by far the best phone out there in any relevant aspect.. by far. amazing device.

• Reply 24 of 392

In one word: deceptive. Waiting for a 13" retina macbook indeed.

• Reply 25 of 392
    Well the iPhone 5 is a pretty dull affair isn't it....it looks uninspiring, its dull, its boring, its....yes its still ugly.

Oh it can take panorama pictures - is that really something they think is smart enough to proclaim, I've had a free app for two years that does that!

The OS continues to creak on, its so sad that Apple are looking VERY tired. Signed a very sad Apple fanatic since 1991, who is losing faith.
  • Reply 26 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

by far the best phone out there in any relevant aspect.. by far. amazing device.

Objectively, by what? It grew to 4in and added LTE, ok? I'll be preordering, but it's an incremental update that plugs the next 2 biggest complaints. 

• Reply 27 of 392

I don't like that through all the nonsensical and incorrect reasons for which people are claiming (pretending, or otherwise) they'll leave Apple, I seem to be the only one to know the valid one and who won't… yet.

• Reply 28 of 392
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Seriously - where is the Wow factor? What you have to do is stay away from the rumor sites and wait for the reveal.
  • Reply 29 of 392

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Seriously - where is the Wow factor? What you have to do is stay away from the rumor sites and wait for the reveal.

What I really want to see is people complaining when the MacBook Pro isn't redesigned next year.

"That's it?" they'll scream, "Where's the new case? These ports are the same. Why aren't there more keys on the keyboard?"

• Reply 30 of 392

Quote:

Do you seriously expect Apple to revolutionize the space with *every* release. 

The WOW factor is that it's the most unmatched marriage of hardware and software. And the phone's build quality is first-rate. And it runs iOS 6 (you can't seriously call Android an evolved interface), and it's better than the iPhone 4S. 

• Reply 31 of 392

Quote:

Big WOW would be if everything presented was in the un-elongated case.

• Reply 32 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't like that through all the nonsensical and incorrect reasons for which people are claiming (pretending, or otherwise) they'll leave Apple, I seem to be the only one to know the valid one and who won't… yet.

What is the valid one?? The new connector? That's all I can see people having a legit gripe over, unless that their covers won't fit...

• Reply 33 of 392
    we may have hit the "peak" of the iPhone frenzy. I switched (because ATT was so lousy) to HTC EVO and how have the LTE. I'll never look back ...
  • Reply 34 of 392
    I'm really becoming disillusioned with Apple. I love my iPhone 4S (which I purchased at full price and not on contract) and I love iCloud and I also really like my new MacBook Pro. But is this really the best they can do?

Sure, people will still queue for days to get their hands on this iPhone, but I certainly won't. What they've really announced is an upgraded iPhone 4S with an extra row of icons and a wireless technology that is no where near ready for mass use. I remember the days when Apple set the market, not just followed it. Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave right now.

To be fair, I am looking forward to the availability of iOS 6 and this upgraded iTunes that was mentioned earlier today. Scott Forstall, you have to become CEO as soon as possible and take the company out of the hands of Tim Cook and the Dixons guy. It took more than numbers and spreadsheets to create the brand that is Apple, it took imagination.

Perhaps this is an unfair critique (and I would be happy to be told that it is), or perhaps personal/mobile technology has reached a point where it's future can only be evolutionary and not revolutionary.
  • Reply 35 of 392
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Where's the wow factor?

This is pretty tired. Everything Apple's "incorporating" has been in an Android device for almost a year now, in some cases longer.

You are losing sight of the only really important thing:

None of those Android phones was an iPhone a year ago.

None of those Android phones is an iPhone today.

None of those Android phones will ever be an iPhone.

That's huge.

• Reply 36 of 392

Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

I'm really becoming disillusioned with Apple. I love my iPhone 4S (which I purchased at full price and not on contract) and I love iCloud and I also really like my new MacBook Pro. But is this really the best they can do?

What I really want to see is people complaining when the MacBook Pro isn't redesigned next year.

"That's it?" they'll scream, "Where's the new case? These ports are the same. Why aren't there more keys on the keyboard?"

• Reply 37 of 392

An underwhelming phone if I've ever seen one. 

As has been pointed out, there is nothing in this phone that has not existed in Android for a year at least.

OS is still looking the same.  The minor upgrades to Apple's apps duplicate Apps that have been available for years and are mostly free.

Slightly longer screen - Meh.

LTE, again out for years on Android.

Battery Life - lower end of the smartphones.

As an Apple user since the 80's I must say I am disappointed. 

Yes, I will probably buy this as I've invested so much in the Apple environment, however, I do think the number of new iPhone adopters will plummet.  This phone's hardware is behind most Android phones and unless you're invested in the Apple Apps world, there is little motivation to join it.

• Reply 38 of 392

They just stretched the screen adding a bit more vertical space, so now as App developer now I'll have a new resolution to handle. This means an added development/testing cost without a real big advantage in usability (just two more vertical lines of text). They'd better use a bigger screen keeping the same ratio and resolution, but I think they are trapped by their "Retina" marketing bs so I think this was the best compromise they found,  what is lame...

• Reply 38 of 392

Quote:

Another choice stupid comment. Laptops are not changing and evolving at the rate and scale smartphones are.  In the smartphone world tech and devices are growing in leaps and bounds. Apple seems to have left that world and joined the incremental update world. That was fine with the 4S, but now it's the third phone without major changes that lead with new features, and I'm not talking about the design of the exterior. They follow behind Android by a year or more.

• Reply 40 of 392
    modemode Posts: 163member
    Wow!!! I didn't think Ives would drop the ball so soon after Steve's passing.
    Samsung and Motto are light years ahead of Apple now in the design department.

Tech specs are somewhat solid, and iOS 6 had better be good because thats the only thing this design disaster has going for it.

Is Ives completely out of ideas???