Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE

Comments

• Reply 41 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

This phone's hardware is behind most Android phones and unless you're invested in the Apple Apps world, there is little motivation to join it.

Well,  give me an example of

• Any Android with both LTE and dual WiFi band?

• Any Android 7.6mm thin (including camera part)

• Any 4" Android usable with single hand?

Any Android with all items above combined?

• Reply 42 of 392

In the smartphone world tech and devices are growing in leaps and bounds.

Yeah, their screen size certainly is. Nothing else about them screams 'growing in leaps and bounds' to me, though. We have LTE now, except we don't across most of the planet, processors are only going to become incrementally better, same with RAM, same with GPU power, capacities can only increase as fast as NAND grows, and MicroSDXC cards don't seem to be getting any bigger or cheaper any time soon.

…and I'm not talking about the design of the exterior.

I wonder if the people that say this realize how stupid they sound? The iPhone 4S was the fastest cell phone in the world when it was released. I imagine the 6th iPhone is the fastest cell phone in the world again. What part of "every single aspect of the phone was upgraded last time" was not "major changes"? What part of "everything but the camera is upgraded this time, and even more things that weren't last time" is not "major changes"? 

The case looks the same. BIG. FRIGGING. WHOOP. That seems to be the basis of your entire argument.

• Reply 43 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Do you seriously expect Apple to revolutionize the space with *every* release. 

The WOW factor is that it's the most unmatched marriage of hardware and software. And the phone's build quality is first-rate. And it runs iOS 6 (you can't seriously call Android an evolved interface), and it's better than the iPhone 4S. 

Nope, not every release.  But the last major update was the iPhone 4.  The 4s and now the 5 are small upgrades to the camera, processor, screen size, and now LTE.  So now we have to wait until 2013, by then Apple has been crawling along for 3 years.  I still have my iPhone 4 and still don't feel any need to upgrade.

• Reply 44 of 392
    I don't like that through all the nonsensical and incorrect reasons for which people are claiming (pretending, or otherwise) they'll leave Apple, I seem to be the only one to know the valid one and who won't… yet.

Which is...?
  • Reply 45 of 392

Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

The 4s and now the 5 are small upgrades to the camera, processor, screen size, and now LTE.

Yes, twice over making the fastest phone on the planet are 'small upgrades'.

If you're waiting for a new "revolution", stop. You don't get it.

• Reply 46 of 392
    mode wrote: »
    Wow!!! I didn't think Ives would drop the ball so soon after Steve's passing.
    Samsung and Motto are light years ahead of Apple now in the design department.
    Tech specs are somewhat solid, and iOS 6 had better be good because thats the only thing this design disaster has going for it.
    Is Ives completely out of ideas???

Define disaster. You're mad because it doesn't light up with blinking lights or something?

The design follows the lead of all other Apple products. Minimalist. Metal and glass.
  • Reply 47 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I think that with the iPhone 5, many people may.

• Reply 48 of 392
    Oh and let's not forget the cost of getting new cables/adapters for the old ones.

BTW, this has nothing to do with how the case looks. I don't need the worlds thinnest smartphone. How about a little thicker and the worlds best battery life. How about a little wider screen. The whole one hand thing is way overblown both in terms of fact and how often it even applies.
  • Reply 49 of 392
    techguy911 wrote: »
    Nope, not every release.  But the last major update was the iPhone 4.  The 4s and now the 5 are small upgrades to the camera, processor, screen size, and now LTE.  So now we have to wait until 2013, by then Apple has been crawling along for 3 years.  I still have my iPhone 4 and still don't feel any need to upgrade.

Everybody fawns over the 3GS to 4 leap. What did that bring?

Metal instead of glass
    Retina display
    2x as fast

How do you beat metal and glass? You replace the glass back with metal and defy radio science by still allowing signal to escape the shell.

How do you beat the retina display? You can't. Well, you can make it bigger and with better color.

So what how does the 4S to 5 leap stack up?

Metal back instead of glass back
    Bigger Retina display with better color
    2x as fast

Seems like a wash to me. The visible leap for plastic to metal and low-res to retina is always going to color opinions.

What more did you expect? What more is possible? Eventually you get to the point of diminishing returns.
  • Reply 50 of 392
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

Nope, other than his secretive but passionate love of Sony, he never has any original ideas of his own at all. And it shows..., but for his complete lack of originality, he was knighted. Everyone knows once you're knighted, everything will start to go down hill from there. Perhaps, that IS his punishment. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Wow!!! I didn't think Ives would drop the ball so soon after Steve's passing.

Samsung and Motto are light years ahead of Apple now in the design department.

Tech specs are somewhat solid, and iOS 6 had better be good because thats the only thing this design disaster has going for it.

Is Ives completely out of ideas???

• Reply 51 of 392

How about a little wider screen. The whole one hand thing is way overblown both in terms of fact and how often it even applies.

Yeah! Why, just the other day I used both my hands to hold my phone to my head and wasn't carrying groceries or other items at the same time.

Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

…he never has any original ideas of his own at all.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

You people should open a comedy club.

• Reply 52 of 392

We see the same comments shortly after every release. Especially after the iPhone 4S. 

Then we see "Apple sells x-million during first weekend."

Then we see:

"I knew it"

"Not surprising"

"It really is a great device"

"I love mine, it's awesome"

"beat that (insert name of Android OEM du jour)!"

And so on. 

• Reply 53 of 392
    Yes, twice over making the fastest phone on the planet are 'small upgrades'.

Let's see the real life benchmarks before just accepting the speed claims. I'd like to see the benchmarks against the latest Android and Windows 8 phones.
  • Reply 54 of 392
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

So the actual camera hardware was only made thinner but hasnt changed from the iphone 4s. it still has the same specs.

Thats the thing I care about the most. a longer screen doesnt do anything for me.

I would think they would have atleast upgraded the camera.

What, like Samsung did with the Galaxy S 2 to the Galaxy S III, oh hang on, 8 Megapixel, the same, oh, oh I know like HTC did from the Sensation to the Ine X... damn, same 8 Megapixel, well so much for camera upgrades from the main opposition.

• Reply 55 of 392
    Yeah! Why, just the other day I used both my hands to hold my phone to my head and wasn't carrying groceries or other items at the same time.

You people should open a comedy club.

You mean to tell me the maximum width you can hold to your ear is the width of the iPhone? Sorry you have deformed micro hands. The one hand claim is operating it you dolt, not holding it to your ear. :lol:
  • Reply 56 of 392

The one hand claim is operating it you dolt, not holding it to your ear.

My point stands, as it is applicable to both cases.

• Reply 57 of 392
    shidell wrote: »
    I think that with the iPhone 5, many people may.

And what do you, in all your wisdom, think most consumers expected that wasn't provided?

Unless you like gigantic phones that require cargo pants to pocket them, what does an Android phone have that this doesn't? What killer feature hardware wise is this missing that will be released in the next year?

Don't say NFC.
  • Reply 58 of 392
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

So to go from 16gb to 32gb on the iPod Touch it's $50

To do the exact same thing on the new iPhone it's $100

Ok.......?

• Reply 59 of 392

A lot of complaints here (what else is new?)! For me who's still using a 3GS this is very good and what I been waiting for: LTE, bigger screen (albeit slightly bigger), faster, better cam, etc. This will be a huge upgrade from my 3GS. If you have a 4 or 4S it might not be so special, but for me and a coworker - we're excited. We didn't see the point of going 4S last year and still be on 3G only. Would be nice to make the screen 4.25+, but 4" is cool - need to go to a store to see how it feels. If they didn't make the screen bigger I was likely going Samsung S-III with a heavy heart and guilty conscious. Now… jump to Verizon or Sprint… hmmm… desicions. 

• Reply 60 of 392

Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Now… jump to Verizon or Sprint… hmmm… desicions. 

Verizon has a meaningful network, so I think there's your decision. And LTE out the wazoo.