Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE

Comments

• Reply 61 of 392

Tired looking design - a bit like the Range Rover refined and functional but tired looking and out of touch with the new boys on the block.  Taller ? what happened to the scroll bar - doesn't that do the same thing. Iconic - isn't that a fanciful way for saying 'old'. Apple do yourself a favor and license the software to Samsung, Motorola, LG and HTC so we can get something new and you get to keep your cash generating eco system.

• Reply 62 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

And what do you, in all your wisdom, think most consumers expected that wasn't provided?

Unless you like gigantic phones that require cargo pants to pocket them, what does an Android phone have that this doesn't? What killer feature hardware wise is this missing that will be released in the next year?

Don't say NFC.

Rather, what does this have, that an Android phone hasn't for the last year?

Don't say iOS.

• Reply 63 of 392
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Exactly!  I'm beyond underwhelmed with this.  (I say that because I love Apple and know they can do so much better.)  This is a huge miss.  Saying they didn't go wider because you should be able to hold the phone is a cop out.  It's not as if people are dropping Androids and Windows phones left and right.  The fact is Apple got lazy.  25 months to stretch a phone????  Sorry, that's lame.  Yes, they'll have huge sales numbers but anyone not already locked into the Apple ecosystem now has a lot more to think about when getting their first smartphone.  If I did not already have so many Apple products I would not buy this.  But since I do...

Careful Shidell!  You'll be labeled an Android fanboy!  This is not the place for facts! ;)

Woah, time machine, back to last year, these loser type comments didn't work then and they won't work now...

...now run along, Samsung needs you back on set for their new commercial.

• Reply 64 of 392

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Don't say iOS.

Don't pretend you can ignore software. If spec whoring is all you care about, go buy an Android phone. A 1.5GHz processor won't help you use Android well.

• Reply 65 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Wow!!! I didn't think Ives would drop the ball so soon after Steve's passing.

Samsung and Motto are light years ahead of Apple now in the design department.

Tech specs are somewhat solid, and iOS 6 had better be good because thats the only thing this design disaster has going for it.

Is Ives completely out of ideas???

Again, it looks just like an iMac.

It is a cohesive drawing together of all of apple's consumer devices.

the fully laminated screen? iMac

the holes on the bottom for speakers? iMac

Wow....just.....wow.....

Since I am way overdue for an upgrade, I am merely attempting to determine if I want black or white.

Is the black anodized black on the case? I can't tell with the pictures.

That would harken back to Steve Jobs and NXT computers, where he anodixed the screws in the case black as well, even when they would not be seen.

However the white is also sexy........

I have a feeling I will be buying one of my phones at full price......

• Reply 66 of 392
    captain j wrote: »
    Let's see the real life benchmarks before just accepting the speed claims. I'd like to see the benchmarks against the latest Android and Windows 8 phones.

Considering the 4S, despite being long in the tooth, is still competitive with the latest and greatest Android phones, and considering this is 2x as fast as that, Id reckon the odds are good it takes the top spot. History backs that view up too, as it usually requires at least 6-8 months for Android to pass iOS on speed.

Don't forget, Android needs considerably more resources to be buttery smooth as opposed to iOS.
  • Reply 67 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchingnumber View Post

Tired looking design - a bit like the Range Rover refined and functional but tired looking and out of touch with the new boys on the block.  Taller ? what happened to the scroll bar - doesn't that do the same thing. Iconic - isn't that a fanciful way for saying 'old'. Apple do yourself a favor and license the software to Samsung, Motorola, LG and HTC so we can get something new and you get to keep your cash generating eco system.

AGAIN, it looks just like an iMac.

It is a cohesive drawing together of all of apple's consumer devices.

the fully laminated screen? iMac

the holes on the bottom for speakers? iMac

• Reply 67 of 392

I was actually thinking about jumping ship from Android but I can't justify it if this iphone 5 does everything the 4S does... It's the same phone...

• Reply 69 of 392
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Ah, the trolls are out from under their rocks today. Must mean winter is near.
  • Reply 70 of 392
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

I think you're reasoning is rather out of whack. Almost ALL premium Android phones have tossed that 4" specs to their back storage room, never heard from again..., and so far there wasn't anyone who bought the bigger screen Android phone by choice complained about its usability or its fumbling out of a hand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Well,  give me an example of

• Any 4" Android usable with single hand?

• Reply 71 of 392
    modemode Posts: 163member
    pendergast wrote: »
    Define disaster. You're mad because it doesn't light up with blinking lights or something?
    The design follows the lead of all other Apple products. Minimalist. Metal and glass.

It's a poor form factor. Steve rejected designs like this in the past.
    One has to wonder if the recent law suites against Samsung for patenting the rectangle, didn't have more to do with this design choice then anything else??? And i bet the blogosphere will be lit up with that exact question.
    - they couldn't take the obvious evolutionary step of widening and increasing screen size as it would mimic Samsung.

This phone is a cry for help - 'help, we are out of ideas and our culture of innovation is being sapped by our uninspiring leader'.

I smell a new CEO in the very near future.
  • Reply 72 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don't pretend you can ignore software. If spec whoring is all you care about, go buy an Android phone. A 1.5GHz processor won't help you use Android well.

You missed the point, which is that the iPhone 5's new features are items that Android has already had for the past year, and in some cases, longer.

• Reply 73 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

So to go from 16gb to 32gb on the iPod Touch it's $50

To do the exact same thing on the new iPhone it's $100

Ok.......?

These are products aimed to different kind of costumer. You charge what the customer is willing to pay for the upgrade, not what the actual upgrade cost. Apple has always charged premium upgrade prices anyway so there is nothing new here...

• Reply 74 of 392
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

Another choice stupid comment. Laptops are not changing and evolving at the rate and scale smartphones are.  In the smartphone world tech and devices are growing in leaps and bounds. Apple seems to have left that world and joined the incremental update world. That was fine with the 4S, but now it's the third phone without major changes that lead with new features, and I'm not talking about the design of the exterior. They follow behind Android by a year or more.

So why don't you fill us in on the "leaps and bounds" between the Galaxy S 2 and the Galaxy S III?

Same 8 megapixel camera, check.

Updated screen resolution, hmm Apple did that with the 3GS to 4 over two years ago.

More cores in a faster processor, hmm 4 to 4S over a year ago.

Yawn, can't think of much else.

Why don't you go away, your comments are boring, shill like garbage.

• Reply 75 of 392

It's a great phone and probably the best built phone on the market. Specs are top notch. The excitement just isn't there like it used to be. I foresee incremental upgrades from here on for all phones. What more can you shove in a phone?

• Reply 76 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

An underwhelming phone if I've ever seen one. 

As has been pointed out, there is nothing in this phone that has not existed in Android for a year at least.

OS is still looking the same.  The minor upgrades to Apple's apps duplicate Apps that have been available for years and are mostly free.

Slightly longer screen - Meh.

LTE, again out for years on Android.

Battery Life - lower end of the smartphones.

As an Apple user since the 80's I must say I am disappointed. 

Yes, I will probably buy this as I've invested so much in the Apple environment, however, I do think the number of new iPhone adopters will plummet.  This phone's hardware is behind most Android phones and unless you're invested in the Apple Apps world, there is little motivation to join it.

This is exactly how I feel.

• Reply 77 of 392
    shidell wrote: »

Don't say iOS.

I asked you.

Also, considering Apple dominates mindshare and the iPhone is almost always the best selling device, it's remains the "it" device to which everything will be and should be compared.

So how will Android exceed it?

I expect to see a laundry list of specs that are utterly meaningless. It's all about the marriage of hardware and software. You saying "don't say iOS" proves you don't get it. If it didn't matter, explain how a similarly spec'd Android phone will lose to the iPhone every day?

And Android hasn't "had this for the past year". Considering the 4S was easily the best smartphone when it was released, and this is considerably better, your logic fails.
  • Reply 78 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Verizon has a meaningful network, so I think there's your decision. And LTE out the wazoo.

Did the research on that already.

The real issue is what network options you have when you are not in LTE range.

With Verizon it's back to old CDMA networks.

Sprint I will admit I never considered.......

AT&T at least gives you Edge (being phased out), HDSPA, HDSPA+, and then LTE.

I decided to stay with AT&T, based solely on my network bandwidth coverage options.

• Reply 79 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

It's a great phone and probably the best built phone on the market. Specs are top notch. The excitement just isn't there like it used to be. I foresee incremental upgrades from here on for all phones. What more can you shove in a phone?

Look to Microsoft to make Windows fit on a phone entirely, and allow you to dock it to a tablet enclosure or a PC dockstation.

It's pretty clear that "Metro" or "Modern UI" or whatever is their bridge, and Windows Phone 8 is already running the Windows 8 RT Kernel.

• Reply 80 of 392
    pendergast wrote: »
    And what do you, in all your wisdom, think most consumers expected that wasn't provided?
    Unless you like gigantic phones that require cargo pants to pocket them, what does an Android phone have that this doesn't? What killer feature hardware wise is this missing that will be released in the next year?
    Don't say NFC.

The greatness of Apple and Jobs was their ability to innovate beyond our wisdom. If we're reduced to giving our ideas of what Apple should be innovating, they're behind the 8 ball.

When the first iPhone came out Jobs said he had a 5 year head start. That 5 years is up, and the iPhone 5 today is nowhere close to the innovation the first iPhone was in its day.