Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE

Comments

• Reply 81 of 392
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't like that through all the nonsensical and incorrect reasons for which people are claiming (pretending, or otherwise) they'll leave Apple, I seem to be the only one to know the valid one and who won't… yet.

Most of them are probably sitting in a room in India, copying from a list on a blackboard and getting paid 2 rupees a post.

I wonder if astroturfing has been outsourced?

• Reply 82 of 392

The iPhone 5 unveiling has already hit the mainstream news outlets, complete with reactions. 

It's an understatement to say the reaction was very favourable. 

This will be HUGE. 

• Reply 83 of 392
    shidell wrote: »
    You missed the point, which is that the iPhone 5's new features are items that Android has already had for the past year, and in some cases, longer.

And you miss the point that these features are added to everything that already made and iPhone, and iPhone. Android had to rely on these features to say "yeah, but... look what I can do!" What are they doing now that we should look?
  • Reply 84 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Well,  give me an example of

• Any Android with both LTE and dual WiFi band?

• Any Android 7.6mm thin (including camera part)

• Any 4" Android usable with single hand?

Any Android with all items above combined?

My Sammy G2 Skyrocket is both LTE and dual WiFi band, 9.5mm, and easily used with one hand. So 2 out of 3 for a phone that's almost a year old.

• Reply 85 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why would it? Not every release is or is meant to be revolutionary over evolutionary.

Well, if the specs are lesser than what's generally available, then it's not even evolutionary.

• Reply 85 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ah, the trolls are out from under their rocks today. Must mean winter is near.

So is that how you become a moderator here?  Discourage and ridicule the expression of any views that contrast your own?  People are making very valid points as to why this hardware upgrade is underwhelming...that is not trolling.

• Reply 87 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I asked you.

Also, considering Apple dominates mindshare and the iPhone is almost always the best selling device, it's remains the "it" device to which everything will be and should be compared.

So how will Android exceed it?

I expect to see a laundry list of specs that are utterly meaningless. It's all about the marriage of hardware and software. You saying "don't say iOS" proves you don't get it. If it didn't matter, explain how a similarly spec'd Android phone will lose to the iPhone every day?

And Android hasn't "had this for the past year". Considering the 4S was easily the best smartphone when it was released, and this is considerably better, your logic fails.

Is your brain failing you today?

What's new in the iPhone 5? A taller screen? LTE support?

Once again, all of these items have been present in an Android device for a year. Look up the Galaxy Nexus.

I don't know what you're talking about with a "similarly spec'd Android phone losing to the iPhone every day" statement. Sales? Features? What, exactly, is your point there?

• Reply 88 of 392

Quote:

And you miss the point that these features are added to everything that already made and iPhone, and iPhone. Android had to rely on these features to say "yeah, but... look what I can do!" What are they doing now that we should look?

So now, catching up (which they don't do with the iPhone 4SL) is good enough? Apple doesn't need to be ahead of the curve anymore?

• Reply 89 of 392
    captain j wrote: »
    The greatness of Apple and Jobs was their ability to innovate beyond our wisdom. If we're reduced to giving our ideas of what Apple should be innovating, they're behind the 8 ball.
    When the first iPhone came out Jobs said he had a 5 year head start. That 5 years is up, and the iPhone 5 today is nowhere close to the innovation the first iPhone was in its day.

It's not possible to radically change a product every cycle or every other cycle. The future of the iPhone is software and allowing third parties more resources to make revolutionary apps.

Where's the innovation in the PC world, even with Jobs? It comes rarely and in waves. You get things like thinner and retina displays. More speed.
  • Reply 90 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The iPhone 5 unveiling has already hit the mainstream news outlets, complete with reactions. 

It's an understatement to say the reaction was very favourable. 

This will be HUGE. 

lol, you're clearly not looking at the same news outlets I am.

HUGE is right. HUGE disappointment.

• Reply 91 of 392

It seems a fairly underwhelming upgrade. But, like the man back on page zero said it's still an iPhone.

Therefore it'll be up there as one of, if not the best phone on release.

• Reply 92 of 392

Quote:

And what do you, in all your wisdom, think most consumers expected that wasn't provided?

Unless you like gigantic phones that require cargo pants to pocket them, what does an Android phone have that this doesn't? What killer feature hardware wise is this missing that will be released in the next year?

Don't say NFC.

No, I won't say NFC. NFC is already available in a lot of Android phones...

• Reply 93 of 392
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

The Lumia 920 [will be my next phone, BTW] has a marginally bigger but optimal 8.7 Megapixel but with F/2.0. And, if Nokia is telling "the truth nothing but the truth", the optical technology in Lumia 920 will be much more superior than the one in Iphone 5. 

p.s. It appears you're gonna get your Iphone 5 one day earlier than the rest of them in the States..., again. Congrats...

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

What, like Samsung did with the Galaxy S 2 to the Galaxy S III, oh hang on, 8 Megapixel, the same, oh, oh I know like HTC did from the Sensation to the Ine X... damn, same 8 Megapixel, well so much for camera upgrades from the main opposition.

• Reply 94 of 392
    modemode Posts: 163member
    It's a great phone and probably the best built phone on the market. Specs are top notch. The excitement just isn't there like it used to be. I foresee incremental upgrades from here on for all phones. What more can you shove in a phone?

I agree it's a great hand-held device and hopefully well built.
    I also agree that the excitement is gone - and that was the love and polish Steve Jobs added.

Tim is a good numbers guy, but an innovative, creative and inspiring CEO he is not.
    This is one of the first non-Steve designs and it shows.
    Apple needs some new blood and mostly, a new visionary leader.
  • Reply 95 of 392

Im quite disappointed with the iPhone 5, but as a die-hard Apple fanboy - I'll still pick one up, but not on it's launch date though.

• Reply 96 of 392

what time will they start pre orders on the East Coast from Verizon anyone know? 

thanks

• Reply 97 of 392

So.. by far the fastest phone.

by far the best graphics.

by far the simplest and more fast/stableOS.

amazing 8h battery while browsing with LTE

ligther and thinner

great screen.

people complain.

• Reply 98 of 392
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Rather, what does this have, that an Android phone hasn't for the last year?

Don't say iOS.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first non krait based A15 out there. That in itself should make this an interesting phone if for nothing else to see how well A15 stacks up to A9.

I'm overdue for an upgrade, but I'm planning on waiting until November to see if Google announces a new nexus before pulling the trigger.
  • Reply 99 of 392
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Everybody fawns over the 3GS to 4 leap. What did that bring?

Metal instead of glass

Retina display

2x as fast

How do you beat metal and glass? You replace the glass back with metal and defy radio science by still allowing signal to escape the shell.

How do you beat the retina display? You can't. Well, you can make it bigger and with better color.

So what how does the 4S to 5 leap stack up?

Metal back instead of glass back

Bigger Retina display with better color

2x as fast

Seems like a wash to me. The visible leap for plastic to metal and low-res to retina is always going to color opinions.

What more did you expect? What more is possible? Eventually you get to the point of diminishing returns.

Hey, Apple has to "keep up" with Samsung, they leapt from cheap plastic back on the Galaxy S 2 to PAINTED cheap plastic back on the Galaxy S III, now that must be the sort of thing all these whiners keep harping on about.

• Reply 100 of 392
    Is your brain failing you today?

What's new in the iPhone 5? A taller screen? LTE support?

Once again, all of these items have been present in an Android device for a year. Look up the Galaxy Nexus.

I don't know what you're talking about with a "similarly spec'd Android phone losing to the iPhone every day" statement. Sales? Features? What, exactly, is your point there?

I was referring to performance. Android phones require higher clocked and juiced up processors to even compete.

What's new? Metal back, bigger display, twice as fast, LTE, thinner, battery life, fast wifi, etc.

And Android phones relied on the missing features of "LTE" and "bigger screens". Now that there's an even playing field, Android has to stand on its own merits as an OS against iOS and the iPhones other unique features.

By way of a football analogy: Let's say your favorite team has an elite offense but only a serviceable defense. In the offseason you bring in several big time free agents and now you have an elite defense to go with the elite offense.

A rival team goes "so what, we've had an elite defense for years" while ignoring the point that it's being combined with the already elite offense.

Apple plugged any of the holes that were holding the iPhone back.