Apple to launch iOS 6 on Wednesday, Sept. 19

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The next major update to Apple's mobile operating system, iOS 6, will be available for the public to download and install in one week, on Wednesday, Sept. 19.

iOS 6 will be available for the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, new iPad, iPad 2 and fourth generation iPod touch.

Supported hardware for iOS 6
Source: ArsTechnica

It launches two days before the iPhone 5 is set to go on sale.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27

Yep, nothing on the developer page yet.  

• Reply 2 of 27
    I wonder how many people will put off to upgrade with the supposedly lack of Street View & ad-free YouTube. Some got quite 'upset' about those removals. Although Apple stated Googles' contract expired and they didn't renew, IIRC.

Will the download of iOS6 for current iPhones be less, percentage-wise, compared to iOS5?
  • Reply 3 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I wonder how many people will put off to upgrade with the supposedly lack of Street View & ad-free YouTube. Some got quite 'upset' about those removals. Although Apple stated Googles' contract expired and they didn't renew, IIRC.
    Will the download of iOS6 for current iPhones be less, percentage-wise, compared to iOS5?

With the vast majority of mobile traffic coming from Apple devices Google have no choice I would have thought but to make apps for anything missing in iOS6 and pray people download them.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I wonder if the 4s will gain Panorama after update to iOS 6?
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Any developers out there know how iOS 6 performs on an iPhone 3GS? What features have been left out? Does it feel cumbersome and irritating like iOS 5 does for me right now, or is it optimized for speed on a 3GS?
  • Reply 6 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

According to this it will:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/compare

However, I suspect it may be a mistake - much like where they seem to have the model numbers mixed up here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

• Reply 7 of 27
    Unless I missed something, I wish they talked more about car manufacturers and siri, I would love to have this feature in my Audi. But either way I can't wait for IOS 6. The other thing that I was hoping for was some type of case or smart cover for the new phone. Seems like revenue they are missing out on and until other manufacturers get there hands on the device, they won't be able to start making cases.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Well, I'm excited. Anyone can link any article about what's new in iOS6 for new iPad?
  • Reply 9 of 27

Originally Posted by Andrey View Post

Well, I'm excited. Anyone can link any article about what's new in iOS6 for new iPad?

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/

Been up since WWDC.

• Reply 10 of 27
    Page not found, tallest, but thanks for the effort. For some reason app store also stared when I clicked on link. Interesting.
  • Reply 11 of 27

Originally Posted by Andrey View Post

Page not found, tallest, but thanks for the effort. For some reason app store also stared when I clicked on link. Interesting.

I have no idea what was on the end of that, but it wasn't there when I copied. 

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/

Works now.

• Reply 12 of 27

guys, is there a chance that the iPhone 4 gets siri or isn't it even possible due to lack of hardware?

• Reply 13 of 27
    philboogie wrote: »

With the vast majority of mobile traffic coming from Apple devices Google have no choice I would have thought but to make apps for anything missing in iOS6 and pray people download them.

They did release a YouTube app, but I haven't seen the Maps app.

That's a valid question: from the image on Apple's website it looks like the photo app remains 4:3 on the screen and the extra pixels on tNi (the New iPhone) are used for the shutter button and landscape slider for still/video camera setting.

• Reply 14 of 27

Originally Posted by applephil View Post

guys, is there a chance that the iPhone 4 gets siri or isn't it even possible due to lack of hardware?

It's completely possible. It won't be happening.

• Reply 15 of 27
    I'm running the iOS6 GM on my iPhone 4 and it's a major disappointment. It's missing a LOT of features that could run on the hardware but Apple decided to leave out to force people to upgrade.

Well, they got their wish. I'm going to upgrade... but not to iPhone 5. I've had it with their bullshit tactics. I'm getting either the Nokia Lumnia 920 or the Samsung ATIV S, both running Windows Phone 8. And hopefully droping AT&T for Tmobile. Can't wait till Xmas!
  • Reply 16 of 27

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

I've had it with their bullshit tactics.

But you're going to a system that does it even worse, so I'm not sure if this is hypocrisy or just ignorance.

• Reply 17 of 27
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

I'm running the iOS6 GM on my iPhone 4 and it's a major disappointment. It's missing a LOT of features that could run on the hardware but Apple decided to leave out to force people to upgrade.

Well, they got their wish. I'm going to upgrade... but not to iPhone 5. I've had it with their bullshit tactics. I'm getting either the Nokia Lumnia 920 or the Samsung ATIV S, both running Windows Phone 8. And hopefully droping AT&T for Tmobile. Can't wait till Xmas!

Yeah, wouldn't it be great if every company just gave you the product of their labor for free every year? How dare they give us only some of the new functionality for free. Absolutely everything should be free.

• Reply 18 of 27
    It's 2:48pm, Wed 19th September in Ireland. Still no sign of iOS 6.
  • Reply 19 of 27
  • Reply 20 of 27
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member

1:15 eastern time... downloading now.

Estimated time: 9 minutes.