Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE

Comments

• Reply 101 of 392
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member

Love the new look, can't wait to try out the new headphones, and give some of the new games a whirl on it when they're released.  Not disappointed at all.

• Reply 102 of 392
    mode wrote: »
    I agree it's a great hand-held device and hopefully well built.
    I also agree that the excitement is gone - and that was the love and polish Steve Jobs added.
    Tim is a good numbers guy, but an innovative, creative and inspiring CEO he is not.
    This is one of the first non-Steve designs and it shows.
    Apple needs some new blood and mostly, a new visionary leader.

This phone has been in the pipeline since well before Jobs died.

We haven't yet seen a post-Jobs iPhone and probably won't for another 2 years.
  • Reply 103 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

BTW, this has nothing to do with how the case looks. I don't need the worlds thinnest smartphone. How about a little thicker and the worlds best battery life. 

Ok, let's see at the best of the Android world in the battery department:

http://www.slashgear.com/motorola-droid-razr-hd-and-maxx-hd-hands-on-video-05246150/

while the awesome RAZR MAXX HD comes with a 3,300 mAh battery life that promises 21 hours of talk time, 13 hours of video playback or eight hours of web browsing

While 21 talk time looks impressive for those who really want to cook their brains, the browser time is the SAME 8 hours!

So fat big Motorola phone with twice as fat battery than iPhone's has the same browser time and just 30% more video playback?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

How about a little wider screen. The whole one hand thing is way overblown both in terms of fact and how often it even applies.

I know you fandroids will never stop increasing you phone dimensions (compensating something?). The sky is the limit if you really do not care you can't use with one hand.

So what's the next? Why stopping at 5"+.  Why not to use 7" tablets as your phone? Sure they are usable with two hands.

• Reply 104 of 392
    More negativity than I expected. The iPhone (and the smartphone revolution it inspired) is starting to stabilize and move into a period of refinement rather than door-busting new features. I see a lot of people whining that the iPhone 5 didn't wow' them but they're not mentioning what features they wanted for that wow-factor to take place. For years I've had some various ideas about what I wanted to see from new Apple hardware but I've pretty much run out of ideas as well. Now it is just polishing them up, gradually evolving them, and gradually evolving the software to do more and more.

Someone complained that it lacks a 'wider' screen. No thanks on that, I like being able to comfortably reach my thumb across the phone without having to change my hand position. That probably won't be possible anymore without a little bit of vertical movement, but that won't be as big a deal as horizontal movement. Some people have bigger hands and could comfortably use a little more screen width but there are plenty with smaller hands who could not. Apple would have to introduce additional versions. In any case, I'm pretty sure that people whining for something like a wider screen really just don't get Apple. They're designing a product that is comfortable for everyone (and not everyone wants a huge electronic device glued to the side of their head and bulging in their pocket).

Someone complained about sub-standard battery life for a smartphone. That's just false.

I'm more interested in revolutionary new ideas that would have inspired that 'wow' factor, or made a competing device so much more 'wow' than the iPhone. Instead it just seems like a bunch of people justifying their beliefs for their own individual platform choice (which we see plenty of in relation to Apple as well, here). Also, the folks who shop on a checklist—"8 MP camera? Check."—there are plenty of manufacturers who don't care about quality and execution but which are happy to check of every mark on a person's list. "3D Interface? Check." I care more about the quality and how much of a delight it actually is to use the device.

And I agree. This wasn't a through-and-through 'wow' iPhone, and I'm not so sure we'll see that again anytime soon. We won't be seeing it from their competitors anytime soon, either. (Maybe some of this has to do with people seeing the reveal before it takes place and then somehow still expecting to be wowed by a feature list they've already gradually been introduced to). For me, I think the time has come to pick a release point in the tick-tock process that Apple seems to be following and upgrade every other year, and I think the iPhone 5 is going to represent that point.
  • Reply 105 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I was referring to performance. Android phones require higher clocked and juiced up processors to even compete.

What's new? Metal back, bigger display, twice as fast, LTE, thinner, battery life, fast wifi, etc.

And Android phones relied on the missing features of "LTE" and "bigger screens". Now that there's an even playing field, Android has to stand on its own merits as an OS against iOS and the iPhones other unique features.

By way of a football analogy: Let's say your favorite team has an elite offense but only a serviceable defense. In the offseason you bring in several big time free agents and now you have an elite defense to go with the elite offense.

A rival team goes "so what, we've had an elite defense for years" while ignoring the point that it's being combined with the already elite offense.

Apple plugged any of the holes that were holding the iPhone back.

Which begs the question, if the iPhone is just now catching up, what's enticing anyone to switch? Or rather, what's encouraging them to stay?

• Reply 106 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchingnumber View Post

Tired looking design - a bit like the Range Rover refined and functional but tired looking and out of touch with the new boys on the block.  Taller ? what happened to the scroll bar - doesn't that do the same thing. Iconic - isn't that a fanciful way for saying 'old'. Apple do yourself a favor and license the software to Samsung, Motorola, LG and HTC so we can get something new and you get to keep your cash generating eco system.

Yea sorry, but I don't want my phone to be made out of cheap plastic. Honestly, you can't even put that junk in the same league as Apples Hardware. If you think the S3 looks better then this, then you simply have no taste. It's not really your fault, as most men don't.

• Reply 107 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

The Lumia 920 [will be my next phone, BTW] has a marginally bigger but optimal 8.7 Megapixel but with F/2.0. And, if Nokia is telling "the truth nothing but the truth", the optical technology in Lumia 920 will be much more superior than the one in Iphone 5. 

p.s. It appears you're gonna get your Iphone 5 one day earlier than the rest of them in the States..., again. Congrats...

When you really compare the iPhone 4S and 920 cameras, they have the same pixel size and same pixel count.  So while branded as 8.7 over 8, they are the same.

Where the Lumia is better (by datasheet) is F/2.0 over F/2.4 and the hardware optical image stabilization which will help in all situations too.

Will be interesting to see side by side shots when they are both in the market place.

edit: corrected spelling

• Reply 108 of 392
    blitz1 wrote: »
    No, I won't say NFC. NFC is already available in a lot of Android phones...

And it's a huge security flaw. And there's a good chance a better technology will replace it, one that doesn't require a massive infrastructure investment to get the ball rolling.

People clamoring for NFC sound just like the people shouting for e-SATA.
  • Reply 109 of 392

Removed
  • Reply 110 of 392
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Wow!!! I didn't think Ives would drop the ball so soon after Steve's passing.

Samsung and Motto are light years ahead of Apple now in the design department.

Tech specs are somewhat solid, and iOS 6 had better be good because thats the only thing this design disaster has going for it.

Is Ives completely out of ideas???

LOL, This phone was designed by Steve Jobs so you can save your hollow "disappointment".

Whether there'll be an "ideas" drought is over the horizon.

• Reply 111 of 392

Oh crap ... we're back to the multiple models again

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

there are 3 different LTE models of the iPhone 5 .... this is not good, especially as you end up guessing which one your provider might use (if they have yet to roll out LTE)

In the UK apple's own slides showed O2 as a carrier, yet O2 has no LTE yet, and is not listed on the LTE page

• Reply 112 of 392

The latest Airs are a triumph of design, by far the most beautiful laptops on the planet...they could stay the same for a century and still be lovely. The iPhone 3 was lovely too, the iPhone4 was clunky and ugly and this is just about the same...but taller and clunky and ugly. We have to wait for the resolved smartphone design, but it looks as if Apple have given up trying to lead the way and will leave the experiments to others. Its a sad day.

• Reply 113 of 392
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    shidell 2012/09/12 01:42pm
    Where's the wow factor?

This is pretty tired. Everything Samsung's "incorporating" has been in an idevice for almost 5 years now, in some cases longer.

tftfy :-)
  • Reply 114 of 392

Quote:

And it's a huge security flaw. And there's a good chance a better technology will replace it, one that doesn't require a massive infrastructure investment to get the ball rolling.

If it were a huge security flaw my Discover and Visa credit cards would not have had it for the past year. Its hugely overblown. Security is a red herring argument for why the iPhone doesn't have NFC. The reason is Apple wants to find a way to profit from it directly.

• Reply 115 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

People are making very valid points

Except that the vast majority of points commonly pulled out against Apple, usually aren't. 

The facts tend to have a pro-Apple bias. Just the way things are these days. 

• Reply 116 of 392

It wasn't designed by Steve Jobs, don't be naive.

• Reply 117 of 392
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Yes, getting my pocket electronically "picked" isn't an option I'm ever going to voluntarily choose. The one time my bank issued me an NFC bankcard it got cut in half immediately and I requested they send my one without that. Like the early versions of the electronic passport where a thief just had to walk by with the right scanner and lift everything in it....

• Reply 118 of 392

Well...

The market didn't like the Foo Birds...

Apple dropped $3 and change when the began to play...

• Reply 119 of 392
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    According to the tech specs on Apple.com the iPhone 5 comes in 3 models... 2 GSM and 1 CDMA model for the different worldwide frequencies.
  • Reply 120 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinesteve View Post

The latest Airs are a triumph of design, by far the most beautiful laptops on the planet...they could stay the same for a century and still be lovely. The iPhone 3 was lovely too, the iPhone4 was clunky and ugly and this is just about the same...but taller and clunky and ugly. We have to wait for the resolved smartphone design, but it looks as if Apple have given up trying to lead the way and will leave the experiments to others. Its a sad day.

iPhone 4 and 4S have led the way in customer satisfaction. This is documented.  Most consumers thought the design was beautiful.