Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE

Comments

• Reply 121 of 392
    shidell wrote: »
    Which begs the question, if the iPhone is just now catching up, what's enticing anyone to switch? Or rather, what's encouraging them to stay?

I'm guessing you're football illiterate.

Do you honestly think the 4S lacked ANY advantages over Android competition?

What makes an iPhone an iPhone is the intangible: the user experience, the ecosystem, the intuitive design, etc.

When you take that and combine it with everything it was missing, you have an even better product that's hard to compete with. Even without those features, the iPhone 4S was hard to compete with. What are Android OEMs going to do now that they can't hang their hat on having a 4" screen and LTE? They're going to have to come out with better marketing buzzwords. What's in the pipeline?
  • Reply 122 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJWilkin View Post

Oh crap ... we're back to the multiple models again

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

there are 3 different LTE models of the iPhone 5 .... this is not good, especially as you end up guessing which one your provider might use (if they have yet to roll out LTE)

In the UK apple's own slides showed O2 as a carrier, yet O2 has no LTE yet, and is not listed on the LTE page

Verizon seems like the only choice. It works everywhere besides US AT&T. Plus they give you free tethering and facetime?

Time to switch.

• Reply 123 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

Yes, getting my pocket electronically "picked" isn't an option I'm ever going to voluntarily choose. The one time my bank issued me an NFC bankcard it got cut in half immediately and I requested they send my one without that. Like the early versions of the electronic passport where a thief just had to walk by with the right scanner and lift everything in it....

You are worse off entering a credit card number on an wifi network than someone hacking your NFC on your credit card or phone. Phones are safer. They disable transmission of data out until a password is entered.

• Reply 124 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinesteve View Post

The latest Airs are a triumph of design, by far the most beautiful laptops on the planet...they could stay the same for a century and still be lovely. The iPhone 3 was lovely too, the iPhone4 was clunky and ugly and this is just about the same...but taller and clunky and ugly. We have to wait for the resolved smartphone design, but it looks as if Apple have given up trying to lead the way and will leave the experiments to others. Its a sad day.

Yea we could all listen to your (uninformed) opinion, or we could listen to what people who actually held the phone say...here I'll start

We just got our hands on Apple's latest smartphone following its unveiling in San Francisco, and suffice it to say, it's a beautiful thing. - Engadget

• Reply 125 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Which begs the question, if the iPhone is just now catching up, what's enticing anyone to switch? Or rather, what's encouraging them to stay?

Ecosystem. Nobody does it better than Apple. That is their greatest asset.

• Reply 126 of 392
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Rather, what does this have, that an Android phone hasn't for the last year?

Don't say iOS.

iOS.

Dominance in customer satisfaction ratings.

LIGHTENING and dual band wifi.

Maps like Symbian Nokia had before the first Android phone was released.

One thing it doesn't have is an entourage of paid shills making ridiculous comments beating up fantasies of what it DOESN'T have, again..

...FIVE years of trashy comments like yours is SO mind numbingly BORING  ????????????

Hey why don't you go get a Galaxy note you can poke it with a stick, watch out you don't walk into poles while talking on that thing and don't poke anyone with your elbow..

• Reply 127 of 392

Originally Posted by PJWilkin View Post

Oh crap ... we're back to the multiple models again

there are 3 different LTE models of the iPhone 5 .... this is not good, especially as you end up guessing which one your provider might use (if they have yet to roll out LTE)

Originally Posted by Booga View Post

According to the tech specs on Apple.com the iPhone 5 comes in 3 models... 2 GSM and 1 CDMA model for the different worldwide frequencies.

That bothers me. Why can't they just commission the creation of their own chip that handles everything?

• Reply 128 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That bothers me. Why can't they just commission the creation of their own chip that handles everything?

Collusion with the US operators?

• Reply 129 of 392

Here's the crux for me, they are touting better battery life and LTE and thinner...that's all thanks to Qualcomm's radio and R&D - not Apple. Move to Cortex A15 (excellent, but again ARM Holdings R&D, produced by Samsung) Their biggest R&D moves in the last year are the in-cell digitizer and audio/mic changes. That's about all I see. The camera is somewhat Apple, but mostly Sony. There's STILL nothing wrong with this world class device. It just would have been nice to have some ace in the hole/one-more-thing moment. 

Also the iPod Nano looks fantastic.

• Reply 130 of 392

By far the most important feature -- the choice of LTE bands on the different versions of the phone.  Verizon, Sprint and potentially US Cellular customers will be delighted -- all current and future LTE spectrum on these carriers is represented along with a healthy dollop of international coverage, a feature that simply isn't replicated on any Android device at present.  AT&T and potentially T-Mobile customers have been screwed.  Only the lower 700MHz band and AWS LTE spectrum are on the phone and inexplicably the international frequencies are left off entirely, a situation that additionally leaves the iPhone without any hardware advantages over Android on these carriers.  Honestly, it's beyond a slap in the face to the US GSM side; it's bizarre.  It doesn't make any sense.  

Apple may as well try their level best to come up with a single version that supports all seven LTE bands in this release.  One sort of wonders why they didn't do it already.  Maybe AT&T has some kind of fiendish contract with them?

• Reply 130 of 392

Haven't read any of the posts yet...

But there were some unresolved (avoided?) issues that they kinda' danced around:

• 802.11ac

• Late October iTunes release

• iOS 6 Developer update

Looks as if there needs to be some co-ordination/synchronization with iPads and iMacs to be released.

Final Cut Pro X is due for and update.

Most compelling new things were iPad Nano and Touch.

Edit:  Jumped the gun on iOS 6 Developer update

• Reply 132 of 392
    IPhone 5? Did not see this coming.
  • Reply 133 of 392
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

In your own hemisphere perhaps, but in the other hemisphere, it's actually summer that is near. You can ask "hill60" if you don't believe me.... While at it, you can ask him when he flushes his toilet whether the water flow clockwise or counter-clockwise..., and compare it to what you see when you do...

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ah, the trolls are out from under their rocks today. Must mean winter is near.

• Reply 134 of 392

Not Universal. Only the 1428 model works on AT&T's network. The 1429 model supports CDMA and GSM outside of the US/Canada. Disappointing. Is the problem technical or legal/political/contractual? The bands covered for GSM are different between 1428 and 1429.

I was hoping for real universality.

• Reply 135 of 392
    nexusphan wrote: »
    If it were a huge security flaw my Discover and Visa credit cards would not have had it for the past year. Its hugely overblown. Security is a red herring argument for why the iPhone doesn't have NFC. The reason is Apple wants to find a way to profit from it directly.

Not sure about credit cards, but several security flaws have been found in Android's implementation.
  • Reply 136 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Here's the crux for me, they are touting better battery life and LTE and thinner...that's all thanks to Qualcomm's radio and R&D - not Apple. Move to Cortex A15 (excellent, but again ARM Holdings R&D, produced by Samsung) Their biggest R&D moves in the last year are the in-cell digitizer and audio/mic changes. That's about all I see. The camera is somewhat Apple, but mostly Sony. There's STILL nothing wrong with this world class device. It just would have been nice to have some ace in the hole/one-more-thing moment. 

Also the iPod Nano looks fantastic.

In cell touch displays in phones were previously announced by LG and other Android manufacturers in the last few months. That was not Apple R&D either. There is not a lot of real innovation from Apple here. It's suppliers innovation? Absolutely.

• Reply 137 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Well,  give me an example of

• Any Android with both LTE and dual WiFi band?

• Any Android 7.6mm thin (including camera part)

• Any 4" Android usable with single hand?

Any Android with all items above combined?

as an example, the Galaxy S II (released around eighteen months ago back in February 2011) has LTE and dual-band WiFi (2.4 and 5Ghz) and sports a relatively large screen which is quite usable.  it's about 0.9 mm thicker than the iPhone 5, however.  another example is the HTC EVO 4G LTE, released earlier this year.  it also has LTE and dual-band WiFi, a large screen, and is around 1 mm thicker than the iPhone 5.  and, there are probably several more examples.

the iPhone 5 looks pretty good; i may get one soon.

• Reply 138 of 392
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Is your brain failing you today?

What's new in the iPhone 5? A taller screen? LTE support?

Once again, all of these items have been present in an Android device for a year. Look up the Galaxy Nexus.

I don't know what you're talking about with a "similarly spec'd Android phone losing to the iPhone every day" statement. Sales? Features? What, exactly, is your point there?

My Galaxy Nexus doesn't have LTE.

• Reply 139 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Exactly!  I'm beyond underwhelmed with this.  (I say that because I love Apple and know they can do so much better.)  This is a huge miss.  Saying they didn't go wider because you should be able to hold the phone is a cop out.  It's not as if people are dropping Androids and Windows phones left and right.  The fact is Apple got lazy.  25 months to stretch a phone????  Sorry, that's lame.  Yes, they'll have huge sales numbers but anyone not already locked into the Apple ecosystem now has a lot more to think about when getting their first smartphone.  If I did not already have so many Apple products I would not buy this.  But since I do...

Careful Shidell!  You'll be labeled an Android fanboy!  This is not the place for facts! ;)

And here it comes. It never fails. Each phone since the iPhone gets this. Great. You don't like it.  Move on and let everyone else delude themselves.

• Reply 140 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

One thing it doesn't have is an entourage of paid shills making ridiculous comments 

Is this what you'd consider yourself to be?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

My Galaxy Nexus doesn't have LTE.

Uh, right. Mine does.