Apple reinvents the iPod nano: 2.5" screen, home button, built-in Bluetooth

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The redesigned iPod nano has a 2.5-inch multi-touch display and features a tiny home button, just like on larger iOS devices, with integrated Bluetooth and the new smaller Lightning connector.

The new iPod nano is 5.4-millimeters thin, which is 38 percent thinner than its predecessor. It will be available in seven colors: aluminum, black, purple, green, blue, yellow and Product(red).

iPod Nano Colors
iPod Nano color swatch. | Source: Apple

iPod nano launches in October. It will cost $149 for a 16-gigabyte model. The iPod shuffle will also remain available for $49 in a 2-gigabyte model.

The iPod nano still features an FM tuner with DVR-like functionality for pausing and rewinding. It also has a built-in pedometer with support for Nike+ integration.

Nano Video
2.5" widescreen multitouch iPod nano display
Source: Apple

Bluetooth is also built in to the device, which means audio can be streamed wirelessly from the iPod nano without any accessories.

Bluetooth
The iPod nano's Radio window located at bottom of device.

It also features Apple's new Lightning connector for iOS devices, which is also found on the iPhone 5.

Nano Lightning
The iPod nano will use Apple's new Lightning connector.

Apple promises 30 hours of music playback with the new iPod nano, which is the longest battery life of any nano to date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59

How long before the "Apple stole the design from Nokia" comments?

I don't like the white screen frame. Seems backward from all their other products.

• Reply 2 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't like the white screen frame. Seems backward from all their other products.

Love the white frame! Makes it looks different, fresh, and uniquely Apple.

By the way I think this would have been a perfect iPhone Nano. Beautiful functional design.

• Reply 3 of 59
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Mac Rumors has a picture of this device their web site.

• Reply 4 of 59

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

By the way I think this would have been a perfect iPhone Nano. Beautiful functional design.

Well, it's the 2.5" screen people were yelling about back then. Now they get to see exactly how it works in a device proper.

Doesn't white screw with color perception on the screen?

• Reply 5 of 59

My favorite announcment of the show(unfortunately almost everything had already been leaked about the iPhone 5).  Wasn't expecting this, and it seems like an absolutely perfect workout tool.  My only wishlist for the next upgrade would be to squeeze in a gps if possible, but this looks great.

• Reply 6 of 59

Quote:

Take a look at comments on Engadget.

• Reply 7 of 59
    I am VERY disappointed that they got rid of the "iWatch". Don't get me wrong, I like the new Nano's functionality. However, I would've liked to have seen the new Shuffle take the place of the former Nano with added bluetooth connectivity since they made the Nano bigger again. The only thing missing from the old Nano design was bluetooth, but instead they just axed the form factor completely.
  • Reply 8 of 59
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

I know I'll get slammed for this but i don't care.

Personally, There is nothing in this device that would inspire me to purchase.

Disappointed.

The design sucks, the white face-plate is godawful.  Really black is the only tolerable color.  It doesn't really even look like anything that Apple (team Ives) would have designed...like they took the previous nano...stretched it out and added a home button, which appears to have only one use.

I felt like the last few watch Nano's were a side step from the evolution of the Nano.  Much like the wide-body Gen 3.

There's still no way to quickly navigate without looking at the device (meaning no eyes-free operation), and it has far too little storage for my needs.  I was really hoping for the iPod Classic to converge with the iPod nano with this design.  The storage and eyes-free user-friendly operation of the Classic, mixed with the lightness and thinness of the nano.  This fails on many levels for my needs.  No 64gb option. No Wifi, No iTunes/iCloud sync.  No still/video camera.  Seems like a U-Turn and not a evolutionary one.

Seriously?  they put videos on a 16gb device?  That's like 8 movies and no music.  Or all my podcasts and no music.  Or 1/8 my entire music library and nothing else.

I guess i'll just have to go back out and replace my now-dead Classic with a new one before they discontinue it.

• Reply 9 of 59

They should make a lower storage model, add IR and sell it as a $79 Universal Remote.

• Reply 10 of 59
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member

This is the design that should have immediately followed after the last scroll-wheel nano (aside from the silly white face). It was obvious back then that the clip-on nano was a design mis-step. Glad they are back on track with the nano. (That said, I still think the scroll while nano was a better overall design; but if you insist on going to a touch screen, this is galaxies ahead of the previous touch screen nano.)

• Reply 11 of 59

Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

It was obvious back then that the clip-on nano was a design mis-step. Glad they are back on track with the nano. (That said, I still think the scroll while nano was a better overall design; but if you insist on going to a touch screen, this is galaxies ahead of the previous touch screen nano.)

The misstep that people absolutely love as a watch, you mean?

• Reply 12 of 59

it begs the question, why the hell have they done nothing to the Classic and why is it still for sale if they refuse to update it?

I am one of those (if you haven't noticed from my last post) that really want the classic mainly for it's eyes-free use with tactile control and it's massive storage.

I don't want the current one for $250 and I'd rather it have wifi/blutooth and all flash storage (64gb and up)

So my question to Apple is, why? and when?

I've already got an iPhone but want a dedicated music media player that holds my entire library.

Kind of reminds me of the situation with the Mac Pro.

• Reply 13 of 59

Quote:

The misstep that people absolutely love as a watch, you mean?

yep, they should have taken the Nano Watch, all a few more navigation buttons, lowered the storage to 4gb and called it the new shuffle.

Then they should have combined the 5th gen Nano with the current Gen Classic and called it the new Nano, Dropped the current CLassic.  The Touch is fine, but those colors!?!?  God-Awful!!!

And that strap?  what the heck was Team Ives thinking?

• Reply 14 of 59

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

And that strap?  what the heck was Team Ives thinking?

Horrible, horrible idea. The fact that it's a physical mechanism alone should have raised alarm bells. Guess they uninstalled them… 

• Reply 15 of 59

Long live the clip-on Nano! It's the perfect work-out device. Hopefully, the price of the clip-on Nano will drop when the new one's released. If so, I plan to buy a couple to use if/when my current one dies.

• Reply 16 of 59
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Uh, you're aware of the 3rd and 4th gen Nano? You know, that everyone compared the Nokia to when it launched? Apple pretty much replaced the scroll wheel with a home button, and changed the color of the screen frame. 

• Reply 17 of 59

Quote:

Yeah, I am not crazy about the double bezels either

• Reply 18 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Uh, you're aware of the 3rd and 4th gen Nano? You know, that everyone compared the Nokia to when it launched? Apple pretty much replaced the scroll wheel with a home button, and changed the color of the screen frame. 

Lest we forget, the Samsung trial revealed a rendering of an iPhone prototype looking like a larger version of this nano.

• Reply 19 of 59
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Horrible, horrible idea. The fact that it's a physical mechanism alone should have raised alarm bells. Guess they uninstalled them… 

Why is it a 'horrible, horrible' idea? Do you know how many kids own/use the touch? The strap isn't permanently attached to the device. For those that don't want it, don't use it. For those that find it useful, it's a huge benefit. Please, once in a while trying looking 2 inches past your own nose and how real, actual people in the physical worlds might use their devices before declaring things horrible and useless. Design is important, but so is function. In this case, I don't see how function compromises the design in the least. People like you expect Apple to innovate, yet whatever changes they make instantly get a negative knee jerk reaction. Unreal. 

• Reply 20 of 59
    I love the design and cant wait to buy one. I am not a designer just a shopper who loves the design. I think the addition of the battery life and how thin it is are a selling point. Although the colors seem to scream imac, i love the black and silver.