Apple releases iTunes 10.7 with support for iOS 6

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Ahead of a major overhaul to iTunes coming in late October, Apple on Wednesday released iTunes 10.7 with support for the soon-to-launch iOS 6.

iTunes 10.7 is now available to download from Apple's official website. It adds support for existing devices to be upgraded to iOS 6, and also supports the newly announced iPhone 5 and updated iPod touch and iPod nano.

Apple announced earlier Wednesday that iOS 6 will become publicly available next Wednesday, Sept. 19. It will be available for the iPHone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, new iPad, iPad 2, and fourth-generation iPod touch.

iTunes

iOS 6 will become available for existing devices two days before the new iPhone 5 is set to go on sale in the U.S. and a number of other markets.

Wednesday's 10.7 update of iTunes is just a stopgap before a more expansive overhaul is set to arrive later this year. The company also announced at Wednesday's iPhone 5 keynote that it will debut a "dramatically simpler" iTunes with a redesigned user interface at the end of October.

The new iTunes will feature a grid-driven interface that Apple says will make it easier for users to navigate. It will also have tighter integration with iCloud, including cloud-based, cross-device syncing of playback information on movies.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Said "Coming Soon", now it says "Free Download" but when I check for updates says 10.6.3 is the current version. Seems slow to propagate out.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    iTunes has needed a major overhaul for years, I hope they do a good job!
  • Reply 3 of 32
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxhead64 View Post

Says "Coming Soon".

That's the overhauled version, look top right of the page you're on and click download iTunes.

• Reply 4 of 32

Go directly to http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

It's there already.

• Reply 5 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

That's the overhauled version, look top right of the page you're on and click download iTunes.

It says it now, but when I check after reading the article it still said "Coming Soon" in blue.  The "Coming in October" version was/is below the 10.7 release in orange.

• Reply 6 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Thanks for pointing out that top-right "Download iTunes" gives one iTunes10.7.dmg . Unfortunately, iTunes 10.6.3 still states that it's the newest version (if I click on "check updates") and the Mac App Store shows nothing. weird performance.

EDIT: and now the apple.com/itunes changed to "download now". hmm.

• Reply 7 of 32

Requires an Intel mac. :( I know I really need to upgrade, but my beloved PowerMac G5 is still working perfectly! :)

• Reply 8 of 32
    jonyojonyo Posts: 117member
    iTunes 10.7 is released today to support the new iOS hardware (new iPhone 5, new nano, new touch) announced today. The newer iTunes with interface changes is due later in late October, and a version # wasn't mentioned for that. I would assume it'll either be iTunes 10.7.1 or iTunes 10.8.
  • Reply 9 of 32

Originally Posted by jonyo View Post

The newer iTunes with interface changes is due later in late October, and a version # wasn't mentioned for that. I would assume it'll either be iTunes 10.7.1 or iTunes 10.8.

A completely redesigned version of iTunes… as an x.x.x update… 

• Reply 10 of 32
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Go directly to http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

It's there already.

Strangely, Software Update isn't pulling it yet...noticed some of the iPhone5 info links in the Apple store weren't yet working earlier either, after the store re-opened.

Odd that they didn't have everything "just right", at the bell.

7 hours later you can download of course, but right below that button is still a little corner banner saying "Coming in October"...

just not tight this time around...

• Reply 11 of 32
  • Reply 12 of 32

Still not in the App Store update list. Odd, but I expect it'll be available by tomorrow at the latest. 

• Reply 13 of 32

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Still not in the App Store update list. Odd, but I expect it'll be available by tomorrow at the latest. 

Maybe it's not supposed to be. This is the first iTunes update since Mountain Lion and iTunes was never in Software Update before that anyway, was it?

• Reply 14 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Maybe it's not supposed to be. This is the first iTunes update since Mountain Lion and iTunes was never in Software Update before that anyway, was it?

It always was. It was never a separate download. All apple apps are in software update (which is now lumped in to App Store updates.) OS X updates also show up in the App Store update list. iTunes should also be there. 

• Reply 15 of 32

It always was. It was never a separate download. All apple apps are in software update (which is now lumped in to App Store updates.) OS X updates also show up in the App Store update list. iTunes should also be there. 

Really? I don't remember it happening sometimes.

• Reply 16 of 32

Weird thing is (additionally) is that now I'm getting this error when the App Store update list tries to refresh:

The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -1100.)

• Reply 17 of 32
    ^ same here.
  • Reply 18 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

^ same here.

Have you been getting this just recently? I didn't get this message this morning, for example. 

• Reply 19 of 32
  • Reply 20 of 32
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

I just hope there is a checkbox or defaults write or some such to turn off all the Facebook "Likes"...  Yeesh!

Quote:

Weird thing is (additionally) is that now I'm getting this error when the App Store update list tries to refresh:

The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -1100.)

Me three.