Apple reinvents the iPod nano: 2.5" screen, home button, built-in Bluetooth

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    godawful, agree with all comments about the white face.. overall design seems to have gone back 5 years, the worst line-up of product I have seen released from Apple in 10 years or more
  • Reply 22 of 59
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    wiggin wrote: »
    Glad they are back on track with the nano. (That said, I still think the scroll while nano was a better overall design; but if you insist on going to a touch screen, this is galaxies ahead of the previous touch screen nano.)

I think it's better than the square but I agree about the design of the ipod before the square one. I would have expected something more like:

Possibly with colour matching home buttons. I suppose the circular icons do indicate that this device isn't capable of running normal apps but I prefer the rounded rectangles.

The only colours in the new ones I like are black, purple and silver. A good direction to go but could have been more aesthetically pleasing IMO. Still, if they improve the aesthetics, that means another model they can sell.
  • Reply 23 of 59
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

let's just add another gripe.

The Blutooth is nice, but in most cars (at least in my 2012 VW), you cannot use the car stereo to operate the menu functions of the iPod, only control forward, next, play/pause and volume.  No menu features.  That means people like me would have to buy the converter from 30 pin to 9 pin.  Ugh.

• Reply 24 of 59

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Uh, you're aware of the 3rd and 4th gen Nano? You know, that everyone compared the Nokia to when it launched?

Thing about trolls is that they tend to ignore the past if it doesn't fit their timeframe. 

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

People like you expect Apple to innovate, yet whatever changes they make instantly get a negative knee jerk reaction. Unreal. 

People like me, huh? Just what exactly is that supposed to mean? Don't bother answering. 

It's a mechanical part. Mechanical parts break easily. Mighty Mouse sphere. Dock Connector side clickies. Home Button, Sleep/Wake button (if you don't take care of your possessions). Any moving parts introduced also introduces a new point of failure. It's a bad idea for a feature that will barely be utilized. We'll hear about it breaking, the tiny minority will come onto websites, they'll whine about it (instead of just getting it fixed, as it shouldn't be breaking), and others will read that as 'the majority hates the build quality'. Seen it dozens of times.

• Reply 25 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

It was obvious back then that the clip-on nano was a design mis-step. Glad they are back on track with the nano. (That said, I still think the scroll while nano was a better overall design; but if you insist on going to a touch screen, this is galaxies ahead of the previous touch screen nano.)

The misstep that people absolutely love as a watch, you mean?

Agreeing with you twice in one day.  The clip is what made it work for a lot of people.

And FWIW, I like the white face, and it's definitely not "un-Apple" -- good lord, people, all the original iPods were white!  If anything, this white face harkens back to that original era.

• Reply 26 of 59

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I suppose the circular icons do indicate that this device isn't capable of running normal apps but I prefer the rounded rectangles.

I think that's exactly what they're going for with that; agreed.

• Reply 27 of 59
    How long before the "Apple stole the design from Nokia" comments?

I don't like the white screen frame. Seems backward from all their other products.
    I would guess not long. The first thought you get is that it looks like a lumia, but instead of 2 columns of square icons there round. And rather than the black of the screen being hard to differentiate from the black surround on a lumia, they've gone with a contrasting white.

To some extent it does look like a cheap lumia. When you actually see one though I bet it looks completely different.
  • Reply 28 of 59

The clip + the small form factor made the 6th gen Nano a winner - perfect for working out. They should have renamed the 6th gen Nano the new "shuffle", add bluetooth, and make it a tad thinner. The addition of bluetooth would keep it compatible with Nike's latest sensors.  I have no desire to run with this new larger device.

• Reply 29 of 59
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

I would guess not long. The first thought you get is that it looks like a lumia, but instead of 2 columns of square icons there round. And rather than the black of the screen being hard to differentiate from the black surround on a lumia, they've gone with a contrasting white.

To some extent it does look like a cheap lumia. When you actually see one though I bet it looks completely different.

You are aware that the shape of the Lumia is just a copy of an earlier Apple design right?  As is the Zune which is also similar looking. 

Although I'm sure that none of that will stop endless complaints about how Apple "stole" this design. :-/

• Reply 30 of 59

Quote:

I think it's better than the square but I agree about the design of the ipod before the square one. I would have expected something more like:

Possibly with colour matching home buttons. I suppose the circular icons do indicate that this device isn't capable of running normal apps but I prefer the rounded rectangles.

The only colours in the new ones I like are black, purple and silver. A good direction to go but could have been more aesthetically pleasing IMO. Still, if they improve the aesthetics, that means another model they can sell.

Is it a iNokia by apple?

• Reply 31 of 59
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Two things:

1) This wouldn't be 16:9 (which of all the iPods and iPhones, this one pretty much has to be 16:9). 

2) I hated the colours and the design too until I looked into it and found out that the chief market for the nano is basically 13 year old girls. 

• Reply 32 of 59
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Wow so many knee jerk negative reactions. Until Apple releases sales data and the these same whiners will be gloating about how many iPods/iPhones Apple sold. Good grief.
  • Reply 33 of 59

Originally Posted by rajeshpr View Post

Is it a iNokia by apple?

Apple's design came first, thanks.

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wow so many knee jerk negative reactions. Until Apple releases sales data and the these same whiners will be gloating about how many iPods/iPhones Apple sold. Good grief.

So Windows is good because of how many it sells; got it. Apple must suck because they sell so many fewer.

• Reply 34 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How long before the "Apple stole the design from Nokia" comments?

Not long at all, apparently, since you were thinking it too.

And I love how they boast it's 38% thinner. Yeah, it's thinner because they removed the shirt clip. Morons.

I do like the addition of bluetooth though, but I'd rather they kept the old form factor instead of making it a Touch Mini.

• Reply 35 of 59

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Not long at all, apparently, since you were thinking it too.

Uh… it's not the case. I was thinking it because to a troll, or anyone who didn't know about Apple's earlier hardware, it would appear that the iPod nano is copying the Nokia, not the other way around.

• Reply 36 of 59
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    rajeshpr wrote:
    Is it a iNokia by apple?

Nope, iPod/iPhone by Sony:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/early-iphone-prototypes-drew-inspiration-from-sony-ipod-mini/
    Gazobee wrote:
    This wouldn't be 16:9 (which of all the iPods and iPhones, this one pretty much has to be 16:9).

Yeah, it should most likely be 16:9, I copy/pasted the 3:2 screen from another mockup but I kinda like the 3:2 aspect at that size.
    gazoobee wrote:
    I hated the colours and the design too until I looked into it and found out that the chief market for the nano is basically 13 year old girls.

That's true and the black one looks nice enough for other people:

The iPhone home button shape makes sense now that they used a circle on this one. It's the button that takes you back to the screen with all the circles/rounded rectangles. Clever but I think most people recognise the rounded rectangle shape as the home button now so putting a circle on it wasn't necessary.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    First of all ability to play movies comes back. Anybody noticed that? No previous did not play any movies... that's why kept older geneartion and did not buy into some small toy with no ability to play video.
  • Reply 38 of 59

Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

…toy… 

Let's not get into that nonsense. It was far from a toy.

• Reply 39 of 59
    Does anybody else think this may be a precursor to a possible iPhone nano for prepaid/teen/child markets? With the inclusion of Siri, a compromised typing experience might not be too big a drawback..
  • Reply 40 of 59
    Would have been fantastic if they spent more time explaining the enhanced syncing features of the upcoming iTunes update.

That will change my preference to listening to my podcasts on my iPhone instead of my Nano. I'm bummed that there is no wireless syncing capability in Apple's new iPods.