Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE

Comments

• Reply 201 of 392
    Am I the only one that first noticed the new "thinner" font they used?
  • Reply 202 of 392
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

You do raise some valid points, but it seems the innovations is elsewhere.

In OS and such Apple leads by far, no question.

In hardware, not so much anymore. I would say from a hardware perspective, the latest Nokia Lumia phones have far more innovative hardware that the iPhone 5 does. Everything from the camera to the curved glass screen that works even with gloves.  I'm not saying all the features are great, but they innovated with this hardware. Apple did not do as good a job IMO.

Thank you for your excellent post. I see what you are saying. I simply do not know anything about the Nokia Lumia and, admittedly, would have wrongfully tarred it with the same brush that I reluctantly have for the Samsung III. Please forgive my ignorance, I meant no disrespect to phones that actually do work very well and exhibit an advanced degree of innovation not seen on the Apple platform..

• Reply 203 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ah, the trolls are out from under their rocks today. Must mean winter is near.

Yes... and for all you Trolling Fans out there we have a new format -- Tag Team Trolling!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Define disaster. You're mad because it doesn't light up with blinking lights or something?

The design follows the lead of all other Apple products. Minimalist. Metal and glass.

It's a poor form factor. Steve rejected designs like this in the past.

One has to wonder if the recent law suites against Samsung for patenting the rectangle, didn't have more to do with this design choice then anything else??? And i bet the blogosphere will be lit up with that exact question.

- they couldn't take the obvious evolutionary step of widening and increasing screen size as it would mimic Samsung.

This phone is a cry for help - 'help, we are out of ideas and our culture of innovation is being sapped by our uninspiring leader'.

I smell a new CEO in the very near future.

Wow... I certainly hope that you are available when the time comes!

• Reply 204 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harleigh Quinn View Post

Did the research on that already.

The real issue is what network options you have when you are not in LTE range.

With Verizon it's back to old CDMA networks.

Sprint I will admit I never considered.......

AT&T at least gives you Edge (being phased out), HDSPA, HDSPA+, and then LTE.

I decided to stay with AT&T, based solely on my network bandwidth coverage options.

Depends where you live.  The CDMA may not be as fast but in my experience it is more reliable.  My wife's Verizon iPhone will hum along most of the time whereas my AT&T iPhone will drop to Edge but then pretty my refuse to work.  Also many times I have a 1 or 2 bar 3G signal and the data will still refuse to work.  When AT&T works it is fast and great.  A lot of the time in marginal areas it is just sh!t.  There Verizon wins.  When my contract is up in a few months my next phone will be a Verizon iPhone5.

• Reply 205 of 392
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Move to Cortex A15 (excellent, but again ARM Holdings R&D, produced by Samsung) 

Designed by Apple.

You do know who co-founded ARM with Acorn, don't you?

I'll give you a hint:-

It was Apple.

• Reply 206 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harleigh Quinn View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Verizon has a meaningful network, so I think there's your decision. And LTE out the wazoo.

Did the research on that already.

The real issue is what network options you have when you are not in LTE range.

With Verizon it's back to old CDMA networks.

Sprint I will admit I never considered.......

AT&T at least gives you Edge (being phased out), HDSPA, HDSPA+, and then LTE.

I decided to stay with AT&T, based solely on my network bandwidth coverage options.

I am going to re-examine the other options who use the ATT Network.  We need 3 iPhones... so the question is whether to buy unlocked or not.

• Reply 207 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerryn View Post

Depends where you live.  The CDMA may not be as fast but in my experience it is more reliable.  My wife's Verizon iPhone will hum along most of the time whereas I AT&T iPhone will drop to Edge but then pretty my refuse to work.  Also many times I have a 1 or 2 bar 3G signal and the data will still refuse to work.  When AT&T works it is fast a great.  A lot of the time in marginal areas it is just sh!t.  There Verizon wins.  When my contract is up in a few months my next phone will be a Verizon iPhone5.

At this point, Verizon has LTE in nearly all major to mid major areas. Dropping back isn't much of an issue even. Remember they will at 95% of the population in coverage in the next 6 months and their entire 3G map in 12. For a 2 year contract, let that settle...where will AT&T be.

• Reply 208 of 392
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    mode wrote: »
    Wow!!! I didn't think Ives would drop the ball so soon after Steve's passing.
    Samsung and Motto are light years ahead of Apple now in the design department.
    Tech specs are somewhat solid, and iOS 6 had better be good because thats the only thing this design disaster has going for it.
    Is Ives completely out of ideas???

So true light years ahead in slavishly copying the iPhone.
  • Reply 209 of 392
    bregalad wrote: »
    Lots of little improvements, but nothing really exciting. Getting rather fed up with their pricing actually.

$199 gets you 16GB
    $299 gets you 32GB
    $399 gets you 64GB

I just picked up 16GB SD cards (Class 10) for $10 each. That's a fully marked up retail price not what Apple pays.

They are making an absolute killing on the 32 and 64 GB models.

The profit margin on those higher capacity iPhones are over 60%, so they are indeed making a killing.
  • Reply 210 of 392

Personally, the thing I would have liked to see would be the larger screen included without increasing the height of the handset from the 4/4S, making the home button smaller and convex, and reducing the size of the blank areas top an bottom. The thickness of the 4/4S has never bothered me, but I certainly don't want something larger to put in my pocket. I would also like to see the width on the sides of the screen (bezel) reduced.

To those that are dissapointed by the release I would like to relay this little story (which you may or may not find interesting).

Some years ago I did an industrial design degree. This was just before 3D computer modelling became a tool in the industry, and the flat screen plasma TV was just starting to emerge in the market for people that had way too much money.

We did a project on future forecasting. Predicting where various consumer products would go in 5, 10, 15, and 25 years time. While many of the product evolutions seemed to merge or to point towards humans becoming cyborgs with chips in their heads to supply media directly to the brain (he he), the forecast for the humble TV has some relevance here.

What is the purpose of a TV? To essentially supply an image to a viewer. A pure articulation of this concept is nothing but 'an image', no CRT tv tube, no flat screen tv, no tv stand, no extra piece of physical design or unnecessary ornamentation that interferes with the essential purity of the intent/image. Do we want to look at an image, or a TV?

The design forcast for the TV suggested that it would eventually reach for purity in concept and become nothing but an image (whether this be  floating in the air, mounted on the wall like a poster, or beamed directly into your head).

My point here is that people are looking and wishing to be amazed by the next big thing - but smartphones are already reaching for that purity of concept - from an aesthetics standpoint its already all about the screen / image, and less about everything else that makes up the phone. In reaching for that purity the size of the screen would be largely irrelevant (if it is fit for a users purpose) as long as its a screen and nothing else.

We are not so far away from that reality - and as we get closer there is going to be less and less companies (apple, samsung etc) can do to differentiate their products. A screen after all is just a way to display an image - its the image we care about.

You will note that on all of apples designs they generally are trying to strip back unnecessary ornamentaion and move towards a purity in concept. This is form-following-function in an extreme sense and I find it quite exciting. It is also why I want more screen and less phone.

On a side note, I think that the mind-blowing innovation will start to come when the phones get powerful enough to perform the function of your regular computer, and we start docking them into workstations etc.

Or if could just be time for that chip in the brain! Or perhaps you eat an apple with genetic nanites.... I digress :-)

Enjoy the new phone if you get one - Enjoy moaning if you don't!

• Reply 211 of 392

I think the lack of excitement comes largely from the fact that we knew everything before the press conference and two of the biggest features (screen size and LTE) already exists on many handsets. And lets face it, Cook is hardly the salesmen Jobs was.  Steve Jobs would have sold this phone MUCH better than Cook.

The fact that Apple was able to increase the screen size and add LTE while (supposedly) improving battery life is amazing (if true).  The screen size and LTE are two things Apple held back on due to the potential battery issues.  The features themselves seem like Apple playing catch up, but I don't see that as the case.  Apple doesn't rush to add every feature so they can claim "first", especially if they feel it screws up the user experience.  If they pull it off with good battery life, that IS an innovation.

It bugs some people, but Apple is selling an experience and they want it to be consistent and solid.  Sometimes that means leaving out cutting edge technology until it has a chance to mature.  They let other manufacturers beta test it...

I imagine innovation in phone hardware is going to begin to slow and OS enhancements will become more of a focus.  I don't doubt Apple can dream up amazing things, but at some point dreams are limited by technology and costs.  Mobile CPU power and battery technology are going to create bottlenecks for Apple (and others), and some technology can't be produced cheaply yet.

Look to WWDC keynotes.  That is where you will see the most exciting announcements for the next few years relating to iPhone.  The technologies that will take phone hardware beyond where we are now is still being dreamed up in R&D departments around the world.

• Reply 212 of 392

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

I think the lack of excitement comes largely from the fact that we knew everything before the press conference… 

Other than the fact that we knew nothing at all before the keynote, yes, we knew everything before the keynote.

• Reply 213 of 392
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    dbtinc wrote: »
    we may have hit the "peak" of the iPhone frenzy. I switched (because ATT was so lousy) to HTC EVO and how have the LTE. I'll never look back ...

Ahem, you think people care?
  • Reply 214 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

It's a great phone and probably the best built phone on the market. Specs are top notch. The excitement just isn't there like it used to be. I foresee incremental upgrades from here on for all phones. What more can you shove in a phone?

Look to Microsoft to make Windows fit on a phone entirely, and allow you to dock it to a tablet enclosure or a PC dockstation.

It's pretty clear that "Metro" or "Modern UI" or whatever is their bridge, and Windows Phone 8 is already running the Windows 8 RT Kernel.

It's difficult to envision a worse user experience than "Windows on a phone"...

...Not even this:

• Reply 215 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamWallace View Post

Personally, the thing I would have liked to see would be the larger screen included without increasing the height of the handset from the 4/4S, making the home button smaller and convex, and reducing the size of the blank areas top an bottom. The thickness of the 4/4S has never bothered me, but I certainly don't want something larger to put in my pocket. I would also like to see the width on the sides of the screen (bezel) reduced.

To those that are dissapointed by the release I would like to relay this little story (which you may or may not find interesting).

Some years ago I did an industrial design degree. This was just before 3D computer modelling became a tool in the industry, and the flat screen plasma TV was just starting to emerge in the market for people that had way too much money.

We did a project on future forecasting. Predicting where various consumer products would go in 5, 10, 15, and 25 years time. While many of the product evolutions seemed to merge or to point towards humans becoming cyborgs with chips in their heads to supply media directly to the brain (he he), the forecast for the humble TV has some relevance here.

What is the purpose of a TV? To essentially supply an image to a viewer. A pure articulation of this concept is nothing but 'an image', no CRT tv tube, no flat screen tv, no tv stand, no extra piece of physical design or unnecessary ornamentation that interferes with the essential purity of the intent/image. Do we want to look at an image, or a TV?

The design forcast for the TV suggested that it would eventually reach for purity in concept and become nothing but an image (whether this be  floating in the air, mounted on the wall like a poster, or beamed directly into your head).

My point here is that people are looking and wishing to be amazed by the next big thing - but smartphones are already reaching for that purity of concept - from an aesthetics standpoint its already all about the screen / image, and less about everything else that makes up the phone. In reaching for that purity the size of the screen would be largely irrelevant (if it is fit for a users purpose) as long as its a screen and nothing else.

We are not so far away from that reality - and as we get closer there is going to be less and less companies (apple, samsung etc) can do to differentiate their products. A screen after all is just a way to display an image - its the image we care about.

You will note that on all of apples designs they generally are trying to strip back unnecessary ornamentaion and move towards a purity in concept. This is form-following-function in an extreme sense and I find it quite exciting. It is also why I want more screen and less phone.

On a side note, I think that the mind-blowing innovation will start to come when the phones get powerful enough to perform the function of your regular computer, and we start docking them into workstations etc.

Or if could just be time for that chip in the brain! Or perhaps you eat an apple with genetic nanites.... I digress :-)

Enjoy the new phone if you get one - Enjoy moaning if you don't!

Removing the hardware buttons altogether would have been ideal (In my opinion after using a device without one for years - broken iPad home button and my Galaxy Nexus). And I think (hope) the mind-blowing innovation will be closer to that of Google glasses.

• Reply 216 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Except they did the same for the 4S, too, and you've actually lost features this time around (CDMA and GSM phones are different models again). The main camera has not been changed, either; the exterior redesign was unnecessary; the new dock connector was unnecessary, headphones are more of an iPod feature than an iPhone feature (and I like them).

Wow. You have no idea what your talking about. The main camera has been improved for better low-light photography while becoming thinner. The new dock connector is faster, smaller (to make room for other components) and symmetrical (so it can be put in both ways). The physical design provides a better bigger screen and the metal back, while more visually pleasing, also makes the device more durable and helps with the antenna functionality.

But keep making things up dude. Clueless...

• Reply 217 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerryn View Post

Depends where you live.  The CDMA may not be as fast but in my experience it is more reliable.  My wife's Verizon iPhone will hum along most of the time whereas I AT&T iPhone will drop to Edge but then pretty my refuse to work.  Also many times I have a 1 or 2 bar 3G signal and the data will still refuse to work.  When AT&T works it is fast a great.  A lot of the time in marginal areas it is just sh!t.  There Verizon wins.  When my contract is up in a few months my next phone will be a Verizon iPhone5.

You make a good point, however there are just some areas where it doesn't matter which service you have, there will be no coverage.

My contract is up, and I could go to Verizon, however my instincts just tell me to stay with AT&T for some reason.

Verizon may have the most coverage, however most of that coverage is still CDMA, which leaves me wanting. I have not used CDMA since Sprint introduced it back in 1997.

And not being able to use data while on the phone is a HUGE factor to take into account.

I live in mostly metropolitan areas, however I will admit I do go to rural locations every so often.

I should look at the roaming when I leave the country, which I will admit is one factor I did not consider.

Does Verizon lock the phone to the network, just as AT&T does? Could I just pop out the sim in, say, the UK, and add a prepaid one there and not be locked out or locked to roaming with verizon, as I would with AT&T?

I will admit I am going to eventually buy a black one, as well as a white one (pisces. decisions suck and they both look sexy, I will admit. Especially the nod to SJ @ NXT with the anodized black one) so maybe I should just get one on each network (verizon and AT&T)?

I'd hate to have two numbers, though......

• Reply 218 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

You know this for a fact?

He was pretty sick the last year or so. How much he was involved is certainly up to question, as is how much they may have changed from whatever ideas he did input to it since his death.

After his death it was widely written he worked on the iP5 closely before he died (Google it). Just as he worked closely on the this years iPad. He was on stage during Apple's WWDC keynote June 2011, he died October 2011. He obviously was strong enough to do the keynote 3.5 - 4 months before he died, why couldn't he be strong enough to work on the iPhone and other products and concepts? 

Since he is so highly respected in Apple for obvious reasons, it is highly doubtful Cook, Ive, and Forstall among others would make drastic changes to his visions after death.

If you're going to make a statement, know facts first since you are asking for facts.

• Reply 219 of 392

What time will the pre-orders start on Friday?  Will it be 12 a.m. Eastern Time?

• Reply 220 of 392
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Are you serious? Samsung design ahead? lol

Personally, I found his mentioning of Motto even cuter. This is the phone that has design 'light years ahead' according to Mode, who calls the iPhone a design 'disaster'. It''s a better looking iPhone. Where the **** is the 'disaster? Try to look at that homescreen without getting a seizure. Opinions are opinions, but sometimes it's mindblogging what those who bash Apple consider (or pretend to consider) superior. BUT ITS SO EXXXXXTREME! I mean Jesus Christ. Even motorola/android fanboys panned this shit when it was shown off a few days ago.