Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE

Comments

• Reply 261 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

The CPU is the most interesting aspect of this to me, actually, the only interesting aspect. If it really is a Cortex A15, that would represent a huge leap in power over the old A9, but Apple were only claiming a 2x improvement.  The GPU is surely the same quad core chip from the iPad 3, and not the far more powerful Power VR Rogue. That will surely surface in the iPad 4...

Shame about the lack of NFC and the tiny screen size, but at least there's plenty of interesting competition to buy from now.

If its only a 2x performance then its not A15.

• Reply 262 of 392

I don't know the speed of the A6 chip, the Skyrocket is 1.5 Ghz.

• Reply 263 of 392
    More negativity than I expected. The iPhone (and the smartphone revolution it inspired) is starting to stabilize and move into a period of refinement rather than door-busting new features. I see a lot of people whining that the iPhone 5 didn't wow' them but they're not mentioning what features they wanted for that wow-factor to take place. For years I've had some various ideas about what I wanted to see from new Apple hardware but I've pretty much run out of ideas as well. Now it is just polishing them up, gradually evolving them, and gradually evolving the software to do more and more.
    Someone complained that it lacks a 'wider' screen. No thanks on that, I like being able to comfortably reach my thumb across the phone without having to change my hand position. That probably won't be possible anymore without a little bit of vertical movement, but that won't be as big a deal as horizontal movement. Some people have bigger hands and could comfortably use a little more screen width but there are plenty with smaller hands who could not. Apple would have to introduce additional versions. In any case, I'm pretty sure that people whining for something like a wider screen really just don't get Apple. They're designing a product that is comfortable for everyone (and not everyone wants a huge electronic device glued to the side of their head and bulging in their pocket).
    Someone complained about sub-standard battery life for a smartphone. That's just false.
    I'm more interested in revolutionary new ideas that would have inspired that 'wow' factor, or made a competing device so much more 'wow' than the iPhone. Instead it just seems like a bunch of people justifying their beliefs for their own individual platform choice (which we see plenty of in relation to Apple as well, here). Also, the folks who shop on a checklist—"8 MP camera? Check."—there are plenty of manufacturers who don't care about quality and execution but which are happy to check of every mark on a person's list. "3D Interface? Check." I care more about the quality and how much of a delight it actually is to use the device.
    And I agree. This wasn't a through-and-through 'wow' iPhone, and I'm not so sure we'll see that again anytime soon. We won't be seeing it from their competitors anytime soon, either. (Maybe some of this has to do with people seeing the reveal before it takes place and then somehow still expecting to be wowed by a feature list they've already gradually been introduced to). For me, I think the time has come to pick a release point in the tick-tock process that Apple seems to be following and upgrade every other year, and I think the iPhone 5 is going to represent that point.

Very well said. I had a similar conversation at work with a fandroid owner saying nothing revolutionary about the 5. I agreed it is more evolutionary at this point. The original iPhone was revolutionary and the competitors have never been.

I have upgraded every year (at zero cost because of high resale value) but the 5 may be the point I finally start upgrading every two years as well.
  • Reply 264 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Which begs the question, if the iPhone is just now catching up, what's enticing anyone to switch? Or rather, what's encouraging them to stay?

Ecosystem. Nobody does it better than Apple. That is their greatest asset.

Nobody does it better

Makes me feel sad for the rest

Nobody does it half as good as you

Baby, you're the best

I wasn't lookin' but somehow you found me

It tried to hide from your love light

But like heaven above me

The spy who loved me

Is keepin' all my secrets safe tonight

And nobody does it better

Though sometimes I wish someone could

Nobody does it quite the way you do

Why'd you have to be so good?

The way that you hold me

Whenever you hold me

There's some kind of magic inside you

That keeps me from runnin'

But just keep it comin'

How'd you learn to do the things you do?

Oh, and nobody does it better

Makes me feel sad for the rest

Nobody does it half as good as you

Baby, baby, darlin', you're the best

Baby you're the best

Darlin', you're the best

Baby you're the best

FADE

Oh, oh, oh 

http://www.lyricsdepot.com/carly-simon/nobody-does-it-better.html

• Reply 265 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post

Ghz isn't useful as a comparison when you're talking different operating systems.

I can tell you that no phone is close to being twice as fast as the 4S.

• Reply 266 of 392
    hill60 wrote: »
    The Sony Experia S has a 12 megapixel camera.

I look forward to 28 Megapixel panorama's from the 6th generation iPhone.

It's all about the MEGAPIXELZZZ!!!!
  • Reply 267 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

IPhone 5? Did not see this coming.

LOL!  Without a doubt... Post Of The Year!

• Reply 268 of 392

LOL we have these conversations every year. And the results is the same every year. 

If people are looking for Apple to drop the ball, this iPhone 5 *still* aint it. You'll have to go fishing elsewhere. 

• Reply 269 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There is only ONE truth. 

See signature...

• Reply 270 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Removing the hardware buttons altogether would have been ideal (In my opinion after using a device without one for years - broken iPad home button and my Galaxy Nexus). And I think (hope) the mind-blowing innovation will be closer to that of Google glasses.

When I was using my company issued Android phone, one of my biggest gripes was the lack of a hardware button. It is so much easier to grab the phone and push the button on the top screen to come out of sleep and swipe the screen with my thumb to unlock. I hated having to reach for a power button on the side of the phone before I could do anything else.

Interestingly enough, reading through the posts, it really does seem as though Android users have gotten used to having to use two hands to operate their phones. Maybe I am an old timer that was used to using cell phones before they came smart, but I still like being able to operate my phone with a single hand and use my thumb a lot. I know that I have small hands (especially for a male), but that just wasn't possible on my HTC Android phone with a 4" screen, so I am happy, no ecstatic, that Apple did not increase the width of the iPhone5. fwiw, I wonder if this difference in width can be tracked to phone usage by gender, since most women have smaller hands than guys.

• Reply 271 of 392

I guess somebody will do some benchmark tests to compare. The iPhone is a great phone. I went with the Skyrocket in Oct. 2011, because it had LTE, a replaceable battery, upgraded to ICS, and cheap memory with SD cards.

• Reply 272 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So how do you think it will stack up against the dual core processor in most of the US versions of the Galaxy S III?

Actually the US Galaxy S3 has a Snapdragon S4 based on (but isn't fully) Cortex A15 compliant. On a CPU basis, it probably performs very similar. On a GPU basis the iPhone 5 will be better by some margin as the Adreno in the S3 is good, but not as powerful as the PowerVR in the iPhone 5.

• Reply 273 of 392

Hey everyone,

I have a few questions that I was hoping I could find answers to:

1) How risky is it to unlock the iPhone 4 and 4S if it is not through the 'legitimate' way?

2) If I use the same amount of data, will using the LTE network on AT&T cost me the same on my monthly plan as only using the 3G network?

3) How much do you think the unlocked iPhone 5 16GB will cost?

4) Do you guys think I will be able to buy the iPhone 5 with a contract and immediately unlock it by paying the ETF? What about for the 4 or 4S?

Thanks!

• Reply 274 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

Can someone 'splain to me what these words mean? I knew of a Canadian hockey guy named "Don Cherry" who I think invented the phrase "Rocket Surgery" when he actually meant "Rocket Science". 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I'm guessing you're football illiterate.

Yogi Berra said:  "They're staying away in droves [because it's too crowded]" and it's "Deja vu all over again".

• Reply 275 of 392
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    LOL we have these conversations every year. And the results is the same every year. 

If people are looking for Apple to drop the ball, this iPhone 5 *still* aint it. You'll have to go fishing elsewhere. 
    And as far as screen size the market place will decide that. So if Apple did drop the ball in not making a 4.3 or 4.5 size phone we'll see it in decreased sales. It's not rocket science. Yet somehow I have a feeling when sales numbers are released they'll be through the roof and once again a lot of people will have egg on their faces.
  • Reply 276 of 392

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

See signature...

That's another example of a lie.

Originally Posted by crazi4apple View Post

1) How risky is it to unlock the iPhone 4 and 4S if it is not through the 'legitimate' way?

2) If I use the same amount of data, will using the LTE network on AT&T cost me the same on my monthly plan as only using the 3G network?

3) How much do you think the unlocked iPhone 5 16GB will cost?

4) Do you guys think I will be able to buy the iPhone 5 with a contract and immediately unlock it by paying the ETF? What about for the 4 or 4S?

1. The 4S can't even be unlocked, I thought. Otherwise not.

2. Only if their plans are the same price for both.

3. Same price as the unlocked 16GB 4S from its launch until today.

4. Of course not. You'll have to either wait two years or buy the unlocked version.

• Reply 277 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post

No, no, no, no. Not clock speed, but what really matters - actual performance.  Androids usually have higher have clock speeds than similar iPhones, but the iPhones continue to out perform them in real app operating speed.

• Reply 278 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Ghz isn't useful as a comparison when you're talking different operating systems.

I can tell you that no phone is close to being twice as fast as the 4S.

Found this site to compare... http://geekaphone.com/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S-II-Skyrocket-vs-Apple-iPhone-4S#processing-power

• Reply 279 of 392
    More negativity than I expected. The iPhone (and the smartphone revolution it inspired) is starting to stabilize and move into a period of refinement rather than door-busting new features. I see a lot of people whining that the iPhone 5 didn't wow' them but they're not mentioning what features they wanted for that wow-factor to take place. For years I've had some various ideas about what I wanted to see from new Apple hardware but I've pretty much run out of ideas as well. Now it is just polishing them up, gradually evolving them, and gradually evolving the software to do more and more.

Precisely! The smartphone industry may be booming right now, but in terms of technology all the major "wow"ness has happened already. Now it's just about faster, clearer, better. Same thing happened in the CPU industry a few years ago. Huge jumps from 8086 to 286 to Pentium; FPUs, MMX/SSE, cache, etc; but now it's more about faster, smaller, less power consumption. Eventually revolutionary jumps just slow down. Not to say Apple won't have "wow"s to give ever again, just not every 12 months.

All the negativity is just haters and what I like to think of as faux fans. They have the fanaticism of a regular fanboy, but only when they can use it to make themselves feel superior to others. The kind of people that get iPhones or buy "Organic" because it's "in" and/or a fashion statement. Fair weather fans to be sure. (Freaking hipsters.)

As a whole, the iPhone 5 is an engineering achievement. Every component works well with each other, and integrates wonderfully with the whole Apple environment. It pushes the high standard of the 4S even further. I won't be buying one, but that's cause I'm cheap. :)

(as for what would have wow'ed me... holograms!! And forget voice control, I want mental control. I'd wait all night in front of an Apple store for that.)
  • Reply 280 of 392
    nht wrote: »
    Jesus christ...I think folks were writing this word for word when the 4S came out.  

WTF do you people want?  This thing is LOTS better than my iPhone 4 and that's only 2 years old.

A6 people...it's twice as fast as the 4S.  It should be interesting to find out what's inside...a dual core A15 at lower clock speed would be interesting.  It means Apple is one step ahead of the competition using quad A9s.
    Exactly. It's the thinnest mobile on the market. The pixel density is the highest, and since the screen is 'only' 4" it might easily be the fastest one as well.