16GB iPhone 4S drops to $99, 8GB iPhone 4 free with contract

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With the launch of the iPhone 5, the 16-gigabyte iPhone 4S will drop to $99 with a two-year contract, while an 8-gigabyte iPhone 4 will be available for free.

The new pricing was announced by Apple on Wednesday at its iPhone 5 keynote. No mention was made of the iPhone 3GS, suggesting it will no longer be available, though some have expressed belief that it will continue to be available contract-free in developing countries.

The iPhone 5 pricing matches last year's iPhone 4S pricing structure: $199 with a contract for the 16-gigabyte model, $299 for 32 gigabytes, and $399 for 64 gigabytes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12

The 4S seems like the best deal of the bunch. 

• Reply 2 of 12

The non-brushed aluminum band on the black is not what I would have lobbied for inside design meetings. It wasn't broken. Don't try to fix it.

This will be my first one. It's got all the necessaries especially LTE which makes it have a longer life span/performance measure.

• Reply 3 of 12

Anything less than the 4S is getting screwed.

Customers are losing features if they purchase older hardware, as Apple selectively disables features based on hardware requirements, etc. Siri, Navigation, etc.

If you (or someone you know) is getting an iPhone, please make sure they get at least a 4S--or for their sake, a 5, if only so that they'll get the latest support and features for the greatest amount of time.

• Reply 4 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Anything less than the 4S is getting screwed.

Customers are losing features if they purchase older hardware, as Apple selectively disables features based on hardware requirements, etc. Siri, Navigation, etc.

If you (or someone you know) is getting an iPhone, please make sure they get at least a 4S--or for their sake, a 5, if only so that they'll get the latest support and features for the greatest amount of time.

Since all the iPhones looks the same now, I'm sure a LOT of people are going to opt for the "free" iPhone 4 and think they're getting a steal!

Smart on Apple's part because they'll sell a whole lot more iPhones to bottom-feeders and Android types that want a more "flashy" phone.

• Reply 5 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Since all the iPhones looks the same now, I'm sure a LOT of people are going to opt for the "free" iPhone 4 and think they're getting a steal!

Smart on Apple's part because they'll sell a whole lot more iPhones to bottom-feeders and Android types that want a more "flashy" phone.

Perhaps.

Really sucks for those people, and their friends/family who hear about it/deal with it.

• Reply 6 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Perhaps.

Really sucks for those people, and their friends/family who hear about it/deal with it.

If Android is any sign, most people don't care if they can get all the latest updates on their smartphone.

Apple was still able to move quite a few 3GS over the past year even though that design looks very dated. At least the 4 is a good looking phone.

Probably the best "free" smartphone out there.

• Reply 7 of 12
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

So $50 difference to go from 16gb to 32gb on the iPod Touch, but $100 to do the exact thing on the iPhone?  Ok.....?

• Reply 8 of 12

Iphone 4S is very competitively priced

• Reply 9 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

So $50 difference to go from 16gb to 32gb on the iPod Touch, but $100 to do the exact thing on the iPhone?  Ok.....?

... and the iPod Touch you're referring to is 2 years old. Check the prices of the new Touches before you start whining.

• Reply 10 of 12
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowspark View Post

Iphone 4S is very competitively priced

Until you consider the price of the two-year contract along with it.

Then the $100, $200, or $300 increase for the iPhone 5 makes very little difference.

I'm almost tempted to upgrade to the iPhone 5 (have 4S) because of LTE capability. It makes a *big* difference on my iPad where LTE is available. Not much else on the iPhone 5 I'm dying for (as I have most of it on the 4S and iPad), but the LTE is almost worth the price of admission (which, of course, will cost me a lot more than $100, $200, or $300 as I have to upgrade early).

Interestingly enough, I had a 32 GB 3GS and opted for a 16 GB 4S. Figured that with my iPad (64GB) I wouldn't need much memory on the phone and I could save $100. What a mistake. Don't believe I need 64GB, but will definitely not settle for less that 32GB again. 

• Reply 11 of 12
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

... and the iPod Touch you're referring to is 2 years old. Check the prices of the new Touches before you start whining.

Then this was a weird slide for their keynote.  I obviously just misread it.  My point still stands though.... the only difference is the memory.  It's beyond cheap enough that they could have made 32gb the base or allow for a $50 upgrade to 32gb and $150 for 64gb instead of $100 and $200.  Not a huge deal- just weird.

• Reply 12 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Then this was a weird slide for their keynote.  I obviously just misread it.  My point still stands though.... the only difference is the memory.  It's beyond cheap enough that they could have made 32gb the base or allow for a $50 upgrade to 32gb and $150 for 64gb instead of $100 and $200.  Not a huge deal- just weird.

I agree with your point that Apple charges more than they should for memory upgrades. Honestly the problem would be alleviated if they just came with more memory standard since flash storage is so cheap nowadays compared to 5 years ago.