Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE

Comments

• Reply 341 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Where's the wow factor?

This is pretty tired. Everything Apple's "incorporating" has been in an Android device for almost a year now, in some cases longer.

You can't really improve upon a phones capabilities after that many updates to the os. Thinner bigger and faster is the wow factor they went upon. and it plays console quality games. With iOS 7 well see some updates to the capabilities and maybe an iPhone that comes in colors.

• Reply 342 of 392

all they did is getting in a new row, so you have one row more to fill with apps. *kaching*

hm, the *kaching* isnt't too loud though^^. apple's earnings in Q4 are kind of low...

• Reply 343 of 392
    Questions...

1. Display tech of i5 screen? They said the new iTouch is IPS, but said nothing about the phone, while hinting it had better (color saturation comment, etc).

2. What happened to the AirPlay Direct announcement?

3. What are the specs of the A6? I know, I read the article published here that was filled with guesses and speculation with nothing official from Apple, but the article source claiming to know the model CPU cored sounds like it's probably reliable. We still don't know if this has two or four cores, though the article has us guessing at two. We don't know which GPU it has and its core number. Clock? On-chip RAM, cache RAM, and internal RAM. We can guess that it iuses Samsung's 32nm process.

4. This isn't a question. Kind of disappointed that no new sensory technology has been included. Heck, Samsung added a barometer and an RGB sensor (of which the latter, I have no idea of what it does). Apple has been pretty good at adding a new sensor technology in each iPhone generation.

Overall, I'm impressed with everything they showed. The new iPods were a complete surprise as for how much TLC they got in this latest generation overhaul. The i5 was almost as I had predicted. Dual band Wi-Fi N was a surprise, as was its lighter weight, third microphone, etc. Remeber when the 4S was announced? Additional features were found or announced for several weeks after the event (such as GLOSNOS). So, it's possible we haven't yet heard it all...
  • Reply 344 of 392
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    cosina wrote: »
    Been a iPhone user ever since the 3G version, had the 3GS, 4 and still have the 4S. Was looking forward to making the jump to the 5 but thats not going to happen anytime soon. I love everything about the new phone except its screen size. Longer screen doesn't do it for me. These days with the amount of things we can do on a smartphone and the time spent on it, a wider and larger screen makes sense and easier on the eyes. Still an Apple fan though and still think they design and build the best consumer tech on this planet. Nobody else connects hardware and software like Apple does. I am going to make the jump to the Galaxy Note 2 when its available, not sure how long it will last though... 

Twice as fast as a 4S and as sexy as hell, does it for me.

Two years of an iPhone 4 and before that two years of a 3G and all that time having to put up with whiners telling me what they couldn't do, times haven't changed much.

Two year contract, two year upgrade cycle works out well.

I wonder if my Galaxy Nexus will last as long?

A couple of the updates messed it up but a couple more fixed it again.

It's a pretty boring phone, blandness unless you are a tinkerer, which I gave up on years ago.
  • Reply 345 of 392
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple knows they shouldn't mess too much with a good thing. 

All it needs are improvements here and there. That's what the iPhone 5 brings. Improvements in all the right places. iOS is already as refined as any mobile OS could get. Nothing comes close to it in terms of User Experience. 

ScreenShot2012-05-28at75101PM.jpg

Thanks for this post. It made wading through the troll comments so worthwhile.

It doesn't matter how many megapixels the competition can capture or that they've had NFC years before anyone will ever be able to use it reliably. The iPhone represents a nexus of content and simplicity that Android never took a stand for. When everyone else was kowtowing to Adobe and the unwanted intrusion of flash on the internet, Steve Jobs said "no more" and won in the mobile space. Apple fans aren't always "sheeple". Sometimes they just expect a different standard.

• Reply 346 of 392
    Think ill stick with my Samsung Galaxy S3......
  • Reply 347 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Thanks for this post. It made wading through the troll comments so worthwhile.

Sure, no worries.  :)

It isn't about specs. It's all about User Experience. Put your time and energy into *this* above all else, and you'll win every time. And a superior User Experience begins with saying NO to universally-licensing your OS. 

• Reply 348 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Yeah, I realize that. I was responding to to the challenge of what the iPhone 5 has that Androids do not have, and according to Apple the new iPhone is about twice as fast as its predecessor. I can't see why people are instantly overlooking this this fact and are not impressed by the new standard Apple has provided in the new iPhone. You know if it was only a 20 % or 30% increase in performance I could understand their disappointment with the iPhone 5. But 100%, what are these people smoking?

Just to put this in some perspective, imagine if Apple released a new Retina MacBook Pro, in a refined form factor, say as a 15" MBA, with double the CPU and GPU performance, lighter weight, and increased battery life. Heads would explode over the perceived improvement. (Even the troll army wouldn't know what to say.) But, when they do the same thing with a phone, it's "underwhelming".

The only hardware "omission" anyone can really point to is (the utterly useless today) NFC. This (useless) memory card trope started above is just more nonsense. The fact that the screen is still usable with one hand and that the phone didn't become a phablet is a major plus, both from an ergonomic perspective and for portability.

Once again, just as was the case with the 4S, it's an entirely new and vastly improved phone internally. Externally, it got something of a face lift and an increase in screen real estate. Internally and externally, the materials and build quality are leagues beyond any other phone. And, iOS 6, which unlike Android releases, isn't tied to the new hardware (ignoring the fact that many new Android phones are still stuck on 2.3) is a very big step forward.

The iPhone 5, like it's predecessors, is the industry benchmark, and remains way ahead of the competition in hardware quality and user experience. No other phone is even close to matching it.

• Reply 349 of 392
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    peteralt wrote: »
    4. This isn't a question. Kind of disappointed that no new sensory technology has been included. Heck, Samsung added a barometer and an RGB sensor (of which the latter, I have no idea of what it does). Apple has been pretty good at adding a new sensor technology in each iPhone generation.
    OK you don't know what an RGB sensor does (neither do I btw) but wonder why it's not in the new iPhone? This is why I'm glad Apple doesn't play the stupid spec game. Other manufactures just throw everything and anything into their products because they're designing for the tech press and geeks. Apple is designing for everyone else.
  • Reply 350 of 392
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    applephil wrote: »
    all they did is getting in a new row, so you have one row more to fill with apps. *kaching*
    And If they made it wider you'd be able to fit 5 apps across instead of 4. Whoope!
  • Reply 351 of 392
    melgross wrote: »
    That's hardly a good reason. If you're looking at that one thing, then you aren't being serious about the phone.
    Besides, even Google has stated that the removable memory card isn't used by most people. It causes a lot of problems that Google is just now coming to grips with. There has been a big problem the way data and apps are handled that only now is being partly resolved. ICS doesn't fix the problem.
    The problem, quickly stated is that because it puts data and apps seperately on the card and internal memory, if you don't have the card, apps may not work. There could be problems with parts of the OS as well. Now, they're working on making this work properly. But it's not there yet.
    I'm not exactly accurate in this, because I'm stating it from my own internal memory.;).
    But this is one reason Apple, and some other companies haven't adopted this method.

While that's mostly true one can easily put all their media on the SD card leaving the internal memory solely for apps and their data. And frankly speaking the only apps that have a hard time accessing the external memory are the ones that have a active widget.
  • Reply 352 of 392
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    blackbook wrote: »
    Most people just read and surf the web on iPad. Or use it for some productive work when they don't want to lug around a laptop.

Yes more power would be good for games, and an HD camera would be a nice progression, but I think most people just want something lighter.

If they can shave a considerable amount of weight off the iPad while making it more powerful and efficient they'll have a winner

More people use these things for serious work that you're led to believe. Besides, it would be stupid of Apple to ignore millions of people just to shave off a few ounces. If you want a lightweight tablet for simple uses, then buy a Kindle Fire HD. That's perfectly suited to your usage model. Cheaper too!
  • Reply 353 of 392
    What 3S app -- Blender?

I think we are about 2 years away (CPU/GPU/RAM/SSD) from being able to run FCP X on an iPad -- though I believe FCP X was designed for touch.

Lotsa' missing APIs.

Verto Studio. I have viewers for just about every major 3D platform as well. The screen would be too small for all those menus, even though the resolution is higher than any normal present monitor.
  • Reply 354 of 392
    Yeah, I realize that. I was responding to to the challenge of what the iPhone 5 has that Androids do not have, and according to Apple the new iPhone is about twice as fast as its predecessor. I can't see why people are instantly overlooking this this fact and are not impressed by the new standard Apple has provided in the new iPhone. You know if it was only a 20 % or 30% increase in performance I could understand their disappointment with the iPhone 5. But 100%, what are these people smoking?

I think this disappointment is a manufactured one. If we look at everything that been done in this model, overall, it's a major improvement. Some here said that the panoramic feature wasn't a big deal, and it's been done before. But that shows a deliberate lack of understanding of that feature. No other phone does what that does. Other phones require that you take each picture, and align them carefully, making about a 20% overlap between them. It's a bit of work to get it right.

But with this, all you do is choose panoramic, and pan the phone. The panoramic is done in realtime, as you pan. Anand thinks it isn't snapping individual pictures, but updating the image as it moves around. If that's true, it would be a major advance over how it's being done now. Even if not, it's so much easier and better that it's a major feature, as a lot of people take panarama's where they come out badly, and never bother again.

That's partly a feature of iOS 6, but iOS 6 is a major part of the upgrade! People are also saying; ugh, the camera is the same. But it's not. It's got the same Rez, but better low light ability, and lower noise, with higher dynamic range, along with a new lens.

There have been many upgrades that aren't as obvious as the larger screen, and the aluminum case. They are all important and add up.

Then we have the 8 hour LTE time. What other phone has 8 hours of LTE? One Motorola phone boasts 20 hours of talk time, but under what conditions? Not LTE! And it's a much heavier phone, with a really big battery.
  • Reply 355 of 392
    aia wrote: »
    The camera improvements remain to be seen. The way I read it is that they've "improved" the noise reduction. I downloaded the sample photos from Apple's site, and even these photos taken during bright lighting conditions show signs of noise reduction. Don't get me wrong - I'd be perfectly happy having the iP4S/5 as a P&S replacement, I'm just saying not to expect big improvements without a significant sensor change.

Along the same lines, some folks are complaining about the camera resolution (8MP) staying the same - I'm actually relieved that they didn't touch this. Short of doing something along the lines of what Nokia did with their PureView, there's really no point in having more MP in a phone given the current technology.

My iPhone 4S takes very sharp pictures. Noise reduction isn't an issue, as every review of the phone will tell you, until you get down to very low light levels. And then I use HDR, which works remarkedly well. With the new phone talki g pictures 40% faster, and the demo of that was pretty good, it will make those HDR's much better. And no, they aren't garish, at least on the 4S (haven't seen them yet on the 5).

Every ti e Apple has said the camera was better, it was. I see no reason to disbelieve them now. And, by the way, it's thought that Apple switched sensor manufacturers back, if so, it is a different sensor, and likely a newer design.
  • Reply 356 of 392
    peteralt wrote: »
    Questions...
    1. Display tech of i5 screen? They said the new iTouch is IPS, but said nothing about the phone, while hinting it had better (color saturation comment, etc).
    2. What happened to the AirPlay Direct announcement?
    3. What are the specs of the A6? I know, I read the article published here that was filled with guesses and speculation with nothing official from Apple, but the article source claiming to know the model CPU cored sounds like it's probably reliable. We still don't know if this has two or four cores, though the article has us guessing at two. We don't know which GPU it has and its core number. Clock? On-chip RAM, cache RAM, and internal RAM. We can guess that it iuses Samsung's 32nm process.
    Overall, I'm impressed with everything they showed. The new iPods were a complete surprise as for how much TLC they got in this latest generation overhaul. The i5 was almost as I had predicted. Dual band Wi-Fi N was a surprise, as was its lighter weight, third microphone, etc. Remeber when the 4S was announced? Additional features were found or announced for several weeks after the event (such as GLOSNOS). So, it's possible we haven't yet heard it all...

The screen will again be a form of IPS. It's been upgraded, as has the one in the Touch, to match the new iPad's full sRGB color gamute, which is much better than on any other phone (or tablet). It also has in screen touch technology with gives better contrast, less reflections, and better color saturation.

Ask Apple about lacking announcements as none of would know.

Wait a week or so for the phones to come out, and then the tech sites will tear into them with tests. Apple isn't interested in too much technobabble. All most people want to know is how much faster it is from the one they have now.

As I mentioned in my last post, it's thought that Apple has moved back to its previous sensor manufacturer. If so, it could be for a more advanced sensor than what Sony has to offer now.Cut the camera also offers better stabilization in addition to other advances.
  • Reply 357 of 392
    clubs45 wrote: »
    Think ill stick with my Samsung Galaxy S3......

Good for you.
  • Reply 358 of 392
    rogifan wrote: »
    OK you don't know what an RGB sensor does (neither do I btw) but wonder why it's not in the new iPhone? This is why I'm glad Apple doesn't play the stupid spec game. Other manufactures just throw everything and anything into their products because they're designing for the tech press and geeks. Apple is designing for everyone else.

I didn't respond to that, because I don't know what he means. All camera sensors are "RGB". All Bayer sensors are actually RGGB. Two green sensing sites for every one red and blue.
  • Reply 359 of 392
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    While that's mostly true one can easily put all their media on the SD card leaving the internal memory solely for apps and their data. And frankly speaking the only apps that have a hard time accessing the external memory are the ones that have a active widget.

The problem here is that most Android users aren't very knowledgable about their phones. The techie people who are don't have as much of a problem. But the rest are going to have problems with this, because they have no control as to how the OS handles the internal memory and the card. I can see them filling up a card with songs, so they think, removing it for another empty one, and crashing apps, and possibly the phone itself, and not understanding why.

That's a defect, not a feature, and it's only now that it's been mostly addressed. But as we see with Android, it will take over a year before half, if that many, new Android users are able to use that new OS. Most of the current ones will be out of luck.
  • Reply 360 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I didn't respond to that, because I don't know what he means. All camera sensors are "RGB". All Bayer sensors are actually RGGB. Two green sensing sites for every one red and blue.

He's referring to a sensor that detects ambient light levels for the purpose of adjusting screen brightness. Typically, these detect a single color, G, which can cause problems under fluorescent lighting. Once again, though, this is a feature that, while it may look good on a checklist, doesn't mean much if you aren't having problems adjusting screen brightness to begin with. I have no idea what sort of sensor Apple uses for this, and I doubt the OP does either.

But, this sort of thing does show the ridiculous lengths some will go to to find something to criticize.