Apple's aggressive iPhone 5 launch schedule to reach 31 countries in Sept. quarter

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The iPhone 5 will debut in a total of 31 countries before Apple's current fiscal quarter ends on Sept. 29, making it the company's most aggressive launch schedule to date.

The iPhone 5 will debut in 9 countries for its Sept. 21 debut: the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Germany, France, Australia, Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore.

Then a week later on Sept. 28, the iPhone 5 will roll out in 22 additional countries, including Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

In comparison, last year the iPhone 4S launched in a total of seven countries on Oct. 14, with 22 more countries added to the mix by the end of October.

iPhone 5

The fact that the iPhone 5 will launch in 31 countries before the end of the month is an important note for investors, as Apple's September fiscal quarter concludes on Sept. 29.

Analyst Mark Moskowitz with J.P. Morgan characterized the launch of the iPhone 5 as a "fast and furious rollout." He said the fact that Apple's new smartphone will be available in a total of 100 countries with 240 carriers by December of this year is a signal that Apple can avoid potential supply chain constraints related to 28-nanometer chips and new in-cell touchscreen displays.

With just over a week of international iPhone 5 sales before the September quarter concludes, total sales of the new handset are projected to reach as high as 10 million in the September quarter if Apple's supplies are not too constrained. Last year, Apple sold 4 million of the iPhone 4S in its first three days of availability.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    And there we have it. All the rumours about Apple not having enough units for a basic launch are proven false with 31 countries in the first two weeks.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    solipsismx wrote: »
    And there we have it. All the rumours about Apple not having enough units for a basic launch are proven false with 31 countries in the first two weeks.

I'm eager to see the teardown process. I wonder if this phone is more easily assembled.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    I've always gone into the store and bought my phone in the past, so this will be the first time I get in on the pre-order. When they say they begin shipping on Sep 21, does that mean they leave the shipping facility then or arrive at my door then?
  • Reply 4 of 30
    tylersdad wrote: »
    I've always gone into the store and bought my phone in the past, so this will be the first time I get in on the pre-order. When they say they begin shipping on Sep 21, does that mean they leave the shipping facility then or arrive at my door then?

I've only bought one in the store. All my pre-orders arrived at my door on launch day.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    christophb wrote: »
    I'm eager to see the teardown process. I wonder if this phone is more easily assembled.

You access the front glass immediately after taking out the two screws so I would think that would be a bonus. However, with so much added into the front panel I don't think it'll be cheap to replace. I'm wagering iFixit will deem it easier to repair but more costly to buy some components.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    I've only bought one in the store. All my pre-orders arrived at my door on launch day.

One year I got it the day before the launch date.
  • Reply 7 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPhone 5

That. Looks. Hot. 

Incredibly stylish. 

• Reply 8 of 30
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    You access the front glass immediately after taking out the two screws so I would think that would be a bonus. However, with so much added into the front panel I don't think it'll be cheap to replace. I'm wagering iFixit will deem it easier to repair but more costly to buy some components.

What was added to the front panel? With 4 and I think 4S, you had to replace the entire display module anyway. Supposedly one could just replace the digitizer, but I don't think that can be done well without a skilled hand, a fixture and a clean room, because the digitizer was glued to the display. Removing the old digitizer without damaging the LCD, removing the adhesive residue, applying new adhesive and attaching it without bubbles or specks, that's a lot to expect. It was just easier to replace the whole display assembly.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    One year I got it the day before the launch date.

I bet Fed-Ex drivers dread iPhone day. I should ask him this time around and also ask how they feel about Samsung Galaxy S I or II or III day.
  • Reply 10 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

That. Looks. Hot. 

Incredibly stylish. 

I'm very happy it's more aluminum and less glass.

• Reply 11 of 30
    jeffdm wrote: »
    What was added to the front panel? With 4 and I think 4S, you had to replace the entire display module anyway. Supposedly one could just replace the digitizer, but I don't think that can be done well without a skilled hand, a fixture and a clean room, because the digitizer was glued to the display.

It was made more complex to manufacturer and it's larger so it could be pricer to replace.

I bet Fed-Ex drivers dread iPhone day. I should ask him this time around and also ask how they feel about Samsung Galaxy S I or II or III day.

Because of the number of stops, probably, but it's also light packages and a bunch of people who are very happy to see them.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    I'm very happy it's more aluminum and less glass.

I'm very happy they are using glass for the back inserts and not plastic. It's pretty amazing that they have 725 choices to find an exact match. We tend to think of these devices as being all exactly the same but the reality is quite different. I wonder if the 725 figure is just a new marketing spin (yes, it's definitely being stated for marketing reasons) or if this number really is very, very high for a consumer device's fit and finish.
  • Reply 13 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I think most people buy Android phones in the stores.  

• Reply 14 of 30

There's no doubt Apple is going to push as many phones as humanly possible in the Sept quarter to boost their financials. Imagine if the launch date was Oct 1. That happy date would be marred with a tragic (by Apple standards) quarterly financial report.

Apple stopped attending MacWorld conventions because they didn't want to be forced to have a deadline for new products, and yet they still have forced deadlines because of shareholder demands.

• Reply 15 of 30

Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

…yet they still have forced deadlines because of shareholder demands.

Screw 'em. They really shouldn't care.

The most public proof that Apple did something wrong this time around is right in the stock price. It's not down. It wasn't even down yesterday. It's up… and that's disturbing.

• Reply 16 of 30
    I think most people buy Android phones in the stores.  

I shoulda added something to indicate sarcasm on the Galaxy day. :)

One of many great things with the iPhone (IMHO) is the fact that I don't have to walk into a store and deal with a mobile phone salesperson.
  • Reply 17 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm very happy they are using glass for the back inserts and not plastic. It's pretty amazing that they have 725 choices to find an exact match. We tend to think of these devices as being all exactly the same but the reality is quite different. I wonder if the 725 figure is just a new marketing spin (yes, it's definitely being stated for marketing reasons) or if this number really is very, very high for a consumer device's fit and finish.

Fit and finish is a *very* high priority with Apple. You won't find that level of attention anywhere else. Glass, aluminum . . . materials matter. 

• Reply 18 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

There's no doubt Apple is going to push as many phones as humanly possible in the Sept quarter to boost their financials.

I have some doubts about this assertion.  I'm willing to believe they want to sell as many phones as possible, but I'm not convinced they're setting their release schedule with an eye towards quarterly results.  Do you have any evidence to support this argument or is it mostly speculative?

• Reply 19 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

I have some doubts about this assertion.  I'm willing to believe they want to sell as many phones as possible, but I'm not convinced they're setting their release schedule with an eye towards quarterly results.  Do you have any evidence to support this argument or is it mostly speculative?

It is 100% speculative, as you well know. However it is educated speculation considering missing financial earnings is viewed as bad news and iPhone launch day numbers are viewed as good news. If Apple waited until October to release iPhone 5, their 4th quarter financial report would have been bad news in the middle of what should be the great news of iPhone launch day sales numbers. No one would want bad news in the middle of good news. So I feel my speculation is justifiable, if not evidential.

• Reply 20 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Screw 'em. They really shouldn't care.

The most public proof that Apple did something wrong this time around is right in the stock price. It's not down. It wasn't even down yesterday. It's up… and that's disturbing.

I'd love to see Apple go private again. I know it would take years for Apple to buyback all it's stock and I know Apple would have to find some way to incentivize top employees to stick with the company, but wouldn't it be glorious not to have to bend to the whim of revenue and profit seeking shareholders (within and outside the company).