iPhone 5 preorders begin Friday at midnight Pacific, 3 a.m. Eastern

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Customers looking to be among the first to buy the iPhone 5 will be able to place their order in the U.S. starting at 12:01 Pacific Time, 3:01 a.m. Eastern on Friday, Sept. 14.

Preorders

U.S. carriers Verizon and Sprint both confirmed that customers will be able to preorder the iPhone 5 starting just after midnight Pacific Time. Apple and AT&T have not yet given their preorder times, but based on years past, it's likely they will begin taking orders at the same time.

Like last year, Apple is also offering customers the ability to check their eligibility for upgrading to a new iPhone. The iPhone 5 starts at $199 when subsidized by a new two-year service contract.

Customers hoping to preorder an iPhone 5 and receive it on the launch date of Sept. 21 should probably act quickly. Last year, the iPhone 4S sold out of its launch day supply in 24 hours, after which new buyers were quoted an estimated arrival of one to two weeks.

For those who miss out on preorders, units will also be available at Apple's retail stores starting at 8 a.m. local time on the Sept. 21 launch date.

Next week's iPhone launch will be the largest ever for Apple, as the iPhone 5 will go on sale in 9 countries on the first day. A week later it will debut in 22 more nations, making a total of 31 before the end of September. Apple has said the iPhone 5 will be available in a total of 100 countries on 240 carriers by the end of December.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    The Apple website mentions the pricing as unsubsidized. Did I miss the announcement that there will also be "unlocked" iPhone 5s available immediately?
  • Reply 2 of 65
    Waiting for Friday...
  • Reply 3 of 65

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    Just so I am not late to the party, we are talking late Thursday night, rolled over into 12:01 am Friday?

• Reply 4 of 65
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    I need an automatic iPhone pre-order app like one of those ebay snipe apps...
  • Reply 5 of 65

Yes 12:01 am is what all major carriers are doing as well. Who is staying up to midnight tonight?

• Reply 6 of 65
    last year i woke up at 3am ET to pre-order the 4S but Apple/VZN had system issues so I couldn't order it after trying for an hour. I went back to bed and woke up at 7am ET and was able to preorder it.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    I hope the websites are set up to allow pre-ordering a subsidized phone as a new line on an existing account...
  • Reply 8 of 65

This is absolutely stupid. Not only did they pass up an opportunity to create less inconvenience for their customers in the East and Midwest, but Apple has also simultaneously increased the chances of crashing their systems (or making them slow and buggy) by not staggering the online release time.

Back to ordering frustrations at wake-up time on the East Coast. Such b-s. 

• Reply 9 of 65
    gadgetman wrote: »
    The Apple website mentions the pricing as unsubsidized. Did I miss the announcement that there will also be "unlocked" iPhone 5s available immediately?

Gsm phones bought full price are unlocked.

Also Verizon isn't grandfathering unlimited plans if you get a subsidy so Apple would want to keep those sales in house by letting you buy full price now.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    This is absolutely stupid. Not only did they pass up an opportunity to create less inconvenience for their customers in the East and Midwest, but Apple has also simultaneously increased the chances of crashing their systems (or making them slow and buggy) by not staggering the online release time.

But then the west coast folks bitch cause the other zones got all the launch day phones
  • Reply 11 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

Yes 12:01 am is what all major carriers are doing as well. Who is staying up to midnight tonight?

I'm staying up to order one for my wife. I can sell her iPhone 4 on eBay and recoup quite a bit of $$$. I can't get a new phone until June of 2013 on AT&T because I bought an iPhone 4S last November.

Guess I might as well wait for the iPhone 6. Probably for the better anyway. Sure, the hardware is good, but I SERIOUSLY wish that Apple would do something with the dated-looking/feeling OS. Perhaps some widgets, more glanceable information, SOMETHING. Hell, just give us the ability to see weather on the lockscreen without having to unlock the damn thing.

For a phone to be so advanced underneath, the overall UI feels exactly like it looks: like something from 2007. Here's to hoping that Apple spruces things up with iOS 7.

• Reply 12 of 65

Honestly people what are you upgrading FOR? The 4S is still a good device. What was the killer feature that apple announced that you need an upgrade?

• Reply 13 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberjedi View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    Just so I am not late to the party, we are talking late Thursday night, rolled over into 12:01 am Friday?

Thank you for asking this. I've been wondering the same thing myself. It's tonight at 12:01 PST?

• Reply 14 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

Honestly people what are you upgrading FOR? The 4S is still a good device. What was the killer feature that apple announced that you need an upgrade?

I have an iPhone 4 through AT&T. I'm leaving AT&T for Verizon, so getting an iPhone 5 is a no-brainer.

• Reply 15 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

0_o  Not quite sure if this is a troll comment. What you're saying is that Apple should geo-locate IPs to help with staggering the order times? I anticipate that trying to handle that would lead to a lot of complaints. (Or do you have a proposal for how this might be handled?)

• Reply 16 of 65

Quote:

No, THAT is absolutely stupid. One time means equal opportunity for all. It's the same every year. You're better off arguing 12a EDT, 9p PDT. No one's taking your phone away, don't want to get up at 3am, preorder at 6 or 7 when you get up. 

• Reply 17 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

I have an iPhone 4 through AT&T. I'm leaving AT&T for Verizon, so getting an iPhone 5 is a no-brainer.

THat i can understand, but this video is how i feel when i hear people rushing out to get the new iPhone

• Reply 18 of 65

Tonight, after you eat your dinner, take a shower, and watch the late show.... wait for the little hand on the clock to be on the "Three" and the big hand to be on the "One", Then click buy 

Hope this helps image

• Reply 19 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

No, THAT is absolutely stupid. One time means equal opportunity for all. It's the same every year. You're better off arguing 12a EDT, 9p PDT. No one's taking your phone away, don't want to get up at 3am, preorder at 6 or 7 when you get up. 

Looks like I don't have the monopoly on stupidity.

How do you think they handle a release across 31 countries, genius?

(Same question to the other couple of silly responses to my post, since I don't wish to waste my time repeating myself).

• Reply 20 of 65

Quote:

Looks like I don't have the monopoly on stupidity.

How do you think they handle a release across 31 countries, genius?

(Same question to the other couple of silly responses to my post, since I don't wish to waste my time repeating myself).

The United States of America is one country genius, class dismissed.