iPhone 5 preorders begin Friday at midnight Pacific, 3 a.m. Eastern

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65

Setting alarm now.

• Reply 22 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

The United States of America is one country genius, class dismissed. 

Wow. I did not know that! Not bad for an average Joe....?

• Reply 23 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

Honestly people what are you upgrading FOR? The 4S is still a good device. What was the killer feature that apple announced that you need an upgrade?

There are those of us, myself included, that are upgrading from a 4. I'm sure some are even upgrading from a 3gS or older believe it or not!

• Reply 24 of 65
    Honestly people what are you upgrading FOR? The 4S is still a good device. What was the killer feature that apple announced that you need an upgrade?

Bizarre comment. As estolinski said, there are many people who do not have 4S that will be upgrading (I expect the majority of 4S owners won't bother).

What did you upgrade to the 4S FOR? The 4 was still a good device at the time. What was the killer feature in it that made you upgrade? Siri?
  • Reply 25 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I'm staying up to order one for my wife. I can sell her iPhone 4 on eBay and recoup quite a bit of $$$. I can't get a new phone until June of 2013 on AT&T because I bought an iPhone 4S last November.

Guess I might as well wait for the iPhone 6. Probably for the better anyway. Sure, the hardware is good, but I SERIOUSLY wish that Apple would do something with the dated-looking/feeling OS. Perhaps some widgets, more glanceable information, SOMETHING. Hell, just give us the ability to see weather on the lockscreen without having to unlock the damn thing.

For a phone to be so advanced underneath, the overall UI feels exactly like it looks: like something from 2007. Here's to hoping that Apple spruces things up with iOS 7.

I'm in the same boat, right now I'm on the fence. I like being one of the first to pre order so you actually get your phone on launch day. Versus waiting a month or so to get it. I think improvements could be made on Apple's apps and not necessarily the software. I wish IOS 6 was released before preorders so I could get a chance to play with and see it goes and such.

• Reply 26 of 65

I'm upgrading from a 4s, for what it's worth to the person who asked, above.

My situation is a bit different, my oldest daughter is ready for an iPhone, and I'm using her upgrade to get the 5, trading the 4s to her.

In fact, I've situated it now so that each year, I have an upgrade available.  My wife next year (doesn't care about the latest phones really), Me the following year, Daughter again in year 3, and so on.  It's good to be king.

• Reply 27 of 65
    So help me, AT&T if you screw this one up....
  • Reply 28 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyinscotland View Post

Bizarre comment. As estolinski said, there are many people who do not have 4S that will be upgrading (I expect the majority of 4S owners won't bother).

What did you upgrade to the 4S FOR? The 4 was still a good device at the time. What was the killer feature in it that made you upgrade? Siri?

Siri, wanted a bigger capacity, the camera, and I liked the color white. On the fence right now if I want to spend 649 for a 64 gb white. Just to have more capacity, and a bigger screen. Seems to be it, since IOS 6 on the 4s will allow you to take Panoramatic photos and every other feature they announced.

• Reply 29 of 65

FRICK'S SAKE. People were whining that there's not enough reason to upgrade from their 4S even though Apple doesn't mean for people to upgrade every year… and now there are people whining that others ARE upgrading from their 4S'. 

Completely ludicrous.

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The movie "Gone In 60 Seconds" comes to mind.

• Reply 30 of 65

Hi! This Is Samantha. Yesterday itself itself it got launched. It is similar to the Other iPhone but the Screen is Bigger and amazing finish. Soon I am also gonna replace mine.

• Reply 31 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberjedi View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    Just so I am not late to the party, we are talking late Thursday night, rolled over into 12:01 am Friday?

Yes. Get some sleep! I'm on the east coast! Ack! :)

• Reply 32 of 65

Usually there is an $18 "upgrade fee" that they charge. This time, I noticed that they want $36.

You mean like that?
  • Reply 33 of 65
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Why not?  I buy the new one for $200, sell the old one for $400, get a refreshed battery, casing, faster processor.  Why in the world would anyone not buy it?  

• Reply 34 of 65

Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

On the fence right now if I want to spend 649 for a 64 gb white.

$649 will only get you 16 GB. If you want 64 GB, be ready to cough up $849.

• Reply 35 of 65

Quote:

Because my contract was up in June and my 4 is missing A LOT of the iOS 6 features.  Not everyone has a 4S...

That being said, I doubt many 4S owners will upgrade.  Just like I'm not going to upgrade to a "5S" or whatever they call it.  I think it's a pretty safe guess that Apple internally plans on people being on a 2 or 3 year upgrade cycle.  Just watch what features won't be supported on the 4S when iOS 7 is announced.

• Reply 36 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Gsm phones bought full price are unlocked.

Also Verizon isn't grandfathering unlimited plans if you get a subsidy so Apple would want to keep those sales in house by letting you buy full price now.

This is NOT true.  Unsubsidized GSM phones (from ATT at least) aren't available immediately unlocked from Apple - I called them to check again.  They have a delay in providing unlocked phones, and charge extra for them.  If I remember correctly, it was a couple of weeks before they started making them available.

Also, Verizon is making a HUGE mistake not grandfathering folks into unlimited data plans, which ATT is wisely doing, and garnering good will among its historic and valued customers.  After all-  give me a break, because attrition over the years will make this population smaller and less significant, so why provide a barrier to upgrading?  Some folks will find it more economical with Verizon to just continue without a contract, and buy unsubsidized phones, to keep unlmited data plans in place (until Verizon closes this avenue, of course, purely for greed), meanwhile, you almost guarantee that no one from ATT will switch - to do so is to GUARANTEE losing your unlimited plan.

Going to LTE, with its inherent greater data usage, makes me want to continue with ATT ad-infinitum (unless and until they do away with grandfathering - then I'll look at the options available).

• Reply 37 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Hell, just give us the ability to see weather on the lockscreen without having to unlock the damn thing.

Just look out the window. 

See? That wasn't too hard.

• Reply 38 of 65
    Why are you guys acting like what I said is blasphemy? Aside from 4g, the iPhone 5 is not worth the value. We are still dealing with a piece of technology (last time I checked). In the tech world, an upgrade is justified by the added functionality the device offers. 

The iPhone 4S is still buttery smooth, arguably the smoothest smartphone interface. There isn't a single app the iPhone 4S can't handle. So in terms of usability, the iPhone 5 is still on-par with the 4S.

Once the 4S gets iOS 6 there will be no reason to upgrade to iPhone 5. No added functionality, no added memory, nothing technology wise that justifies a purchase.

No one here has answered my question, aside from upgrading from an older model, why would anyone upgrade from the 4S to the 5?
  • Reply 39 of 65

mrrodriguez, you asked why people are upgrading, then said the 4S is a good device. You never actually asked "why would anyone want to upgrade from a 4S". Besides from what I see, no one is actually arguing with you, let alone saying what you said is blasphemy.... Everyone is either upgrading from an older device, in a special circumstance (ie give 4S to relative), or just has too much money on their hands.

• Reply 40 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

$649 will only get you 16 GB. If you want 64 GB, be ready to cough up $849.

then there must be some subsidized pricing then, because when I check eligibility it says $ 649 before june 11, 2013 or $399 after.