Delta, Sheraton, Ticketmaster add support for Passbook in iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44

This is great news. I am sure it will be a bandwagon before to long.

As an aside, Starwood is owner of not just Sheraton, but also Westin, W Hotels, Le Meridien, Four Points, St. Regis, etc.

• Reply 22 of 44

I really like the idea of passbook, I have rewards cards for everywhere, but it is hard to carry them all around, so often they are at home and I need to give them my phone number, etc.  I think it will also greatly increase the number of gift cards that get redeemed as well.  How many times are you at a store you have a gift card for, but the gift card is at home?

• Reply 23 of 44
    This App is going to make the integration with all 3rd party companies easy and one app for all cards!! valet to put all the cards/tickets at one place.

We can't expect this to work equal to their own apps[ex: to change the seating etc..]
  • Reply 24 of 44
    The passport app is useless right now. When you launch it, it redirects you to the app store, which only shows a blank page.
  • Reply 25 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

I really like the idea of passbook, I have rewards cards for everywhere, but it is hard to carry them all around, so often they are at home and I need to give them my phone number, etc.  I think it will also greatly increase the number of gift cards that get redeemed as well.  How many times are you at a store you have a gift card for, but the gift card is at home?

Im curious to know if you have existing gift cards if you have the ability to scan them and put them in passbook or if its only for like e gift cards. But i do love the idea of having every thing in one place

• Reply 26 of 44

I wish Disney would incororprate this for your tickets or for their annual passholders. They have your picture in their system, so all they have to do is scan it and look at you. The only hiccup would be for the discounts, but I dont remember if they swipe your pass or not. 

• Reply 27 of 44
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    nexusphan wrote: »
    Starbucks, Delta, United and AA already supported this in their own respective apps. I want to see a company that doesn't already have barcode scanners in place adopt it. Then you can call it the apple influence. Right now its the exact same thing you can do with an android but in one place, which by itself it nice. But certainly little to no Apple influence.

That's the entire point of it.

Sure, I can use a Delta app when I fly Delta, an American app when I fly American, a United app when I fly United, a Sheraton app when I stay at Sheraton, and so on. But that's not as flexible or convenient as if you can have it all in one place.

The real question is whether Passbook will allow the same flexibility as those individual apps - changing seats, confirming reservations, etc. If so, it's a huge step forward. If not, it's more of a 'meh'.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Does Apple take a cut?
  • Reply 29 of 44
    rob53 wrote: »
    Is there anyway Apple could provide a POS system using an iPad's camera system or a separate 3D barcode scanner along with the Passbook app on an iPhone, providing current banking information, in place of a credit card or NFC system? .

Apple never would because they don't want to be a bank etc.

But their own EasyPay system shows it is possible to make an app for that.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    waverunnr wrote: »
    The passport app is useless right now. When you launch it, it redirects you to the app store, which only shows a blank page.

No joke. It doesn't launch for another week
  • Reply 31 of 44
    I wish Disney would incororprate this for your tickets or for their annual passholders. They have your picture in their system, so all they have to do is scan it and look at you. The only hiccup would be for the discounts, but I dont remember if they swipe your pass or not. 

And fast passes.
  • Reply 32 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

And fast passes.

forgot about that, its hard to keep track of those little tickets. But it would be cool if you could scan your pass on an app or passbook, I have one for me and my daughter. So scan it twice have my phone alert me that I can use the fast pass in 5 minutes show my phone to the person at the front and away you go. But is it feasible what would disneyland save money on,  paper? and be able to say they are working on being "green".

• Reply 33 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

forgot about that, its hard to keep track of those little tickets. But it would be cool if you could scan your pass on an app or passbook, I have one for me and my daughter. So scan it twice have my phone alert me that I can use the fast pass in 5 minutes show my phone to the person at the front and away you go. But is it feasible what would disneyland save money on,  paper? and be able to say they are working on being "green".

Fast passes for roller coasters? You bring your phone on roller coasters? You must be going on a whole different (lower) level of coasters than I do. No chance I'd leave anything in my pockets at Cedar Point.

• Reply 34 of 44
    I wonder if it's possible for Apple at some point to implement a secure, NFC-free payment scheme?

Something like:
    1. POS displays a QR code representing payment data (amount, destination)
    2. Phone reads QR code
    3. Phone presents payment data to user for confirmation and PIN/password input
    3. Phone displays new QR code containing both "public" payment card number (different from the actual associated CC/debit card number) as well as a hash of the amount, destination, source and a time-based one-time password.
    4. POS scans QR code from phone, sends amount, destination, source and hash to bank.
    5. Bank knows the time-based one-time password associated with the source and therefore confirm whether the hash is valid or not.

The "public" number is useless if stolen, since it can't be used for a payment unless it is paired with a hash also containing the OTP. The OTP can't be re-used before expiry since it is never actually transmitted. If the hash is sniffed, the OTP will expire long before it can be brute-forced. The payment data can't be manipulated since it would invalidate the hash.

Although I'm not a security expert so I'm sure there's a flaw somewhere in there. Anyways on the surface it seems possible if Apple's motivated.
  • Reply 35 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluefish86 View Post

I wonder if it's possible for Apple at some point to implement a secure, NFC-free payment scheme?

Something like:

1. POS displays a QR code representing payment data (amount, destination)

2. Phone reads QR code

3. Phone presents payment data to user for confirmation and PIN/password input

3. Phone displays new QR code containing both "public" payment card number (different from the actual associated CC/debit card number) as well as a hash of the amount, destination, source and a time-based one-time password.

4. POS scans QR code from phone, sends amount, destination, source and hash to bank.

5. Bank knows the time-based one-time password associated with the source and therefore confirm whether the hash is valid or not.

The "public" number is useless if stolen, since it can't be used for a payment unless it is paired with a hash also containing the OTP. The OTP can't be re-used before expiry since it is never actually transmitted. If the hash is sniffed, the OTP will expire long before it can be brute-forced. The payment data can't be manipulated since it would invalidate the hash.

Although I'm not a security expert so I'm sure there's a flaw somewhere in there. Anyways on the surface it seems possible if Apple's motivated.

Far to complicated compared to Google Wallet's current offering:

1. Card reader shows amount due. Tap phone to the card reader.

2. Enter pin on phone. Amount and retailer shows up on phone.

3. Tap card reader again to verify payment.

Even that is quite cumbersome compared to swipe and sign.

• Reply 36 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Fast passes for roller coasters? You bring your phone on roller coasters? You must be going on a whole different (lower) level of coasters than I do. No chance I'd leave anything in my pockets at Cedar Point.

I was thinking more along the lines of Steve used to sit on the board of directors for Disney right? So it would have been interesting ting to see Disney incorporate this into their ticket system. Yes if i went to six flags everything would be in a locker. You can buy your tickets online now and bring in the paper so you don't have to wait in line, but it would have been cool to look up the email on your phone have it save the tickets to your passbook and have them just scan that, to save paper and remembering to bring the paper.

• Reply 37 of 44

Quote:

What airport was the plastic thingy? I've never gotten one. I like the idea. I have always gotten strange looks from the metal detector guy when I say my boarding pass is electronic and on my phone. I don't travel all that often tho.

It was one of Atlanta, Philly, or Houston (Bush not Hobby)

I think it was Bush actually back in May

• Reply 38 of 44

Quote:

I agree! (By the way I love Cedar Point) Though Cedar Fair has launched a bunch of applications for their parks where you can buy admission tickets on their app and scan them at the turn styles to enter the park. Its pretty sweet system. Though I would love them to expand it for season pass holders so we can add our cards to the application and use it that way. Then when I visit my home park of valleyfair I only need to bring my iPhone. 

(Always remember to secure any and all lose articles on rides as cell phones cannot be out while riding!)

• Reply 39 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

I was thinking more along the lines of Steve used to sit on the board of directors for Disney right? So it would have been interesting ting to see Disney incorporate this into their ticket system. Yes if i went to six flags everything would be in a locker. You can buy your tickets online now and bring in the paper so you don't have to wait in line, but it would have been cool to look up the email on your phone have it save the tickets to your passbook and have them just scan that, to save paper and remembering to bring the paper.

You guys must not be up to date on what Disney is doing with their new FastPass system. They're basically encoding everything into your room key now. They also have a new app for people not staying on property. It's still in test, but it's working pretty well, apparently.

By the way, Starbucks is now showing up when you go to the App Store from Passbook, but if you hit Open, it takes you to the Starbucks app, not Passbook, and there doesn't appear to be any way to turn it on.

• Reply 40 of 44

Alaska Airlines says that they will be part of passbook by the end of the year / early 2013