South Korea called "courageous" for investigating Samsung's patent abuse

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by xRCx View Post

Such as?

go ahead, say the rectangle.....

Apple is patenting designs copied from Braun (here)

Apple patented slide to unlock. That was already around on WinCE (here).

Siri was first? Check Xiaoi bot was out in 2010 (here)

Should I continue?

• Reply 22 of 41
    heffeque wrote: »

Should I continue?

Continue? I'm waiting for you to start with a valid claim.
  • Reply 23 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by heffeque View Post

Should I continue?

You're entitled to your opinion, as . . . some dude on the internet. 

Courts and juries, however, are also entitled to their *informed* opinion. 

Apple holds patents for some of the technologies in their products. That's really all that needs to be said. 

• Reply 24 of 41
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Should I continue?

"The device is unlocked if contact with the display corresponds to a predefined gesture for unlocking the device. The device displays one or more unlock images with respect to which the predefined gesture is to be performed in order to unlock the device."

There is something missing from the Neonode, something that is specifically described as being part of Apple's patent,

Can you guess what it is?

Here's a hint:-

• Reply 25 of 41

Just as long as "courageous" doesn't translate to the "courageous congress investigations"

where industries destroy oceans, bribe (called campaign donations) those who regulate them, and write their own bills.

The usual investigation costs a lots of money (due no doubt to catering) and typically finds nothing to be concerned about.

• Reply 26 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

"The device is unlocked if contact with the display corresponds to a predefined gesture for unlocking the device. The device displays one or more unlock images with respect to which the predefined gesture is to be performed in order to unlock the device."

There is something missing from the Neonode, something that is specifically described as being part of Apple's patent,

Can you guess what it is?

Here's a hint:-

Exactly.

• Reply 27 of 41

It amazes me how people are so ill informed about the specifics of some patents.  They take the time to comment, but don't take the time to research.  Bloggers are not patent attorneys or journalists.  They offer their opinion on the subject, and it is seldom an informed one.  It's all about the fine print in the patent, and if that fine print will hold up under legal scrutiny.  Just because someone feels a certain way about patents does not make them any less valid.  Intellectual property is just that, property, implying ownership.  If a person or company has offered them up as SEP or FRAND, then they should have to abide by those terms, not use them for extortion.  If they are private, non-FRAND, then all bets are off regardless of who the company is.  Why is this so difficult to comprehend?  

• Reply 28 of 41
    The South Korean government, like any government are all show. They are not going to bite the hand that feeds them, nor do they want to. They want the Samsung profits to continue to roll in and line their pockets. I bet the investigators will make a big show of the "investigation" only to find that Samsung is not doing anything wrong. Case in point, their CEO pardoned for bribing government officials. If they weren't tough enough to stand up to Samsung then, they will fold like cheap lawn chairs now. Nothing changes, just like any government in the world. To quote my daughter' Aladdin movie: "Remember the Golden Rule: The one with the gold makes the rule. "
  • Reply 29 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

You're entitled to your opinion, as . . . some dude on the internet. 

Courts and juries, however, are also entitled to their *informed* opinion. 

Apple holds patents for some of the technologies in their products. That's really all that needs to be said. 

Yes... as informed as the people that gave Microsoft the patent for the scroll mouse (here).

Your faith in judges is outstanding.

• Reply 30 of 41
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Should I continue?

So this is your argument?

Wow.

• Reply 31 of 41

Quote:

Should I continue?

We're used to these sort of nonsense allegations by now, and they aren't very interesting by themselves, given their absurdity. What is interesting is that a) these are actually presented in the first case as instances of "copying" and b) that they actually get repeated by some number of people as instances of "copying".

There are of course, a couple of obvious probable sources for this misinformation: Samsung, Google, and other co-conspirators, driven by the need to justify their actions and grasping at straws. Fandroids with such an emotional commitment to anything Android that the need to exonerate it is so tied up with their own egos that clear judgment goes out the window. Apple haters who have an irrational need to attempt to make Apple look bad. And, of course, trolls, who just pull this stuff out even though they know how ridiculous it is.

But, regardless of the original "source", this stuff seems to take on a life of it's own, despite how ridiculous it is. Why is that? In part it's probably due to a combination of the factions mentioned above, all with a need to make their position seem more tenable. More disturbingly, I think, it's because a lot of people simply can't distinguish between mindless copying and inspiration (assuming their even was inspiration in these instances, and we aren't just looking at vague coincidences), between innovation and imitation. That's the really disturbing part of these "allegations": that someone could actually look at these examples and a) actually think they represent instances of "copying" and b) think that this alleged "copying" somehow equates to the actual copying that Samsung, Google and other co-conspirators engaged in. I guess part of that is that they just want to believe a certain idea, so anything, no matter how weak, that can reinforce that idea is embraced as "evidence".

It's a sad commentary on human nature that some will throw away logic, reason and discrimination to accept anything that supports what they want to believe. That facts often don't really matter. That a spin on reality can be just a powerful as the truth.

• Reply 32 of 41

So... your're saying that this is absurd:

But this isn't:

Hypocrisy... hypocrisy everywhere.

Still no answer about Microsoft's scroll mouse patent (here). You actually think that that's "normal"?

Also... GooPhone just patented THIS and is going to sew Apple if the iPhone 5 is remotely similar to their design.

The patent system is totally messed up. If you can't see that, you're totally blind.

• Reply 33 of 41

Also... GooPhone just patented THIS and is going to sew Apple if the iPhone 5 is remotely similar to their design.

If you think that anything will happen in this case other than arrests and imprisonment for theft of corporate secrets and intellectual property, you're totally blind.

The patent system is totally messed up. If you can't see that, you're totally blind.

Guess I'm blind for thinking that the system is fine and that idiots are abusing it. 

• Reply 34 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you think that anything will happen in this case other than arrests and imprisonment for theft of corporate secrets and intellectual property, you're totally blind.

Guess I'm blind for thinking that the system is fine and that idiots are abusing it. 

I remind you that GooPhone already patented it, so the government already recognizes it as the original, so it would be Apple copying GooPhone, not the other way around.

Apple is a big company and can probably "fix" the "problem" by pressuring the Chinese government (I'm sure they have their ways, specially now that Apple's wallet is stuffed with money... or threatening to take their production to Malaysia  or some other country... or who knows what they'll do).

Also... a system is not "fine" if there's a way of abusing it.

• Reply 35 of 41

I remind you that GooPhone already patented it, so the government already recognizes it as the original, so it would be Apple copying GooPhone, not the other way around.

… What in the world makes you think Apple hasn't patented the design of the 6th iPhone?!

Also... a system is not "fine" if there's a way of abusing it.

Then no system ever made by the hand of Man is fine, has ever been fine, or ever will be fine. Your implication is that this makes the system unusable. That is fallacy.

• Reply 36 of 41

the south koreans will cheat, lie, manipulate and bribe their way for a cheap buck.

The most recent assault by the koreans  is the international entertainment and media industry (Hallyu),  which is a propaganda push by the korean government to promote their copycat culture internationally. "The Presidential Council on Nation Branding" and "Voluntary Agency Network of Korea" (VANK) spend over $150 million dollars a year promoting and hyping the korean brand to the world.

Think the above paragraph is paranoid speculation? have a look at the their recent media mind washing propaganda they have done to promote kpoop artist PSY. A fat nobody south korean looser who mysteriously has got  120+million views counts in under a month.

This is a joint action of pathetic south korean scum “YG Entertainment,  the Presidential Council on Nation Branding and Voluntary Agency Network of Korea VANK

who use zombie" korean starcraft” and Warcraft server farms to get view counts up by repetitively querying their artist videos on youtube, this is common procedure in korea. The korean governments propaganda outlets (allkpop.comsoompi.com) and paid off media outlets  will “claim” that this is a new viral craze is a huge hit and people around the world love korean culture and music because of trickery like this. koreans do tricks like this to artificially pimp their non-existent culture to westerners.

Don’t you ever wonder why various unknown south korean videos get 50 million views in 1 week?

Be smart and DO not fall for the pathetic korean governments social engineering tricks.

I hate EVERYTHING korean because they steal copy and claim it as their own.

i am talking BS? live in the states? Go to your local sushi bar or Japanese restaurant. In almost all instances they are not owned by Japanese-Americans but korean-Americans. the koreans know that their native cuisine is disgusting poison (kimchi and dog meat anyone?) and people pay more for Quality Japanese cuisine. koreans "pretend" to be Japanese and sell inferior food with the high price. 

That tactic is very similar to what samsung did to Apple. Copy the superior leader, pretend to be the superior leader, sell inferior products and claim the profits!

Koreans will do any trick to scam money out of people.

I hate koreans who do this and suggest everyone should BOYCOTT KOREAN products NOW

CARS-kia hyundai, licensed GDI direct injection engine technology from Mitsubishi of Japan back in 1999, claims it as their own invention. Copies honda, one example is hyundais logo (H logo is ripped of from hondas H). copy and pretend, rinse and repeat....

kia forte- total rip off of the legendary Honda Civic.    http://montrealracing.com/images/0410kia.jpg

TECHNOLOGY-easy: samscum- rips off and violates apples patents, got caught resulting in multi Bilion dollar fine.

MUSIC-kara-snsd. kpop. fake no talent losers who bleach their face, get tons of face surgery and dye their hair blonde to look white, plagiarises US artists

BOYCOTT THE FOLLOWING KOREAN PRODUCTS

SAMSUNG

LG

Hyundai

Kumho/Hankook Tires

kia

Hynix

Hanjin

ALL korean propaganda outlets such as YG Entertainment and S.M. Entertainment

IT is perfectly ok buy apple products  that have got some korean components such as memory, SSD and displays because samsung,LG,hynix  make little profit on their OEM and supplier division.  Koreans make make the gains on the branded devices like  TVs, cars and cellphones  which have huge profit margins.

HIT south korea HARD AND BOYCOTT SOUTH KOREAN COMPANIES! 

• Reply 37 of 41

Quote:

… What in the world makes you think Apple hasn't patented the design of the 6th iPhone?!

Then no system ever made by the hand of Man is fine, has ever been fine, or ever will be fine. Your implication is that this makes the system unusable. That is fallacy.

Not in China, otherwise GooPhone wouldn't have been able to patent their phone.

The current patent system is unusable and is being systematically abused. Example: Miscrosoft was given the patent for the scroll mouse (link above). I still haven't heard your informed opinion about it. You seem to keep it out of the conversation for some reason.

• Reply 38 of 41

Not in China, otherwise GooPhone wouldn't have been able to patent their phone.

You think that duplicate patents have never been issued? Really?

The current patent system is unusable and is being systematically abused. 

Completely incorrect, partially correct. 

Example: Miscrosoft was given the patent for the scroll mouse (link above). I still haven't heard your informed opinion about it. You seem to keep it out of the conversation for some reason.

Because it has nothing to do with the conversation.

• Reply 39 of 41

Quote:

Because it has nothing to do with the conversation.

That ridiculous patent has nothing to do with the fact that the patent system is flawed?

It's totally related. Your argument is invalid.

• Reply 40 of 41

That ridiculous patent has nothing to do with the fact that the patent system is flawed?

It's totally related. Your argument is invalid.

The act of being able to patent a hardware or software feature is valid. The existence of enough prior art makes that one invalid.

Were it the first instance thereof, of course it could be patented.